Dilemma - to work extremely hard or to relax?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Dilemma - to work extremely hard or to relax?

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Third week into school re-open, my P5 DS already has 3-4 days staying back in school till 5.30pm every week. By the time he reaches home, he is exhausted but he still has school work to be done after dinner.

He never needed to do school work at night for the past 4 years.

We had a talk during the December holidays about the different secondary schools and their niche learning environment. He was very by Hwa Chong & NUS High's IT environment and set his mind to achieve 260 for PSLE. He is average in Chinese ~ 80% for his past 4 years exam results. So he asked me to help him improve his Chinese.

I planned out a daily programme for him to revise but have never the chance to execute it because of his busy schedule.

Chinese is not a subject that can do last minute work and the worst thing is - he has no interest in Chinese.

I am stressed by looking at this busy schedule - Robotic training, scrabble training, preparation for stamp competition, Maths Olympiad etc. I love the different exposure he has and he loves the challenge too. But we just simply have no time to work on Chinese.

I asked him just now if he could accept his Chinese to be 60% - 70% for his SA1 due to lack of revision. He is not willing to.

If I were to go according to my plan, I think he could maintain ~80%. But it will be very stressful for both of us during this period of time. But if I don't work with him, he doesn't like to accept the low mark.

Should I stress him (and myself) or should I let nature takes its cause?

Tough decision :frustrated:

Anyone know of any Chinese teacher or centre that offers daily programme during June & Dec Holidays ? think this is a better timing for him.

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:37 am

what abt cancelling some less essential activities eg scrabble or stamp competition? u can always hv such activities during sch holidays..

there is a bk: how i helped my child score in psle. go get n read. interesting.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks 24-Hr mum.

I just had a talk to his form teacher and she mentioned that P5 is the level where student will be involved in many school activities cos every schools believes that P5 is the best age for them to learn and grasp as much knowledge due to their maturity level. This is the level where they develop most in terms of life skills like leadership and people skills if given great exposure. She said more to come for students they believe can excel not only academically. My DS just told me enthusiastically that he is involved in debating training....

I guess I have to give him and myself more time to adjust....

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 am

maybe just focus on those skills he will get to learn at work in future, eg language

for me, i still worry abt psle,

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyFaye » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks for your input. May I know where I can get the book you recommended?

Will have to talk to my DS on his preference

Happy Chinese New Year!

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:18 pm

my friend passed me that book but i think its sold in popular bkshop.
that bk is based on old psle syllabus but the content is still valid in terms of the emotional and other aspects of the preparation

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyFaye » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 am

Thank you!

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Alex001 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:58 pm

The best way for your child to improve Chinese, under such circumstances, is to communicate in Chinese with anyone who is able to understand the language. Otherwise, there is a number of tuition centers offer June holiday workshops.

Encourage your child to go to the library each recess and read more advanced Chinese novels or newspapers. That's another way.

Alex001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Peony » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:01 pm

HappyFaye,

I can relate to this.

DD is also in P5 and has been doing consistently well (P1 to 4) thru regular revision.

We also made time-table etc for her... but there is simply too much homework so no time to revise!

Homework, to me, is not helping her at all. AND the jump from P4 to P5 is big... all the more she would like to revise her weak areas but how to when homework takes most of the time.

I do not want her to be stay up late after completing her tons of homework. Her health comes first. Yes, even if it means her grades will be affected.
Last edited by Peony on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:45 pm

I have come to term with it - it is ok to have not-so good grade for a while. After all, PSLE is just one of the many exams. I hope I won't regret later on :pray:

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child