How do you control TV or computer time?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How do you control TV or computer time?

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:28 pm

My DS & DD are normally well behaved but when come to TV and computer, they just have a hard time to follow the allowed time limit. This results in a lot of screaming and nagging at the end. Any suggestion to train them to be responsible of time management?

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How do you control TV or computer time?

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 pm

HappyFaye wrote:My DS & DD are normally well behaved but when come to TV and computer, they just have a hard time to follow the allowed time limit. This results in a lot of screaming and nagging at the end. Any suggestion to train them to be responsible of time management?

you need to pre-negotiate the time slot / amount of time allowed, and stick to it strictly, and that is it
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:41 pm

i let them watch TV for an hour and play computer for half an hour per day as discussed and agreed and sometime more depending if they have finished their work or revision. But somehow, they just can't seem to stop by the agreed time and i am always quick in jumping and 'screaming' when the time is up :frustrated:

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:
HappyFaye wrote:My DS & DD are normally well behaved but when come to TV and computer, they just have a hard time to follow the allowed time limit. This results in a lot of screaming and nagging at the end. Any suggestion to train them to be responsible of time management?

you need to pre-negotiate the time slot / amount of time allowed, and stick to it strictly, and that is it

agreed with verykiasu2010.

Initially DS will try to ask for 5 min or 10 min more, but I will tell him firmly either he switch off or I will, and if i do, he won't get to play computer \ wii \ watch TV etc for a long time.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby cherrygal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Never put a TV and a computer in your kid's room, no matter how old they are.

I tell my boy he can only play the computer during school holidays. He agreed as he too admitted his mind was too focused on the game.

Other than that, he is a TV addict. I have to get him to do up a timetable that includes TV and Reading time. I also sign him up for tuition so I know his work is done before he spends time watching TV at home.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm

tankee wrote:
verykiasu2010 wrote:

agreed with verykiasu2010.

Initially DS will try to ask for 5 min or 10 min more, but I will tell him firmly either he switch off or I will, and if i do, he won't get to play computer \ wii \ watch TV etc for a long time.

actually many of the programmes are repeated every few months

tell the kids : even education programme will be repeated, so no need to miss it, and can watch it during holiday time

if they are cartoons, it will be repeated even more often, so not watching now means nothing missed

over time, they will learn to accept that there is nothing to be missed and don't waste time

for now, there is no TV time for the kids during weekday. i can watch my news, they will continue to be upstairs doing their work

for weekend, they will watch for two hours per day....but if i come across something interesting anytime i will call them if they have done their work

for computer, they will have it based on their assignment needs.....same reasoning for games, and NYPS has taught them well regarding computer games addiction - so they steer clear of it
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BeContented » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Hi,
I also agree with verykiasu2010, need to be firm.

Just curious, how old are they now? Sometimes, even adults have trouble controlling.....so kids being kids, it's even harder for them to resist. So guess we have to be observe and find the best solution to this.

For me, I used to spend time 'negotiating, nagging, screaming' over their computer/TV usage level daily until I'm so tired and everyone became unhappy. Eventually, I realized it's like taking drugs, you need higher dosage to be satisfied as time goes on.

What I did was to totally disallow computer and TV on Mon-Thurs. Except during dinner time of 1 hour, they are not allowed to watch cartoons, TV dramas, play games etc... Computer is only for school work eg. lead portal, research etc. And I will also allow more 'educational programmes' .eg. 小兵迎大将, Lab rats, Tricky TV etc. In return, on Fri - Sun they get 2 of electronic hours daily....TV, computer, DVD, up to them as long as they keep within the 2 hours. And when they misbehave, depending on the seriousness, we take away their electronic hours accordingly. And of course, we make them happy with incremental of 15 mins for good work/behaviour, celebration etc. So far, I think it has worked for us. They understand the rules and has since stop pestering from Mon-Thurs and look forward to their electronic time starting on Fri.

My kids are 10 & 11 now, not sure if it will work as they get older tho :) Hope you will find a workaround too.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 pm

HappyFaye wrote:i let them watch TV for an hour and play computer for half an hour per day as discussed and agreed and sometime more depending if they have finished their work or revision. But somehow, they just can't seem to stop by the agreed time and i am always quick in jumping and 'screaming' when the time is up :frustrated:

Similar to your situation, we have a schedule - usually half an hour of TV on weeekday and one hour of TV on weekends. Computer, strictly for school work only unless it's holidays. Even during holidays, it is at most one hour.

However, I do not allow for the "sometime more depending if they have finished their work or revision" as it opens room for kids to take advantage and manipulate. For eg, some kids will finish work quickly (untidy and with mistakes) and the issue of "why last time can but now cannot" etc. So if my kids have extra time, they will either read or play with their lego/puzzles/origami etc.

I use this strategy to control the duration. I will ask my kids to tell me the start time, get them to work out the end time and write it down - so at least there will be no arguments when the time is up.

A variation would be to use a timer.

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Trapwithin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:

Yea .. I adopt vk2010 method as well.

Trapwithin
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Peony » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 am

Family habit - the TV is on when we have dinner.

Aside from that, she identifies her favourite shows - two. I let her watch them.

She rarely has time for other TV shows and computer. Too much homework... sighz...

Peony
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child