Where to buy great learning materials for my baby and kids

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Where to buy great learning materials for my baby and kids

Postby fatherfitness » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 am

Hi there,

Im a dad who have just woken up and decided to take a large load of responsibility to educate my kids before they start school. I understand there are information here for many systems that are being developed to give our kids an early advantage. However, where do i buy them?? im looking at "babies can read" from Dr Robert.

Also can anyone recommend a tested system i can purchase to help boost a 4 year old reading capability? and also where to buy them.

fatherfitness
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mintcc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:36 am

Hi fatherfitness,

oh I got that series. My kid like it for the first 2 times it is played but refuse to watch it after wards. You can get that set anywhere, I got mine from Isetan for 50 bucks. Personally, I feel the video is not very well produced and is abit over priced for the few words it teaches.

So far, beside the I can Read series, there is also the Glen Doman method and Montessori method for =early reading skills. The materials can be purchased or DIY.

Teaching kids to read too early had been a controversial topic in recent years with both camps having lots to say. Some school of thoughts argued that the GD and "babies can read" methods teach kids to memorise the words rather than to really know how to read english.

However, a balance approach will probably be to instill in the kid the joy of reading and learning and to introduce ABCs, phonics follow by blending (the phonics together) and reading.

Sorry for the lor so post. For some oneline stores that sells great materials, I personally like popular and http://www.wonderbox.com.sg

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 pm

I have never used any of those reading packages nor sent my daughter to any reading courses. She just takes regular phonics at childcare. But she reads very well, much better then her peers. (She's 6.)

What I did was just read to her everyday ever since she was 1 (should've started sooner) and my husband and I love reading so we are surrounded by books, magazines, etc at home and we are the role models. My sis also registered her as a member of the national library since she was a baby and we make regular trips there. Nowadays, she picks her own books and she enjoys long, wordy stories and epic tales. She has also started reading non-fiction (e.g., science encyclopedia).

So my point is this, if you are unsure which package or programme is good, and you have limited cash, do it the cheap way. It takes time in the beginning 'cause you are unsure and starting something new but eventually, you don't need a lot of time. Just make sure it's quality time. Example, my husband and I read to her every night. That takes about 10-15 minutes.

Also bear in mind that besides teaching them how to read, you have to cultivate a love for reading so that learning becomes fun and they will take the initiative to read. They will also persevere if they encounter difficulties because they know it will be worth it in the end (intrinsic motivation).

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm an online shopping addict, so here are some of my favourites

http://www.teachersthemepark.com/
http://www.kiddystuff.com/
http://www.september21.com.sg/

If you don't mind the hassle, you can also try http://www.learningresources.com/ .

Happy browsing and shopping!
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fatherfitness » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks alot for all the info. It is true cultivating reading habits is of prime importance. I have started doing it with my son for 2 months. It seems he loves to read but he does not understand any word at all even when he is now four years old.

Im not sure if i expect too much from my son but i need a way to gauge his performance against his peers. His childcare teachers says he is ok but playful but than again which childcare centre would say your kid is slow unless they are planning to close down.

Any advice on gauging tips?

fatherfitness
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:42 am

fatherfitness wrote:Thanks alot for all the info. It is true cultivating reading habits is of prime importance. I have started doing it with my son for 2 months. It seems he loves to read but he does not understand any word at all even when he is now four years old.

Im not sure if i expect too much from my son but i need a way to gauge his performance against his peers. His childcare teachers says he is ok but playful but than again which childcare centre would say your kid is slow unless they are planning to close down.

Any advice on gauging tips?

His childcare teachers are right. Be patient. Just keep doing what you are doing. One day, he will get the urge to read by himself and then you can't stop him from getting his hands on the books. All the effort you have put in to read to him is helping to prepare him for that day.

If you really must gauge his performance, go for one of the plentiful English reading and phonics enrichment programmes.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby tamarind » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 am

It is possible to teach phonics and reading at home without the need to buy expensive teaching materials.

I have taught my 4 year old boy phonics at home using DIY materials. Checkout my blog for the step and step instructions.
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/

The most effective way to teach a child to read, is to combine phonics and sight words using a good reading scheme. The Ladybird key word reading scheme has been around for more than 40 years and has taught millions of children to read. Checkout my blog about how I used the series with my kids :

http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/200 ... ybird.html

Most children learn best from a systematic way of teaching that includes phonics and a reading scheme. Both my kids learn to read very well in less than one year, and most importantly, they have developed a love for reading.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 am

fatherfitness wrote: It seems he loves to read but he does not understand any word at all even when he is now four years old.

What exactly do you mean by the above? Your son can read but has no understanding of the words?

To me, at this early age, a child's grasp of language is not so much in the precise meaning of each and every word, but the sounds of the language. This is an important foundation. Understanding of meaning will follow - the meaning does not come in terms of precise definitions, but is matched to concepts and things.

I.e. if you ask a child to tell you what a "cat" is, he is not going to tell you it is a "domesticated feline mammal". But he DOES know what a cat is. It does not mean he doesn't know the meaning of the word.

I suspect maybe you have the impression that your son doesn't understand the meaning of words. But in fact, it could be that he DOES understand it but he does not know ***how to explain it to you*** in your terms.

Anyway, I'd say - Don't worry about it - just keep reading to him, and don't try to skip complex words - let him hear the sound of the words, even if it's obvious he won't know what it is. In addition, I often tell fellow parents NEVER to baby talk to a child, from BIRTH. Speak to the child in proper speech, English or otherwise. The child will pick up language much faster this way.

One other way for a child to pick up language is one that I don't readily recommend: TV. My daughter picked up a lot of English words and expressions from 2 shows she loved to watch when she was between 3-5, High Five and Blue's Clues. I don't recommend TV because it's too one way, even for shows like Blue's Clues which tries to be interactive. Nevertheless, I can't really deny they had some positive influence.

However, beware of it becoming an addiction, and also exposure to the other 98% of nonsense and rubbish on TV.

One more thing - in case you haven't tried - for books, don't have to buy too many. Go visit a library and borrow. The large collections at libraries provide a much greater range than your wallet can afford.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mintcc » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 am

for books, don't have to buy too many. Go visit a library and borrow. The large collections at libraries provide a much greater range than your wallet can afford.

Yes the library is a great source of books. It is alot of fun to go with the kid and let him choose his own books - that way he will be more motivated to read the books too...or in my kid's case "ma ma read for me"

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 am

mincy wrote:Yes the library is a great source of books. It is alot of fun to go with the kid and let him choose his own books - that way he will be more motivated to read the books too...or in my kid's case "ma ma read for me"

I agree...but if only i don't need to pay so much for ovedue books or extended loan... :oops:
My 2yo treats the library as a maze!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child