Difficulties of having a intellectually gifted child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Difficulties of having a intellectually gifted child

Postby homeschooling mum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi all mummies of intellectually gifted children,

Let's discuss the difficulties faced in the daily lives of having a gifted child. I hope to learn more from all of you.

And remember: let's have fun and share experiences. No angry and spiteful comments please! (i was scared off reading the fierce exchange in another topic - scary man)

Cheers!
:love:

homeschooling mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby homeschooling mum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 pm

Ok let me start off first,

I've got a close friend who's a child psychologist. We often hang out together at my place and she also helps me keep my son occupied for a couple of hours while i take a break.

By the way, my son talks and asks questions the entire day from 630am to 830pm. I'm always on the verge of getting nuts!

So one day she suggested that i let her assess him. So she told me that my son is intellectually gifted based on his IQ score.

Let's share our experiences.
Last edited by homeschooling mum on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homeschooling mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby smurf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:23 pm

my elder boy also asks questions from the moment he gets up in the morning until nite, but I really don't think that he is gifted leh. I suppose kids so young like to ask question bah. :?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 pm

I thought more than enough is being shared in the following threads.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 40&start=0

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 99&start=0

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=1758

homeschooling mum, you may want to spend some time to read through the above threads....a lot of reading though ....may be able to address your concerns.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby homeschooling mum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi csc, thanks for the information. But it's really time consuming for me to stare at the computer to read so much info. I started this topic cos i thought it would be more fun to have an 'interactive sharing' of experience and not just reading previous threads.

I certainly hope to 'meet' some like-minded mummies here as i'm new to this forum. Looking forward!

homeschooling mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jedamum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 am

homeschooling mum wrote:Hi csc, thanks for the information. But it's really time consuming for me to stare at the computer to read so much info. I started this topic cos i thought it would be more fun to have an 'interactive sharing' of experience and not just reading previous threads.

:|
it is also time consuming for many of the forumers to write lengthy and informative posts to share their experiences over at the above listed threads.

but if the purpose is to revive a locked thread...that is understandable.
:wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am

Hi homeschooling mum

In the 3 threads quoted, nothing has been discussed about the "so much talks & so many questions, drive me nuts" issue. :lol:

But there is a thread on "Why, why, why" which you can use it as a platform for discussion on the topic "questions that can drove parents nuts". http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... .php?t=981

Give examples/scenario so that it is easy for like minded parents to share experience. :wink:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby homeschooling mum » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:31 pm

EN wrote:Hi homeschooling mum

In the 3 threads quoted, nothing has been discussed about the "so much talks & so many questions, drive me nuts" issue. :lol:

But there is a thread on "Why, why, why" which you can use it as a platform for discussion on the topic "questions that can drove parents nuts". http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... .php?t=981

Give examples/scenario so that it is easy for like minded parents to share experience. :wink:

Hi EN, thanks! I briefly went through the 3 threads. It's extremely lengthy and too overwhelming for me. I personally would prefer light hearted and sincere sharing lei. Not just reading about the amazing things that their gifted kids can do and what kinds of classes they attend. It's like a competition. :shock:

U r right... i can't really find anything there which i hope to discuss i.e. the difficulties faced by mothers with their gifted child. Simple issues faced by everyday lives. A good example I would like to start with is that my son is very obsessed to find out the truth about things. Just this morning, he was drinking a milk and started reading the label...and he then he starts again.

To cut the story short...now he is totally into finding out what each and every ingredient in the milk does to the body and how it was discovered and by whom etc etc etc. I'm sure he will spend the next many many days doing this. It will become a big big project and one discovery leads to another and it goes on and on and on...

this is what drives me nuts cos i got to 'study' it so extensively with him to guide him along...so i thought maybe there must be many other mothers facing similar situations and what they do to stay sane, at the same time satisfy their child's obsession.

I sincerely hope to hear from those who would like to discuss this topic that's all. If anyone thinks that i shouldn't start this topic...well that's OK .... but i don't really understand why... :?

homeschooling mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ApronMama » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 pm

smurf wrote:my elder boy also asks questions from the moment he gets up in the morning until nite, but I really don't think that he is gifted leh. I suppose kids so young like to ask question bah. :?
When they are in P3, the GEP screening will pick them up and challenge them from then on, so why worry ... :lol:

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 pm

ApronMama wrote:
smurf wrote:my elder boy also asks questions from the moment he gets up in the morning until nite, but I really don't think that he is gifted leh. I suppose kids so young like to ask question bah. :?
When they are in P3, the GEP screening will pick them up and challenge them from then on, so why worry ... :lol:

My girl doesn't ask me that many questions. I encourage her to read up & find out for herself.

Furthermore, she has the impression her mommy a little blur blur (sometimes lah, like getting lost & had to rely on her to find the way)
So she has to gear up to 'help' me instead :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child