study time - together or separate?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

study time - together or separate?

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:26 pm

i hv 3 kids, nex year p3, k2 and nursery

currently i hv a big rm in whc i plc two big ergo tables and 5 chairs for my 3 kids to use. me n my maid will guide them during study time.
adv is the older can help the younger, i can supervise all 3 at the same time. all 3 wants mummy to sit wif them.

disadv is very distracting n noisy n they will play together when i m not ard.

but if i hv each of time study in their own rm, assuming if i hv space, i wld prob hv to run ard 3 rms the whole nite cos now n then any 1 of them will shout for mummy, how to do? i dont know how to do etc.

(in reality, dont hv space for each kid. if i do shift the rm will be too small to put 2 tables n 5 chairs in same rm)

how do u parents wif multiple young kids who cant study on their own yet handle it?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: study time - together or separate?

Postby jedamum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm

24hr-mum wrote:i hv 3 kids, nex year p3, k2 and nursery

currently i hv a big rm in whc i plc two big ergo tables and 5 chairs for my 3 kids to use. me n my maid will guide them during study time.
adv is the older can help the younger, i can supervise all 3 at the same time. all 3 wants mummy to sit wif them.

disadv is very distracting n noisy n they will play together when i m not ard.

but if i hv each of time study in their own rm, assuming if i hv space, i wld prob hv to run ard 3 rms the whole nite cos now n then any 1 of them will shout for mummy, how to do? i dont know how to do etc.

(in reality, dont hv space for each kid. if i do shift the rm will be too small to put 2 tables n 5 chairs in same rm)

how do u parents wif multiple young kids who cant study on their own yet handle it?

can your P3 work independently?
i only have 2 children. but if i am in your shoes, i will try to split them into 2 grps; eldest and youngest one grp and the middle child one grp.
if middle child complain, you can let him sit with his fav character and tell him that that character is in his grp.
your maid can sit with P3/Nursery grp and P3 should learn to self study by now and the maid can occupy Nursery child with activities. you can sit with the middle child which you did mentioned needs more of your attention. you can do up a 'schedule' to show which grp has priority to your attention, mainly to try to train either grps to work alone several times a week.
MHO.
Last edited by jedamum on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Indeed very distracting if studying together. My kids ended up chit chatting or playing.

I tried to let them do different activities in different areas. If one is playing piano in living room, the other reads in own room.

If both doing written work, one will write at own desk, the other can use my desk in study room.

I don't sit with either one. Big kids now must at least try to be independent. But they can ask me if they are stuck.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby firave » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Interestingly, my girls like to study with each other in the same room. When my No. 2 see that the eldest one is doing her homework, she will take out her Kumon school bag & start to do extra worksheets & the No. 3 will also want to do her drawing too & wants to seat together with her other 2 sisters.

Probably now its still too early to tell, but I can see that if the eldest set the right example, seats properly, have a neat desk, packs her bag, does her homework, the younger ones will follow suit, regardless if they re in the same room or not - Monkey do, monkey follow.. :p

firave
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 pm

my #1 is a bad eg. so all 3 played together unless the mummy is ard ...

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 pm

In our case, I placed the 3 of them side by side. We've the option of splitting but this will be tough for me to oversee all of them at the same time.

So I will sit beside them to do my own work, etc... just be there beside them. With me around, they will not dare to play,etc... But sometimes if they are in a chirpy mood, they cannot stop talking and I've to control them.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:45 pm

so furniture wise, is it u hv one rm that is the study rm and have 3 tables ( assuming 1 table per kid n 4 chairs includg 1 chair for u)?

just curious, for parnts who stay in flats or houses wif only either 2 or 3 bedrms, and who chose to put all 3 or more kids to study together, is it 1 rm for study and another rm for kids to sleep all together or is the bedrm n study rm combined? currently all 3 slp wif me, and 1 rm is for study. my maid takes up the 3rd rm

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teh_oh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:08 pm

24hr-mum wrote:so furniture wise, is it u hv one rm that is the study rm and have 3 tables ( assuming 1 table per kid n 4 chairs includg 1 chair for u)?

just curious, for parnts who stay in flats or houses wif only either 2 or 3 bedrms, and who chose to put all 3 or more kids to study together, is it 1 rm for study and another rm for kids to sleep all together or is the bedrm n study rm combined? currently all 3 slp wif me, and 1 rm is for study. my maid takes up the 3rd rm

For younger children, it is advisable to separate study room from bedroom because there is a lot of activities happening in study room (eg, clutter, more vibrant colour). Bedroom's ambiance should be one of a soothing mood as children need to wind down at the end of the day. Additionally, clutter, dust, books will attract bugs, dust, eraser chippings etc which is not healthy if inhaled by sleeping children. You can consider combining both spaces when they are older, when their immune system is stronger, their hygiene/housekeeping practices are better and they need more personal space.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:17 pm

MMM wrote:In our case, I placed the 3 of them side by side. We've the option of splitting but this will be tough for me to oversee all of them at the same time.

So I will sit beside them to do my own work, etc... just be there beside them. With me around, they will not dare to play,etc... But sometimes if they are in a chirpy mood, they cannot stop talking and I've to control them.

I have 3 bedrooms...kids have their own bedrooms but we usually bunk into one room since they won't sleep w/out the aircon. I've put all the books and 2 bookshelves into son's room since his study table has a pull-out table...this way, I don't have to run different rooms to coach them in their work. Besides they are both in same session.
With me sitting beside them, they do their work and not fight, yakking or dreaming.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

24hr-mum wrote:just curious, for parnts who stay in flats or houses wif only either 2 or 3 bedrms, and who chose to put all 3 or more kids to study together, is it 1 rm for study and another rm for kids to sleep all together or is the bedrm n study rm combined? currently all 3 slp wif me, and 1 rm is for study. my maid takes up the 3rd rm

My kids' beds and desks together in the same room.
I've another study room for hubby & I. So either kid can use our study room if need to separate them

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child