How to tell if Child is telling lies??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to tell if Child is telling lies??

Postby troubled » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi,

Any tested methods to know if child is telling lies??

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby snowman.697 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Here's from my own experience - I used to be a liar (not now anws) and usually 'cos when you're lying you're forced to think fast. So you shoudl watch out for signs of, say, stuttering or repeating their statements over and over again (eg. no, I went back at.... I went back at uh.... etc). Another sign is that they're glancing away at something, or their face appears red, or they're sweating. I believe one of the very good ways to know if a child is lying is to watch their criminal language. As with police interrogations, a lying criminal will probably fidget or play with her hair (for girls with long hair) / an object. He or she will also have an increased breathing rate.

And of course, most importnatly, watch out for any inconsistencies when he tells you something. That might be a sign that he is lying (lying is NOT the truth and therefore the child won't remember it unless it was prepared beforehand).

Hope this helps (:

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to tell if Child is telling lies??

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm

troubled wrote:Hi,

When a child lies... he could be afraid. If you can fix the cause of the fear, he will stop the lying... and might confess. That gives you an opportunity to dialogue and counsel... and also allay his fears?

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowman.697 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Chenonceau wrote:

When a child lies... he could be afraid. If you can fix the cause of the fear, he will stop the lying... and might confess. That gives you an opportunity to dialogue and counsel... and also allay his fears?

Chenonceau - I believe the author is trying to ask how to detect a lying child, not why a child is lying. But still good point (:

snowman.697
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

snowman.697 wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

Chenonceau - I believe the author is trying to ask how to detect a lying child, not why a child is lying. But still good point (:

Can still detect mah... child confess lor... that's still detecting... hee

I do that to my kids. Talk to them. Ask them why they look worried. Then they confess... cry. I sayang. Tell them there's nothing that they do that'll make me love them less but tell them I don't like lies, I am sad they lie and lying will make their souls ugly...

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blobbi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Snowman, you're so funny! Tks for spilling the beans ;).

But I agree- its fear of disapproval/ consequences. I'd much rather deal with that. Because you'd want your kid to tell you everything if he ever (touch wood) gets into trouble one day.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby troubled » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks everyone!

Got some ideas..... :wink:

Maybe i should say...how to detect if child is making up stories.... :?

I've a 6 year old boy who came home saying teacher does this and that in center.....which got me worried....

troubled
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Alex001 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Hard. As a child, I never tell lies and always tell the truth. Even if I do its hard to suspect. Maybe a sneaky face?

Alex001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:06 pm

My son loves to exaggerate so it may not be real lying. So we gotta find out the truth from the teachers. Have more communication with the teachers.

In kindergarten, he used to say his friends hit him when it was just an accidental poke. Now in primary school, he can even tell me his friends are just play fighting.

DS doesn't try to lie but will just clam up or deny when he has done something wrong eg. sleep in class. That is when I smell a rat and ask him hypothetically if he slept in class because he was tired. I showed I empathised and he opened up and really admitted to sleeping in class. Gosh! I couldn't react with anger since he finally told the truth. I had to bite my tongue and tell him matter-of-factly that what he did was not right but also glad that he found the courage to tell me. So at least we can now work together to find a solution - sleep earlier!

I told DS that no matter what happens, he must always tell his parents even if we may reprimand him. We are the only ones who can help him.

In addition, I find that with kids this age, asking them why they did something wrong is like talking to a wall. They too do not know why they did it. So, by offering them a possible reason for their behavior, they will start to tell you more about their inner feelings.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re:

Postby WorriedDadto3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 pm

:goodpost: :rotflmao:
snowman.697 wrote:Here's from my own experience - I used to be a liar (not now anws) and usually 'cos when you're lying you're forced to think fast. So you shoudl watch out for signs of, say, stuttering or repeating their statements over and over again (eg. no, I went back at.... I went back at uh.... etc). Another sign is that they're glancing away at something, or their face appears red, or they're sweating. I believe one of the very good ways to know if a child is lying is to watch their criminal language. As with police interrogations, a lying criminal will probably fidget or play with her hair (for girls with long hair) / an object. He or she will also have an increased breathing rate.

And of course, most importnatly, watch out for any inconsistencies when he tells you something. That might be a sign that he is lying (lying is NOT the truth and therefore the child won't remember it unless it was prepared beforehand).

Hope this helps (:

WorriedDadto3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child