All About Handwriting

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

All About Handwriting

Postby fxchow » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Original Title: Illegible Handwritting

Hi,

I'm very headache with my P6 girl's handwritting. :cry:

No matter how I advise her or scold her and even her teacher also told her to write more neatly, but she still cannot changes her bad habbit.

Hope someone has the same experience and has good solution for this. :?:

Thanks

fxchow

fxchow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mahes_gopal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Maybe you can have tested for dysgraphia? IT is problems with writing formations. PLs google to find out more.

mahes_gopal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Illegible Handwritting

Postby PowerPuff Mum » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:07 am

fxchow wrote:Hi,

I'm very headache with my P6 girl's handwritting. :cry:

No matter how I advise her or scold her and even her teacher also told her to write more neatly, but she still cannot changes her bad habbit.

Hope someone has the same experience and has good solution for this. :?:

Thanks

fxchow

I had the same problem. I despair for months but eventually found out abt Brain Revolution at Goldhill Square. They have a program that may help your child to improve her handwriting. I used to scold my son endlessly abt his handwriting and then I found out that is has to do with the way his brain is wired.

He has completed the course of 2 months ( 20 sessions, twice weekly). His handwriting is better now though not as good as I would like it to be but there's definitely an improvement. I also noticed that he more focused after the sessions.

Of cos the centre recommended we do more sessions to improve his handwriting further but we think we have spent enough and wil work with him ourselves.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fxchow » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi Mahes_gopal & Powerpuff mum,

Thanks for your sharing. :D

Wow, Powerpuff mum, it should be very expensive for the course. Anyway, it was worth that you could see the improvement on your boy.

For my girl, I will keep trying to encourage her to write better.

fxchow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby PowerPuff Mum » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:56 pm

To be honest, I was very hesitant to spend the $2200 but I was so desperate. He's a smart boy but he gets his work marked wrong just cos his handwriting was not legible. It was very heart breaking to see him demoralised because of that.

I tried retraining him and getting to write lines but to no avail. His school teacher told me that if his handwriting doesn't improve , it will affect his academic performance.

We decided that perhaps the fee was worth a shot after trying to "fix" him ourselves without much success. In the end, we enrolled him for 2 months ( 20 sessions) and I was quite impressed that there was actually an improvement! I also see a marked improvement in his self management and maturity.

Some people may think that we are being kiasu but I suppose they never seen his handwriting before the course.

So if you ask me...I'd say it was money well spent.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby buds » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Heyya powerfuffmama,

This is good stuff you're sharing with us!
Will you be able to elaborate on what the
ctr did right by your son to validate the
improvement?

Wud you ermm be able to put up the before
and after picture of your child's writings for
us to view the improvement within the 20
sessions your son did? S$2200 is for how
long per session?

Gee... S$2200 is kinda a lot.
But i'm sure you cud apply some of the
techniques they staff did for your son at
the convenience of your home by 20 sessions..
Since you have stopped the sessions by then..

Hey.. am glad it worked out for your child.
It wud be a waste of intelligence if just cos
he has doctor's handwriting, he's not able to
score.

My P2 has the loveliest handwriting and i'm
happy with it. The times spent coaching her
was well spent. :wink: Buuuuutt, my K2 has
the most horrendous handwriting i've ever seen
and i'm still trying to get it fixed. Hopefully can
do it without spending any $$$ lah.. so nevertheless
thank you for your sharing. Its good to know there
may be external options available....... just in case.
Heheh..
:xedfingers:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PowerPuff Mum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:49 am

Buds,
I think it's work in progress. There's still room for improvement for him.
Sure, let me scan his past and present work and you can see the difference.

You can also check their website and find out more :
http://www.brain-revolution.com/home.html

It doesn't come cheap but to me if it works, it's worth considering.

PowerPuff Mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby heyhoe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Is the illegible handwriting cause by poor motorskills?

Just to share that my ds1 have poor motorskills since young. In fact the CC teacher has mentioned that when he was in K1. We were encourage to let him play with playdough.

Also, we started him off with piano lessons so as to improve his motorskills. I think it helps as he can write neater, that is as long as he puts in effort.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:57 pm

heyhoe wrote:Is the illegible handwriting cause by poor motorskills?

I think so too.
My ds1 who has not so good motorskill, has horrible handwriting. Requiring him to be neat will draw reactions like, 'very tiring ah...hand pain ah....must rest....' :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 pm

heyhoe wrote:Is the illegible handwriting cause by poor motorskills?

Just to share that my ds1 have poor motorskills since young. In fact the CC teacher has mentioned that when he was in K1. We were encourage to let him play with playdough.

Also, we started him off with piano lessons so as to improve his motorskills. I think it helps as he can write neater, that is as long as he puts in effort.

Hmm, how old is he now? Offhand, I would say that to accuse a K1 @ age 3(!) of having poor motor skills is kinda like saying rain is wet? Isn't it a bit premature to slap such a label on a child who's barely pass toddlerhood?

Sorry ah, just speaking aloud. :oops:

I suggest that the best way to improve handwriting is to practise: *writing* - one learns to ride a bicycle better by practising on a bicycle, not by flying a kite. Also I think it's important to bring to the child's attention what good handwriting looks like, because they don't really know.

I am pretty sure that children these days all have relatively worse handwriting than us because we did not have mobile phones and computers when we were in primary school.

Very simply: they are not as practised in handwriting as we were.
They simply need to write more, and using pens and pencils, not "write" on a computer.

In general I personally feel that parents should not jump to conclusions prematurely esp. when so-called experts liberally label your child with some scientific adjective so that they can charge you thou$and$ to remove the label.

SORRY! Absolutely no offence intended to all of you here, just my personal opinion! :sweat: I'm sure there are some kids with genuine problems, but for the rest, please consider my thoughts. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child