Preschooling Activities

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Preschooling Activities

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi,

Besides flashing cards, what are the stuff you do with your preschoolers at home? Let's share...

Toys recommendations are also welcomed.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Activities
1) tracing using alphabet templates (i realised that it is more suitable for >2.5yo as my 2yo keep snapping the pencil leads with the templates :roll: )
2) mini balloons-blowing for introduction of colours (use a small hairclip to secure the balloons instead of tying it up so as to recycle the balloons)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby metz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Activities
1) tracing using alphabet templates (i realised that it is more suitable for >2.5yo as my 2yo keep snapping the pencil leads with the templates )
2) mini balloons-blowing for introduction of colours (use a small hairclip to secure the balloons instead of tying it up so as to recycle the balloons)
3) acting out nursery rhymes such as Row, Row, Row your Boat. The kids sat in those baby bathtubs and pretended rowing. We used the version that goes like this -

Row, Row, Row, your boat
Gently down the stream
But if you see a crocodile
Don't forget to scream! (Put 2 hands together and pretend to snap at them. This part always gets my kids laughing and screaming)

Other rhymes include Jack in the box, Humpty Dumpty, Little Miss Muffet etc.

4) another game I coined it as "Cat Catching Mouse". We take turns to be the cat and mouse, running and hiding from each other. Not very educational but was a lot of silly fun.
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Activities
1) tracing using alphabet templates (i realised that it is more suitable for >2.5yo as my 2yo keep snapping the pencil leads with the templates )
3) acting out nursery rhymes such as Row, Row, Row your Boat. The kids sat in those baby bathtubs and pretended rowing. We used the version that goes like this -

Row, Row, Row, your boat
Gently down the stream
Don't forget to scream! (Put 2 hands together and pretend to snap at them. This part always gets my kids laughing and screaming)

4) another game I coined it as "Cat Catching Mouse". We take turns to be the cat and mouse, running and hiding from each other. Not very educational but was a lot of silly fun.

5). we got those foam mats with ABCs so some times we play putting the shapes back to the mold. when I left my boy with the maid, that evolve to an 'obstacle couse" where he steps on individual mat without touching the floor.

6. Play cooking. We got those wooden food that can be cut into half, 3 parts and quarters. Some times I try to introduce those concept when he is happily cutting away. To add on to the "food" Unwanted ribbons can become spagetti, cotton wool can be use as fish balls, or can just cut out picture of food and past them on thick paper. Can alse pretend to go for a picnic and feed the food to the toys latter.

7. Colour Wooden Blocks and legos. Can use to teach colours and build stuff and the same time.

8. Origami.. fold simple boats, cups and aeroplane. Daiso got some with animal prints with instructions. but mummy had yet successfully fold an animal for DS yet.

9. Colour and cut paper/ colouring books, joint lines, circle, just scribble.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby csc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm

I remember my children loved acting out the following rhyme in their pre-school days too.

"Ring around the rosies,
A pocket full of posies,

A-tishoo!

A-tishoo!

We all fall down."

The 4 of us would join hands in a circle and sing this song - learnt it from the then popular "Barney" show.. They especially loved the part when all fall down... silly but nice.
:lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schellen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:05 pm

Activities

Row, Row, Row, your boat
Gently down the stream

5). we got those foam mats with ABCs so some times we play putting the shapes back to the mold. when I left my boy with the maid, that evolve to an 'obstacle couse" where he steps on individual mat without touching the floor.

6. Play cooking. We got those wooden food that can be cut into half, 3 parts and quarters. Some times I try to introduce those concept when he is happily cutting away. To add on to the "food" Unwanted ribbons can become spagetti, cotton wool can be use as fish balls, or can just cut out picture of food and past them on thick paper. Can alse pretend to go for a picnic and feed the food to the toys latter.

7. Colour Wooden Blocks and legos. Can use to teach colours and build stuff and the same time.

8. Origami.. fold simple boats, cups and aeroplane. Daiso got some with animal prints with instructions. but mummy had yet successfully fold an animal for DS yet.

10) Use old baby bathtub and place it in the middle of big plastic sheet or bathroom (if big enough and you don't mind being stuck in the bathroom for a while). Fill with (warm) water halfway. Plonk child in and surround him/her with bath toys, water play toys and/or anything you can get from around the house that is safe and fun to play in water with. E.g., funnels, empty containers, spoons, sieves, etc. Along the way, your child can learn more about shapes, sizes, colours, volume, flow of water, weight, etc. Just make sure you keep an eye on the time as you don't want your child to catch a cold. You can also time this just before their daily shower/bath. Maybe can even get them to help you pack up.
Last edited by schellen on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby metz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 pm

csc wrote:I remember my children loved acting out the following rhyme in their pre-school days too.

"Ring around the rosies,
A pocket full of posies,

A-tishoo!

A-tishoo!

We all fall down."

The 4 of us would join hands in a circle and sing this song - learnt it from the then popular "Barney" show.. They especially loved the part when all fall down... silly but nice.
:lol:

That's a classic for my gal too. She would make us (including her bear) to play the song out. really silly but great fun :lol:
metz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sashimi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm

schellen wrote:Activities

Row, Row, Row, your boat
Gently down the stream

10) Use old baby bathtub and place it in the middle of big plastic sheet or bathroom (if big enough and you don't mind being stuck in the bathroom for a while). Fill with (warm) water halfway. Plonk child in and surround him/her with bath toys, water play toys and/or anything you can get from around the house that is safe and fun to play in water with. E.g., funnels, empty containers, spoons, sieves, etc. Along the way, your child can learn more about shapes, sizes, colours, volume, flow of water, weight, etc. Just make sure you keep an eye on the time as you don't want your child to catch a cold. You can also time this just before their daily shower/bath. Maybe can even get them to help you pack up.

11. Rolling balls. Seat the kid some distance away (perhaps 10feet). Roll ball between yourself and her, get her to roll back. Trains hand-eye coordination. Very simple but they seem to love it. Other advantage: in a limited space, the ball won't stray far, so you don't need to be running around sweating.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schellen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 pm

sashimi wrote:
schellen wrote:Activities

Row, Row, Row, your boat
Gently down the stream

11. Rolling balls. Seat the kid some distance away (perhaps 10feet). Roll ball between yourself and her, get her to roll back. Trains hand-eye coordination. Very simple but they seem to love it. Other advantage: in a limited space, the ball won't stray far, so you don't need to be running around sweating.

Add to No. 11: Use balls of different sizes and textures and material. E.g., rubber ball, plastic ball, cloth ball, etc. Note how the ball moves, how fast it moves, etc when ball is changed.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:38 pm

wa...very good.
now i have more ideas to occupy my active ds2.
Thanks!

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Working With Your Child