Yucky Science Idea for P5 Kids

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Yucky Science Idea for P5 Kids

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:15 am

Little Boy came home yesterday and said the teacher dissected a fish and invited them to touch the gills. That gave me an idea. I popped by the market today and will be getting Little Boy to dissect it after he has done up a powerpoint on Fish Innards.

I think they're supposed to only know fish respiratory system, but I ain't gonna waste a perfectly good fish so he might as well learn as much about Innards as he can.

He may cut himself though but I think he'll love the idea. it's exactly that sorta disgusting science that'll make his eyes shine!!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Yucky Science Idea for P5 Kids

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Little Boy came home yesterday and said the teacher dissected a fish and invited them to touch the gills. That gave me an idea. I popped by the market today and will be getting Little Boy to dissect it after he has done up a powerpoint on Fish Innards.

I think they're supposed to only know fish respiratory system, but I ain't gonna waste a perfectly good fish so he might as well learn as much about Innards as he can.

He may cut himself though but I think he'll love the idea. it's exactly that sorta disgusting science that'll make his eyes shine!!

Fantastic idea. How old's your son?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Yucky Science Idea for P5 Kids

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

jtoh wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:Little Boy came home yesterday and said the teacher dissected a fish and invited them to touch the gills. That gave me an idea. I popped by the market today and will be getting Little Boy to dissect it after he has done up a powerpoint on Fish Innards.

Fantastic idea. How old's your son?

P5... 10 going on 11.
His teacher dissected a fish yesterday but they only looked at gills. But I suppose that we could do this even with P3 & P4?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Good chance to do this in P3 when they learn about animals living on land and in water. And classification of animals (why certain animals are considered fish and some are not).

Would be good if you can get pig/cow lungs to show the difference.

And before you cut up the fish, explain how they 'capture' dissolved air. Open the fish's mouth and run water through it. You will see some water flowing out from the gills. :D

Have fun!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Good chance to do this in P3 when they learn about animals living on land and in water. And classification of animals (why certain animals are considered fish and some are not).

And before you cut up the fish, explain how they 'capture' dissolved air. Open the fish's mouth and run water through it. You will see some water flowing out from the gills. :D

Have fun!

Oh ok! Thank you!

I will tell him. I ain't going near the fish. Besides, he wants all the fun. He'll be upset if I do it. I'll just stand by some plaster. Haha!

By the way, where to buy cow and pig lung?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Chenonceau wrote:
mrswongtuition wrote:Good chance to do this in P3 when they learn about animals living on land and in water. And classification of animals (why certain animals are considered fish and some are not).

Have fun!

Oh ok! Thank you!

I will tell him. I ain't going near the fish. Besides, he wants all the fun. He'll be upset if I do it. I'll just stand by some plaster. Haha!

Actually, give him a small knife which isn't very sharp so that if accidents really happen, the cut won't be too deep.

Also, show the right way to handle the knife. :)

My mum used to get pig's lung from the wet market. Cow's lung have to go all the way to markets that sell beef (I think Tekka will have).
Don't waste, can be used to cook soup :)

Oh ya, the thing about the lungs is that they will look somewhat deflated. Use a straw to blow it up. Quite fun.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:52 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

Have fun!

Oh ok! Thank you!

Actually, give him a small knife which isn't very sharp so that if accidents really happen, the cut won't be too deep.

Also, show the right way to handle the knife. :)

My mum used to get pig's lung from the wet market. Cow's lung have to go all the way to markets that sell beef (I think Tekka will have).
Don't waste, can be used to cook soup :)

Oh ya, the thing about the lungs is that they will look somewhat deflated. Use a straw to blow it up. Quite fun.

Waaaaaaaaaaah! Nice!!

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm

And if you are going to buy the lungs, don't forgot to explain about INCREASED SURFACE AREA. It's obvious when you cut the lungs open. And can talk about why the insides are slimy (surfactant). :)

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:And if you are going to buy the lungs, don't forgot to explain about INCREASED SURFACE AREA. It's obvious when you cut the lungs open. And can talk about why the insides are slimy (surfactant). :)

Heh... I usually get HIM to tell me. He doesn't listen very well my little one. He remembers better when he is educating me. I teach both kids by pretending ignorance 50% of the time and being REALLY ignorant 50% of the time.

That's how I teach him Chinese too, and I dunno a word of Chinese. Haha!

Makes them happy and I dun have to go and learn all that stuff in order to teach them. Lazy lah...

In fact, last weekend, he was going on and on about how many percent oxygen land lungs can draw thanks to the surface area... and how many percent fish lungs can draw. Then the whole family flopped and pretended to snore... and he rolled his eyes. So mean hor...

I think he knows it already so I'll just wait for him to lecture me with his Geeky Plastic Glasses.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Alex001 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Allowing kids to learn by themselves is a great way of nuturing the mind. This is a very good strategy, I may adopt it in future. I simply hope he doesn't hurt himself, but I don't really think this is likely, right?

Alex001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child