Ok to carry kids' sch bags when picking them up from sch?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Do you help to carry your kid's sch bag?

Yes
33%
No
36%
Only in lower primary
30%
That's what maids are for
No votes

Total votes : 33

Ok to carry kids' sch bags when picking them up from sch?

Postby markfch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I pick ds from his sch daily. I observed that a lot of parents will help carry their kids' sch bags to their cars. I refused to do that cos I'm paranoid that this will encourage ds to be reliant on me in future.

Qn: Am I paranoid?
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Ok to carry kids' sch bags when picking them up from sch

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:59 pm

markfch wrote:I pick ds from his sch daily. I observed that a lot of parents will help carry their kids' sch bags to their cars. I refused to do that cos I'm paranoid that this will encourage ds to be reliant on me in future.

Firstly you are not paranoid. Since you are fetching your son home in the car, there is no need to take over the bag from him...just let him carry it to the car.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:21 pm

markfch wrote:I pick ds from his sch daily. I observed that a lot of parents will help carry their kids' sch bags to their cars. I refused to do that cos I'm paranoid that this will encourage ds to be reliant on me in future.

I think you are paranoid because it does not necessarily mean that your DS will be reliant on you to carry his bag in the future.

That part on "reliant" on others is very much part of the overall bringing up process and day to day value-impartation to him

In so helping him to carry, you are also showing him the positive value of helping others who are needy - be they young or old - the point is, that person is in need, because the bag is too heavy for the young boy or for the old lady, so you offer your help. One day, he will say to you, "Dad, it is ok, I can manage".....and soon see him helping you to carry your bags of cash / grocery without being told to do so.
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:36 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:

I think you are paranoid because it does not necessarily mean that your DS will be reliant on you to carry his bag in the future.

That part on "reliant" on others is very much part of the overall bringing up process and day to day value-impartation to him

One day, he will say to you, "Dad, it is ok, I can manage".....and soon see him helping you to carry your bags of cash / grocery without being told to do so.

I do carry son's bag when I walk him to school every morn...once he gets the locker key...don't think I will do so since his school bag will be much lighter after that. He does offer to help carry some bags of supermarket grocery from the car until doorstep.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:38 pm

I don't mean that I'm worried ds will expect me to carry his bag in future. I'm more coming from the angle that it is his (ds's) responsibility to carry his own sch bag, so he should do it himself. Of course I helped by investing in a good ergonomics bag for him.

In the house whenever ds messed up anything, he knows my expectation is that he cleans up the mess himself. I hope that by doing all these, ds grows up with a stronger & more resilient character than me. Don't know whether my reasoning makes sense?
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 pm

markfch wrote:I don't mean that I'm worried ds will expect me to carry his bag in future. I'm more coming from the angle that it is his (ds's) responsibility to carry his own sch bag, so he should do it himself. Of course I helped by investing in a good ergonomics bag for him.

In the house whenever ds messed up anything, he knows my expectation is that he cleans up the mess himself. I hope that by doing all these, ds grows up with a stronger & more resilient character than me. Don't know whether my reasoning makes sense?

of course makes sense lah......eh, you only have one DS, better make sure his back is not hurt especially these days school bags are heavy, causing spine to be compressed, retarding growth in height, etc. think about it. I am NOT being sarcastic hor, mark
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby markfch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:of course makes sense lah......eh, you only have one DS, better make sure his back is not hurt especially these days school bags are heavy, causing spine to be compressed, retarding growth in height, etc. think about it. I am NOT being sarcastic hor, mark

You got me worried with your health talk. Single child or not, I would still resist carrying ds's bag unless it is absolutely necessary. Just weighed ds's bag fully loaded. DS is 25kg, bag is 2.8kg. Would there be any health issues?
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Alex001 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Children, in the first place, should not leave their school bags with parents just to carry UNLESS they have had went on a field trip/very tired. I walk home from the bus everyday carrying the school bag myself.

Exercising self-discipline is important, especially for children. Self-discipline allows oneself to be able to handle his/herself in tough situations. Even if its just carrying a bag, at least he/she will receive enough practice to carry his OWN things when he gets over.

However, if the child seriously has a heavy school bag and is starting to get thinner, then that's a different issue.

Alex001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby carebear » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:15 pm

If i pick my kids from school by car, they will carry their bags to the car.
However if my maid or myself pick them up from school by foot, then we carry the bag for them as it is a 1 km walk home and i fear that carrying the heavy bag may stunt their growth.

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I think it's ok to carry bags for them, when they're a bit older, they would automatically reject your offer, cos they feel embarrassed. They dun even want you to pick them from school. So dun have to worry about training them to be independent.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child