Spelling

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Spelling

Postby kancky12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:31 am

How do u teach yr dd spelling. mine seems to hate spelling and always end up crying whenever i have to teach her spelling :?:

kancky12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby hquek » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 am

DS1 started spelling in K2 and started out with tears also. At first I did rote teaching - spell x number of times and then test him, this did not work for us.

Then I hit upon making each word a rap. Eg "school" - I will break it up into s-c-h [pause] o-o-l. Vary your tone so each succeeding letter goes up or down the pitch (not monotone sound); or end each letter with a 'punch' like s-c-h(emphasize on the h). That way, the word becomes more rah rah and catchy.

After that somehow spelling became a breeze. There are many variations to this mode, so you can tweak and see what works.

Important thing is not to let the child be scared or fearful of spelling wrong. Make it a fun event. Good luck!

Understand there are many more ways of coaching spelling - TAS apparently has some ideas like using mnemonics; but I'm not familiar with those.

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kancky12 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:03 am

i have sent her for phonic enrichment. seems to work fine for simple spelling but when it comes to difficult ones ... that's when i can see her fear and probably scare of having it wrong and she starts to cry :stupid:

kancky12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Spelling

Postby jiyou2003 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:10 pm

kancky12 wrote:i have sent her for phonic enrichment. seems to work fine for simple spelling but when it comes to difficult ones ... that's when i can see her fear and probably scare of having it wrong and she starts to cry :stupid:

Hi kancky12,
in one of the parent talk I had attended. The speaker say "play" spelling. I wrote individual letter on paper plate. Each paper plate is colourfully paint, n DS is involve is creating it.
The game is who is the faster to spell a word. It can be both of us aiming at the same letter n calling out "it's me! it's me!".
Sometime we do one leg hopping on the plate too.
Have fun.

jiyou2003
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:30 pm

DS started with phonics then spelling. Spelling was not painful for us. Usually he just had to read through the list and practice writing them once and he will be ready to be tested.

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Spelling

Postby kancky12 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 am

Hi kancky12,
in one of the parent talk I had attended. The speaker say "play" spelling. I wrote individual letter on paper plate. Each paper plate is colourfully paint, n DS is involve is creating it.
The game is who is the faster to spell a word. It can be both of us aiming at the same letter n calling out "it's me! it's me!".
Sometime we do one leg hopping on the plate too.
Have fun.[/quote]

thks for the advise. I will try out the "play" spelling. hopefully it works.

nowadays being parent is really not easy. have to use 'play' method to teach spelling. our time, who ever heard of 'play' method! i only heard of the cane coming!!! :cry:

kancky12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Laurenwkids » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi,

The TAS method is one where they also use raps like what hquek mentioned. You can try that, they also sometimes break the words up and use a story mnemonic to help the child to remember the spelling.

Eg:
Hippopotamus

Hip- The hippo's hips are very big

Popo- Their hips are as wide as Liang Popo's hips

Ta- So in Chinese, you can also say their hips are ta

Mus- Because of that, they must exercise more.

You can try to do that for words that are especially difficult to spell. At their spelling bee event, I saw 6 year olds spelling this word with no problem at all because they use the story mnemonics. I have also been trying to come up with my own mnemonics for certain words my children have difficulty in spelling.

It helps in the long run because the child never forgets the spelling.

I think nowadays everything must have element of fun, then our children will not dread learning. Now cannot use 100% rote learning anymore, this generation quite different.

Laurenwkids
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child