Over reliant on baby swing (yaolan)

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Over reliant on baby swing (yaolan)

Postby new_mummy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 am

when kiddo was young(0 to 4 months), he can sleep a few hours in the baby cot. However, now he simply refused to sleep on a bed and only wanted to sleep when placed in a yao lan. we regretted introducing him to yaolan in order to make him sleep longer.

How?? we are planning to travel at the end of the year, i cannot imagine having to mimic a yaolan by carrying him to sleep.

any mummies have such trying transition from yaolan to bed before? can share the success stories?

:cry:

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm

My babies are opposite leh. Both wanted the sarong at 1 - 4months, then graduated to cot from 4 - 12mths and now, they want my bed. The older they are, the more they want to stick close to mom & dad.

If you want your baby to sleep in a cot overseas, the only way is to bring along 2 small bolsters to simulate the arms, put him on the bed / cot and sandwich him between the 2 bolsters. If he screams, then you got no choice but to carry till he sleeps and place him in the cot, then position the bolsters. He'll be too sleepy to protest.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby new_mummy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am

cherrygal wrote:My babies are opposite leh. Both wanted the sarong at 1 - 4months, then graduated to cot from 4 - 12mths and now, they want my bed. The older they are, the more they want to stick close to mom & dad.

If you want your baby to sleep in a cot overseas, the only way is to bring along 2 small bolsters to simulate the arms, put him on the bed / cot and sandwich him between the 2 bolsters. If he screams, then you got no choice but to carry till he sleeps and place him in the cot, then position the bolsters. He'll be too sleepy to protest.

whah, that's nice! at least they move on to a bed!

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EstherTan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

Does your kiddo sleep with you guys? You can try letting him roll around on the bed (and play a little) or on your bed. When they see you sleeping on the bed they will also want to follow (monkey see monkey do!)

Hope this helps!

EstherTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby new_mummy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:32 pm

EstherTan wrote:Does your kiddo sleep with you guys? You can try letting him roll around on the bed (and play a little) or on your bed. When they see you sleeping on the bed they will also want to follow (monkey see monkey do!)

Hope this helps!

we sleep in the same room. But he sleep in the yaolan, not with us on bed. He just turn 1 year old, still can't train him to follow us... :(

but i will try to pat him on the bed when he's tired. have to bear with his wailings sometime @__@

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:33 am

I bought a large mattress to place on the floor - safer for baby. She likes it so much that she prefers it to the cot. So our daily routine is: she falls asleep next to me on the mattress, I place her in the cot when she's asleep so I can log into Kiasuparents.com :P and when she realises she's in the cot, she yells and I carry her down to my mattress and sleep with her there.

She sleeps very well on the mattress as she can sense my presence next to her. And as it's on the floor, I don't worry that she will roll down.

My baby is not much bigger than your baby so it should be alright.

BTW, try not to pat. It creates too much dependence on you in order to fall asleep. I just let her roll around within a confined space (between my arm and body). Pacifiers are fine. They really help.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby new_mummy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

cherrygal wrote:I bought a large mattress to place on the floor - safer for baby. She likes it so much that she prefers it to the cot. So our daily routine is: she falls asleep next to me on the mattress, I place her in the cot when she's asleep so I can log into Kiasuparents.com :P and when she realises she's in the cot, she yells and I carry her down to my mattress and sleep with her there.

She sleeps very well on the mattress as she can sense my presence next to her. And as it's on the floor, I don't worry that she will roll down.

My baby is not much bigger than your baby so it should be alright.

BTW, try not to pat. It creates too much dependence on you in order to fall asleep. I just let her roll around within a confined space (between my arm and body). Pacifiers are fine. They really help.

thanks so much for the advice above, let me try out and update you gals if it works for my son. :)

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby thumbelina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:52 am

I am in the same situation except that my DD dun sleep in the yao lan but she likes us to rock her in the Fisherprice rocker.
When she was a bb, she slept very well in the cot. Then as she grow older, she dun want to sleep in the cot and we move her to sleep beside us on the bed. But now, she wants us to rock her in the FP rocker and after she slept, we will move her to the bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the nite, she will cry and we got to rock her again with the rocker.

She also slept in the FP rocker for her afternoon nap.
I am at wits end how to deal with her. :cry:
Any advise?

thumbelina
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby new_mummy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

thumbelina wrote:I am in the same situation except that my DD dun sleep in the yao lan but she likes us to rock her in the Fisherprice rocker.
When she was a bb, she slept very well in the cot. Then as she grow older, she dun want to sleep in the cot and we move her to sleep beside us on the bed. But now, she wants us to rock her in the FP rocker and after she slept, we will move her to the bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the nite, she will cry and we got to rock her again with the rocker.

She also slept in the FP rocker for her afternoon nap.
I am at wits end how to deal with her. :cry:
Any advise?

aiyoyo, looks like we are in the same predicament :((( hope something can be done about it

new_mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby thumbelina » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I also agree pacifier works well and I used paciifer when she was a bb... then when she was older, she gave up the pacifier herself and instead, prefer the Fisherprice rocker... :stupid:

thumbelina
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child