LEARNConcierge

All About Handwriting

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: All About Handwriting

Postby zac's mum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:46 pm

penmighty wrote:handwriting is not so important in this era. Ask yourself honestly, when was the last time you took a pen to write? well for my name sake I shall pretend i didn't say that lol.

Haha yes I agree with u! They are learning touch typing in P1 during their computer lessons via the mconline portal. Vastly more useful in this era IMO.

But but but...for primary & secondary school tests and exams, they still need to write with pencil/pen. I only require that my boy's handwriting be legible enough for the markers. Whether "pretty" or not, he doesn't bother & I don't bother.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iceywind88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 pm

maybe the future is such that traditional pen/paper form of writing will be taken over by typing or even speech-to-text in the form of E-copies. definitely seeing companies doing that already

iceywind88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kchairenn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

After looking through some of the pages in this thread, most of the replies in the recent updated pages mentioned that handwriting is not as important in the future era.

We've to prepare children for future challenges, therefore ICT, such as coding is introduced to the children in earlier phases of their lives. However at present, handwriting is a challenge that the children have to get ready for, as children still complete their assignments and examinations by writing.

Some parents comment that pretty handwriting or not is not a concern. But, if others need to take more than a second to figure out an alphabet or stroke, does it mean "legible"? Especially for children who are the age of forming structure of making sense out of it, it is even more important for them to write precisely.

Guiding the children to write each alphabet or stroke carefully helps in nurturing the children, by instilling the value of resilience and patience, building their observation skills and training their psychomotor skill.

Well, this message is naggy but when I look at the handwriting of children and their parents nowadays, it really is worrisome.

kchairenn
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zac's mum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 am

Hi...it has been a few months since my last post here. At that time, my boy was in P1. They have a Stellar Handwriting book which has guided horizontal lines for the kids to aim the height of their Capital letters and middle curves (eg. small h, small b etc) accurately.

However, I must say this: while it is good to practice this (that’s why the book was printed in the first place!), many boys are NOT developmentally able to gauge the spatial positioning at P1. I can see the difference now when he’s in P2 already. There is much improvement. Same with Chinese characters. The positioning of the left side/right side of the word (eg 对) within the square box, this is a developmental milestone. If you try to force and force the child, stress him to practise beyond what is reasonable, you will only get frustration and breakdown and straining of the relationship.

That is why I say, legibility is more important. Spacing and proportion...pretty penmanship...those are good to have but choose your battles wisely.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bsk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi,
My girl is in P4 & she is a left hander. I need someone to teach the holding the paper & pencil positions correctly, since she will be very soon in Upper primary ..Her handwriting used to be clumpsy, when i force to write neatly her writing is slow & put lots stress of hands. want to fix this asap this year.
Anyone who help with this ? Appreciate your support

bsk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:53 am

bsk wrote:Hi,
My girl is in P4 & she is a left hander. I need someone to teach the holding the paper & pencil positions correctly, since she will be very soon in Upper primary ..Her handwriting used to be clumpsy, when i force to write neatly her writing is slow & put lots stress of hands. want to fix this asap this year.

I have a LH daughter who has nice handwriting and has had no problems with handwriting. I don't know how she does it though - I haven't really looked closely recently! Can you describe what the problems are? Maybe I can check with my daughter tonight (she's 18, gone to her temp job already). My RH daughter has poor motor skills and poor handwriting, but was able to get through A levels (Arts stream). Her writing is not pretty, but legible.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 am

kchairenn wrote:Some parents comment that pretty handwriting or not is not a concern. But, if others need to take more than a second to figure out an alphabet or stroke, does it mean "legible"? Especially for children who are the age of forming structure of making sense out of it, it is even more important for them to write precisely.

Guiding the children to write each alphabet or stroke carefully helps in nurturing the children, by instilling the value of resilience and patience, building their observation skills and training their psychomotor skill.

Well, this message is naggy but when I look at the handwriting of children and their parents nowadays, it really is worrisome.

I'm one of those parents who has decided that handwriting is no longer a major issue. The "grownup world" beyond A levels (other than exams) is mostly digital, so kids really only need to "survive" up university exams, I guess. For those who have the time, energy and ability to develop neat and attractive handwriting, it's a good thing for all the reasons you cite, but for a child who has fine motor skills deficits, time spent on handwriting may take away from other areas which need practice too, so it's a choice of how time is spent. Of course, if a child whose handwriting is poor because of a "don't-care" attitude and laziness, making him practise more is probably a good thing.

I suppose "legible" may mean different things to different people? If a teacher has to spend a second to decipher each word, I wouldn't regard that as "legible". My aim for my daughter was that a teacher, while she might complain about ugliness and untidiness, would be able to read the writing as easily as neater writing. My experience is that only Pr school teachers complain about ugly and untidy handwriting; Sec school teachers and beyond only complain if the handwriting is so bad as to be illegible, or where it makes labels of diagrams etc unreadable. And experienced teachers are very good at reading less-than-ideal handwriting!

I am also one of those adults whose handwriting has deteriorated over the years. Since my university graduation 30+ yrs ago, I have hardly had to handwrite anything longer than a few sentences at a time, and those were all drafts or informal communications, not finished products. I have worked in words-intensive professions, and all those jobs have relied heavily on computers. My daughters used computers quite a bit in secondary school except for daily homework and exams. By university, all "proper" assignments and submissions are no longer handwritten, although exams still are (but non-exam assessments are getting more common).

It used to be that all formal letters and papers were handwritten. Those in engineering fields used slide rules or log tables etc. Clothes were washed by hand. Times change and energy is limited.
Last edited by slmkhoo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zac's mum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 am

Here’s an article which describes how left handers need to learn writing grip etc differently from right handlers: http://www.handedness.org/action/leftwrite.html

Here’s YouTube video if she prefers visual guide:
https://youtu.be/94j_clHMTNM

The best way to obtain hands on coaching is of course from a teacher who is left handed herself and has neat handwriting. I believe that’s what you’re asking for. But they may be rare (I don’t know any myself), so internet is the next best thing.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am

zac's mum wrote:

Here’s an article which describes how left handers need to learn writing grip etc differently from right handlers: http://www.handedness.org/action/leftwrite.html

Here’s YouTube video if she prefers visual guide:
https://youtu.be/94j_clHMTNM

The best way to obtain hands on coaching is of course from a teacher who is left handed herself and has neat handwriting. I believe that’s what you’re asking for. But they may be rare (I don’t know any myself), so internet is the next best thing.

I have a LH classmate who used the "hook" method in the first link. She had OK handwriting - not beautiful for fairly neat and legible. It got her through school and university in pre-digital days. In fact, she was top student in a highly-regarded school, did well in a very competitive university course, and is now a university professor. So although being LH can be a problem in some ways, students can learn to work around it.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bsk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the reply. For my daughter, the paper position isn't right and covers her own writing.. I thought she will fix it by herself.. But now she is in P4, so must fix it this year before the pale. Her English teacher already complained..
I just need help with the right position for paper I think, rest should naturally fall in place..
Appreciate if someone can recommend some short sessions to fix this.

bsk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

LEARNConcierge