Doing assignments

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Doing assignments

Postby jenniferlsf » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 am

Hi, how do make my child complete her assessments which I have given to her. She is very lazy. Every time, I give her assessments to do, she will wait till I come back from work to sit with her to do or does not want to do at all. Furthermore, she only does MCQ questions. As for comprehension, she is lazy and prefer to tell me the answers verbally. She did badly for her SA2. How to make learning English more fun to her.

jenniferlsf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Doing assignments

Postby Leanne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:17 am

How old is your child?

jenniferlsf wrote:Hi, how do make my child complete her assessments which I have given to her. She is very lazy. Every time, I give her assessments to do, she will wait till I come back from work to sit with her to do or does not want to do at all. Furthermore, she only does MCQ questions. As for comprehension, she is lazy and prefer to tell me the answers verbally. She did badly for her SA2. How to make learning English more fun to her.

Leanne
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby peterch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 am

what about giving her some rewards for improving her effort.

I did that last time, and then I brought my DD to do assignments at Mc Donald's once in a while.

Now she is ok in doing her assignments by herself as she wants to be in a top class in her school. :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm

This will work with only certain types of children (not me i am afraid though), but you could try reverse psychology.

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Assignments

Postby jenniferlsf » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks. My kid is now primary one. Next year is primary 2. She is not those worry about getting zero or fail in tests or whatever. To her, more import is play. I have tried rewards with her favourite sweets, biscuits, crackers or brought her to her favourite place to play but after a while, no effect. I have used out all the methods that I have thought of but cannot.

jenniferlsf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Assignments

Postby blur-daddy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02 am

Hey,

Sounded like my DS2 - he's those happy-go-lucky type... and now in P2. Still ask me from time to time on "why must I go to school?"

Just be carefult about reward, as it is not lasting and it might make matter worst. Kid will expect rewards in whatever things he/she involved in. It is normal for P1 not to have self-discipline lah... i.e. she expect u to work with her, instead of her, doing everything by herself.

For my case, what's important is for me to understand how DS2 tick... i.e. how he learnt, and motivate him from there. I bought him to Mac, not as a reward for him, but more of a conducive environment for a heart-to-heart talk. I set up some ground rules, whereby if he commit 30-45 min everyday for his writing, end of holiday, his handwriting will improve. From then on, keep a close monitoring lor. It just happened my DS2 play by rules and like structured time-table approach. So it is up to me to enforce.

jenniferlsf wrote:Hi,

Thanks. My kid is now primary one. Next year is primary 2. She is not those worry about getting zero or fail in tests or whatever. To her, more import is play. I have tried rewards with her favourite sweets, biscuits, crackers or brought her to her favourite place to play but after a while, no effect. I have used out all the methods that I have thought of but cannot.

blur-daddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Suz855 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:34 pm

To learn the language, personnally I think the key is reading, thus instead of assigning her to do assignment, why don't you let her choose a book to read or bring her to the library or bookshop during your free time

:oops:

Suz855
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Doing assignments

Postby TulipisPink » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

jenniferlsf wrote:Hi, how do make my child complete her assessments which I have given to her. She is very lazy. Every time, I give her assessments to do, she will wait till I come back from work to sit with her to do or does not want to do at all. Furthermore, she only does MCQ questions. As for comprehension, she is lazy and prefer to tell me the answers verbally. She did badly for her SA2. How to make learning English more fun to her.

Hi Jenniferlsf

Different method for different kid. Perhaps she wanted you to keep her accompany. Try to allocate a short time (eg. 30hrs read together time) to do something together just before bed. Go to library together to select an interesting story book and read together each night. Could do role play in the story book, etc.

as for my kid, when he was in Pri.1 & 2, he love to have a daily timetables for his school holiday. set some time for assignment time, tv time, play time in a day.

Now he was Pri.3 and no longer love timetables, he started to know to plan his assignment/ reading time. Just set a target for each week for him to achieve. Once he achieved it, we will go out together to window shopping or exercise. :celebrate:

Hope this help.

cheers

Pink

TulipisPink
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Assignments

Postby jenniferlsf » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have tried my best, even read story books to her every night before sleep, brought her to library, talk to her. Any chance for me to make study more interesting for her? Thanks.

jenniferlsf
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:36 am

i know its tough. my #2 also like. he wont work for the rewards but will keep asking for them.

so when he does his work i hv to sit wif him. the min i leave he also go n play. tho just k1, such behavr can persist to p1 i believe, if nothing done.

i must standby my supercane, coach him side by side, stimes remind him, "u want ur hotwheels car? then mus do ur wk".
stimes the child doesnt want to do cos they also find it difficult.
i dont hv any foolproof solution. i use a combination of threat, punishment, reward, nagging, etc but i set my expectations. but kids at this age, they dont understand why must study. so stimes u no choice must send him or her to tuition.

i struggle to teach my boy maths but after he attended an enrichment class (enopi) he was able to do the hmwk himself maybe cos he finds it easy and more motivated to do. but i stiill struggle with other subjects.

when i choose assessmt bks, i try to get those with colored pages and some pictures and bigger fonts and not too wordy type.

eg for eng, there is the 'topical grammar bk (learners publishing)', 'better grammar bk", "better comprehension" - all full page color.

ch n math i hvnt found colored ones.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child