Teaching Writing for child below 4 years old

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Teaching Writing for child below 4 years old

Postby jj_1808 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Can anyone provide me tips of how to ask my son to have interest in writing.

My son is 3.5 years old and I am teaching him to write numbers and Alphabets . However, he is not so keen.

jj_1808
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:37 pm

IMHO,
Writing numbers and alphabets at this age is not so important, but hand control, hand eye coordination is. get him to scribble, doodle, colour with pencils, and when he is at it intro some writing. Go along with his interest...

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I motivate my boy by allowing him to use any marker/crayon/colour pencil he likes. As long as he writes. He will also be rewarded with heaps and heaps of praises :)

Also, my boy loves music and singing, so we create silly songs while writing. E.g. From the top to the left, from the top to the right, then across makes a big big A.

I know Letterland has great writing worksheets that the kids love (my boy attended phonics class using Letterland worksheets for 6 mths).

Mine starting scribbling and doodling since 1yo. We allow him to draw freely on his drawing block.

Find out what he likes, then start from there. Mine is very willing to write 'Ben 10' a million times :p

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Teaching Writing for child below 4 years old

Postby jedamum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:25 pm

jj_1808 wrote:Can anyone provide me tips of how to ask my son to have interest in writing.

My son is 3.5 years old and I am teaching him to write numbers and Alphabets . However, he is not so keen.

DIY some wipe clean books. download some numbers and alphabets templates, print and insert into clear folders. the kid get to write and wipe clean by themselves. insert some maze activities and/or dot-to-dot activities in between these numbers/alphabets templates.
downside is that the kid may accidentally draw on the shirt and marker stain can be very difficult to wash.
personally, i like this...http://first-school.ws/theme/alphabetp1.htm
my boy only write one set of letters a day (A-Z) instead of writing AAAAAAAAAAAx10 in a day. and since he did it daily, he knew the strokes in no time.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MoonFlower » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:53 pm

3.5 to 4 they can use those thick board crayons or trainer pencil to use and help to develop their fine motor skill. Start with lower casing if you wanna to teach alphabets. But before starting with letters, can let yr child do those tracing straight line or curve lines.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child