volunteer work for children

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

volunteer work for children

Postby happysheltie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:49 am

err.... sorry, I don't know where should I park this query to. hope I'm on the right thread.

I was wondering if anyone know of any organisation where an adult and kid can do volunteering work. like the old folks home or children home. I check the children society website, seems like they do not encourage young ones. they only indicate 15 yrs above type.

DD is P2 this year. she has been talking so much about wanting to help people when she grow up and now she is always so helpful. I have been wanting to do volunteer work myself but didn't have the time. since dd has the interest, am checking if there is any organisation encourage kid at such young age. we can volunteer our time over the weekend. if anyone knows where I can check out with, pls let me know. thanks!

happysheltie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: volunteer work for children

Postby lostbunny » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:03 pm

happysheltie wrote:err.... sorry, I don't know where should I park this query to. hope I'm on the right thread.

I was wondering if anyone know of any organisation where an adult and kid can do volunteering work. like the old folks home or children home. I check the children society website, seems like they do not encourage young ones. they only indicate 15 yrs above type.

DD is P2 this year. she has been talking so much about wanting to help people when she grow up and now she is always so helpful. I have been wanting to do volunteer work myself but didn't have the time. since dd has the interest, am checking if there is any organisation encourage kid at such young age. we can volunteer our time over the weekend. if anyone knows where I can check out with, pls let me know. thanks!

Try Tzu Chi

http://www.tzuchi.org.sg/

lostbunny
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 pm

lostbunny wrote:Try Tzu Chi

Thanks Lostbunny! I have been looking for this type of volunteer work as well. I even tried contacting SGcares and other volunteer organisations for my centre's students and my own kids but all of them said they don't encourage one-off volunteer work. I remembered visiting old folks home when I was in Primary school and it was indeed a great experience for young children like us.

I will try to contact Tzu Chi. Thank you.

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm

I heard from a friend that he brings his kids to volunteer / drop off gifts to Chen Su Lan Methodist Children's Home at Serangoon Gardens. They won't want kids on their own but with parents, they are OK.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happysheltie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:10 am

hi hi,

thanks to those who response.

this is what I saw from the children society website on the concerns.

"Q : I would like to expose my children to the underprivileged. Can I bring them along to the centres to volunteer?
A : We generally do not encourage parents to bring along their children (especially very young ones). This is to avoid any possible conflict of interest that may arise in the course of volunteering. If you have any concerns in this area, you may wish to discuss this with your centre’s volunteer coordinator."

I thought visiting to the children's home is more suitable for our own kids. They will appreciate how fortunate they are and to care for the less fortunate. play with them and show them more love. on the children's home point of view, maybe it's true that the kids in the home might feel jealous in a way.

happysheltie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby eyktay » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 am

HappyFaye wrote:
lostbunny wrote:Try Tzu Chi

Thanks Lostbunny! I have been looking for this type of volunteer work as well. I even tried contacting SGcares and other volunteer organisations for my centre's students and my own kids but all of them said they don't encourage one-off volunteer work. I remembered visiting old folks home when I was in Primary school and it was indeed a great experience for young children like us.

I will try to contact Tzu Chi. Thank you.

Hi HappyFaye,
Pls share your experience after contacting Tzu Chi. I see many works like this Christian based, am glad to see something from Buddhism side. Am keen to explore too. Thanks much!

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby HappyFaye » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi, i have given them a call. They do not have any specific volunteer work suitable for students as they liaise with other organizations that have certain limitations set by them. Basically, Tzu Chi organization is run based on mainly volunteers.

The admin staff did recommend their Recycling Centre whereby the students are taught on recycling and create eco awareness. Basically all things can be recycled except furniture. It will be 2 hrs. Just let them know 1 mth in advance, preferably weekend as most volunteers hold jobs during weekday and would be available on weekends only. Can look for Kim or email them at admin@tzuchi.org.sg

I did suggest abt donating clothes or books etc for needy families. For clothes, they have too many people giving them. Due to limited manpower, they will resell them.

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby eyktay » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:18 am

HappyFaye wrote:Hi, i have given them a call. They do not have any specific volunteer work suitable for students as they liaise with other organizations that have certain limitations set by them. Basically, Tzu Chi organization is run based on mainly volunteers.

The admin staff did recommend their Recycling Centre whereby the students are taught on recycling and create eco awareness. Basically all things can be recycled except furniture. It will be 2 hrs. Just let them know 1 mth in advance, preferably weekend as most volunteers hold jobs during weekday and would be available on weekends only. Can look for Kim or email them at admin@tzuchi.org.sg

I did suggest abt donating clothes or books etc for needy families. For clothes, they have too many people giving them. Due to limited manpower, they will resell them.

Thanks for sharing!
The Recycling Awareness talk, do they need a minimum class size to start?

eyktay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunflower2005 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 am

Hi. I had just brought my girl for one mission at Toa payoh care corner ..
Anyone interested ? Is weekday program 1pm to 3pm.
Need those can go regulary.
http://tongfamilysabrina.bloodspot.com

sunflower2005
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sunflower2005 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 am

sunflower2005
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child