My child does not want to go to school

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Postby cardrona » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:09 pm

My girl has just turn 3 and is in full-time childcare since she was 20 months. She is a happy child, however, for the past two weeks, she began to show reluctance to attend school. Teachers in school did not discover anything unusual when she was at school, and all friends love to play with her. We tried talking to her, but couldn't get anything out.

Any suggestion on how to get her back to school willingly?

cardrona
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DesertWind » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi cardrona,

Are you a full-time working mum? If you try putting her to half-day childcare, would you have any help at home?

Very difficult to say since the teachers themselves could not detect anything wrong. I can only suggest perhaps your child may find full-day childcare too long and she is now "big" enough to show resistance but may not be able to fully verbalise.

:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cardrona » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

Yes, I'm in the full time job. My in-law is taking care of my second child and our niece of the same age. It will be tough for her to take care of another kid.

We had thought the children are the day care centre would be her companions to play with and she can pick up some skill from the caregivers. Still, it is possible full day at the childcare is too long for her, and she's getting bored with the daily routine. She was in tears again when we carried her to school this morning..
:(

cardrona
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DesertWind » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi cardrona,

How about employing a maid to help your MIL and put your first child only half-day childcare?

Anyway just a suggestion because my 3 yo boy is in half-day childcare then with my maid. I have no heart to put him into full-day childcare.

Also since your girl cry, must talk to the teacher each day ask whether she settled down after a certain time and anything happening in school etc. Do not let your girl cry for too long or too many days because don't want to traumatise the kid.

I don't think I can help you much but only to say that do observe your girl carefully and if the full-day child care is not working out, you got to think about alternative arrangements as best as you could.

Take care!
:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ImMeeMee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:05 pm

my daughters went through a phase of crying and not wanting to go to school when they first started full-day childcare.

there could be different reasons. the child may be adapting to the new environment along the way and may need some time to settle in. one of the childcare centres that we enroled our girl in had teachers shouting at kids. was not sure whether that contributed to my gal crying but in the end we pulled our girl out. it could also be that your child is very attached to you and hence the separation anxiety.

have to keep looking and observe the overall environment. It may also go away after a while as it could be a phased thing.

hope this helps.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby itsjustme » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi, actually, it is normal for many child to be afraid to be left away from the parents at about 2-3 years old. This situation is well recorded and they tend to cry out loud :cry: ..

I will try to find some information for you if i have the time.

itsjustme
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cardrona » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 am

My daughter was at all smiles last night, and more happier to go school this morning... ah children :lol:

I called her teacher-in-charge after lunch hour yesterday to check on my daughter's condition. Her teacher promised to spend time with her to talk to her, I trust it work out. I wonder what was communicated to her.

We are happy for now. :celebrate:

cardrona
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby KidzRKooL » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 pm

So good to know that things are working out for you, Cardrona. While reading down the thread, I kind of had a feeling they would. My little one isn't in day care, but many of my colleagues had experienced a lot of the same things with their children. I've found that one teensy bad experience can cause a bout of separation anxiety. For example, if a child simply falls (no reason of anyone else's) in school, they may start crying for mommy and daddy. Essentially, it's just a part of growing up. Unless there's something horribly wrong, most kids brush themselves off and get over it. ^_^

KidzRKooL
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child