The SINGLE most important thing for your preschool child ...

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What is the SINGLE most important thing you would want for your preschool child?

Character Development
65%
Independence
No votes
Communication Skills
12%
Emotional Intelligence
8%
Intellectual Intelligence
4%
Creativity - think out of the box
4%
Arithmetic Intelligence
No votes
Music Literacy
4%
Excellance in sports
No votes
Reading/Writing Skills
4%

Total votes : 26

The SINGLE most important thing for your preschool child ...

Postby pingering » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Parents,

I thought it would be interesting to know what would be the foremost thing parents today would want for their kids, if they could only choose one item.

In those good old days of the past, it was fairly straightforward. Upbringing usually comprises play, play and more play, and one or two years of kindergarten, whereby the emphasis is more on learning how to write 123/ABC and read basic words than on learning how to add 10-digit numbers.

Today, things are a lot more complicated, and there seem to be so many things that parents need to do for their kids, that there just doesn't seem enough time to do it all.

If you could choose just ONE item, what would you choose? Of course, you could also suggest something that is outside the list, such as "Survival skills"? :-)

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Angelight » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

I chose character development becos I've read somewhere that the first 5 years of a child is the most important for character development. After 5 yo, the character is more or less formed and unlikely to change much.

Angelight
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby totto » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 am

My choice would be in the following order:

1. character building
2. creativity
3. communication skills
4. emotional intelligence
5. reading and writing

I agree with Angelight that character development is crucial in the first years of children development. Later in life, it is the experiences encountered by the child that will further mould their inbuilt character structure.

Close working relationships between parents and school will strengthen the steps towards building a strong character in our children.

totto
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:56 pm

besides Church kindie, are there really existence of preschools that 'teaches' character development? i doubt so. it is the kind of teachers that exist in the school and the way these teachers interact with their students that the students learn social graces from.

i chose intellectual knowledge cos EQ and Character building, i can do at home.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby art_n_i » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm

The SINGLE most important thing for a preschooler is a GOOD TEACHER, all encompassing.

art_n_i
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby magic mushroom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:14 pm

i couldnt agree with you more art_n_i

:celebrate:

everything else would fall into place if you get a good teacher!!!

magic mushroom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummy of 2 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 pm

I also voted for character development, as all other attributes will not do anything for the child, if character is not developed properly. I would think the parents and family environment is more impt in the early years, rather than teachers?

mummy of 2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fristrom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 pm

My choice as follows:

1. Character Development / Independence
2. Music / Sports

Just thought kids have more than enough time to learn other things when they go to school. After all, "pre-school" supposedly mean "before formal schooling"?

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby DesertWind » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I was debating between Character Development and Independence. But I thought Independence when they are so young may not be realistic although this is very important since we are always training them to eat independently, self-feeding, toilet training, wearing clothes etc..

But in the end, I decided on Character Development because I guess this is more important than physical independence. My own definition of Character Development would be developing social skills, politeness, be generous, learn to share, learn to control anger, learn to show love etc. But somehow I also thought that each child has his/her own innate character somewhat form by nature. We may not be able to do much to nurture it.

When I see my 3 yo boy, I think he has a sweet nature, loves to smooch all of us including his grandpa & grandma. But he also has a temper. I really can't say his sweet nature was developed by us. As for Moral Education, it will have to be from the Christian religion and for him to know God in due time.
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child