adult tv show

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

adult tv show

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:03 pm

just a poll, how many of u let ur kids (meaning preschoolers and say, below p4) watch 7pm adult tv show?

my kids only watch kids shows so far but i wonder if shd gradually free them to watch adult shows (not violent or sexual ones of cos)

if the kids are being protected, at what age can let go?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby peterch » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:56 pm

my kids watch 9 o'clock movie :?

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pingering » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 pm

My kids rarely, if ever at all, watches TV shows at home, except for the occasional VCD/DVD materials such as Hi 5 and educational videos. About the only time they get to watch TV (free-to-air channels) is during those times they are at my parent place.

But guess my case is more on the extreme side. And then, it's partly because we ourselves hardly have the time to turn on the TV when we are at home anyway!

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 pm

me too. my kids are in childcare. elder one in pri sch but after class is either tuition or do sch hmwk. only time to watch is 30min-1hr after dinner.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:38 am

oops... my 6yo watches a lot of TV since he was a baby... started from educational VCDs then progressed to Okto, cartoon network, now 7pm "Ai", 9pm Ch 8 shows, and occasionally Jackie Chan old movies... plus his Ultraman VCDs. He does his work and assignments when asked to but I need to switch off the TV or he can't concentrate. But I must say he is good at remembering all the TV characters' names like Guo Congmin and Xie Mingming... :| So I use his love for TV shows when drilling him in Hanyu Pinyin.

My 1yo also loves watching Elmo most of her waking hours! I know how some parents here ban the TV for the first 3 yrs of their babies' lives... but how do you stop a cute baby who toddles towards the DVD wallet to choose her DVDs? She has learnt a lot from Elmo though and her development milestones are great!

I think it's fine to let them watch the news and grown-up shows together with us as we would use the opportunity to educate them on the real world. If he happens to see people kissing, we tell him he has to get married to do that. When it gets graphic, we just switch the channel. When the news reported on the Downtown East incident, I took the opportunity to talk to him about gangs and the consequences. Life is not all rosy and the world is not Sesame Street...

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:29 am

cherrygal wrote:I think it's fine to let them watch the news and grown-up shows together with us as we would use the opportunity to educate them on the real world.

Yeeup, the key word here is Parental Guidance (PG). :hi5:

cherrygal wrote:If he happens to see people kissing, we tell him he has to get married to do that.

Yeeup again! :hi5: Mine would cover their eyes and just ask, "Finish oredi?"

cherrygal wrote:When it gets graphic, we just switch the channel.

:lol: My girls will auto-do the flipping of channels or walk away and say
they need stuff like water in the kitchen or stuff like that. :lol: Cherrygal..
there's also the audio part, some scenes have "sound effects" so need
to mute it when channels aren't flipped in record speed. :lol:

cherrygal wrote: When the news reported on the Downtown East incident, I took the opportunity to talk to him about gangs and the consequences.

These are perfect timing for those precious teachable moments!
Spontaneous!

cherrygal wrote:Life is not all rosy and the world is not Sesame Street...

:hi5:

I couldn't have said it better myself! :salute:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:02 am

thanks. i also wonder whr i am too protective.
they all along watch only kids show (not even Ben 10 but non fighting types like thomas, nursery rhymes, dora)

but i notice my #1 girl v kiasi. she dont dare to watch movies last time cos the sound so loud and dramatic actions even for shows like 'sing to the dawn' where there is the bad guy. or 'cat & dog - kitty galore' - but she started to be better now.

when we walk past courts that has movies showing, if fightg type she dont dare go near.

so i think i shd open her up to the real world but eg for Ai, got gangsters, love triangles lah, scheming lah. dont know can or not. if my hubb know i let them watch, sure lecture me.

so u know, i nvr watch tv myslf since i hv kids. most of the time i m doing my things or going out.
but i do let them watch sun 10am -11pm channel 8 shows. to show the real world. but kids storyline

by theway starhub has playhse disney n can switch to ch language so my kids love to watch dibo, handy mandy, poroyo, little einstein. but these of cos too innocent lah

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 24hr-mum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:05 am

come to think of it last time our parents also let us watch anythg. that is how we learn mandarin n lots of idioms. whc is why i m considering let them watch ch 8 shows

not educational in content but a lot chinese vocab to be picked up

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pingering » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:06 pm

24hr-mum wrote:come to think of it last time our parents also let us watch anythg. that is how we learn mandarin n lots of idioms. whc is why i m considering let them watch ch 8 shows

not educational in content but a lot chinese vocab to be picked up

I'm usually wary about making such conclusions (i.e. it works for us in the past, so why not now), because the world today and 30 years ago is just too different. For instance, TV programmes 30 years ago are totally unlike what you see today - even the cartoons aren't that violent in the past (the worst you can probably see back then are shows like Ultraman).

But of course, having said that, there certainly are TV programmes that are beneficial for preschool kids. Just that for me, most if not all the benefits that you can get from watching TV can be obtained through other means without the negative effects of TV, e.g. spending time and interacting with the kids. Many studies have been done on the effects that TV had on young kids.

I suspect (I may be wrong of course) that a large part of the reason why parents allow their kids to watch TV is because it is a way to give themselves some time while keeping the kids pre-occupied.

pingering
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 am

Hey Buds! :hi5:

Hey 24-hr mum, it's ok to be protective. You're lucky your kids still dunno what they are missing out. My son discusses the 9pm shows with his childcare classmates! hahaha

Regarding "Ai", my son knows that the stuff inside are all fake coz I taught him that they are all actors, there is a camera and everything is unreal. As for "Ma Sha" being a nice gangster, I told him that only happens on TV. The real gangsters are more like those at Downtown East.

He is aware that people in TV sets are just faking it when he saw Zheng Geping and Hong Huifang with their family at United Square. They are real people after all. We get to see many artistes at Thomson area so he is familiar with them.

Hey Pingering, I don't think it is possible to shield kids away from the mass media and Internet nowadays. But you are right that sometimes we are guilty of using the TV as a babysitter. However, I believe in watching grown-up TV shows together with the kids and using what's on the screen as a teaching tool. As Buds put it, Parental Guidance is important.

My son can even switch the channel to OKTO when some silly Ch8 shows (eg. The Score) are on air. He told me he didn't want to learn bad things from Huang Shinan's character. :lol:

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child