Flashcard on Animal Alphabet?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Flashcard on Animal Alphabet?

Postby allseasons » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:43 am

Hi all,

I started to teach my youngest son alphabet, but he seems not very interested :cry: . Since he is very interested with animals, I am just thinking it could be easier to teach him with flashcards with animal on the alphabet, e.g. C for Cat, D for Dog, etc.

Wonder if I could get this kind of flashcards in the bookshop or I need to make it myself. Anyone already made and can share here, so I can just print the flashcards? :pray:

Thanks and cheers

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Flashcard on Animal Alphabet?

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 am

allseasons wrote: Since he is very interested with animals, I am just thinking it could be easier to teach him with flashcards with animal on the alphabet, e.g. C for Cat, D for Dog, etc.

how young is your youngest son?

i made a mistake introducing 'animal-based' alphabets to my boy before i introduce him to leapfrog's letter factory. my boy's first letter at 18mth old is 'Zee'. i used montessori's method..'zig zag zebra zee zee zee' song.

now at 26mth old, whenever he sees a zebra, he said..'mummy! zig zag! zig zag! :roll:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Addoil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:04 am

Hi allseasons

u may look for the flashcards at Popular, there should be have what you are looking for.

Hi jedamum

just realise, is ur boys born in yr2006 end?

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby allseasons » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:32 am

Yeah, should try to go to Popular... :lol:

Jedamum, my son is now 2.5 y.o, born in June 06. Try the leap frog letter factory... but a bit difficult, as he is not interested with it. Everytime I played leapfrog DVd, he will ask me to change to other DVD. His favourite is Diego (Dora's friend)... :cry:

Last month I tried to teach number to him. He remember no 1 to 9, but everytime he saw number 10, he will say 12... Hmm, quite tricky to teach him, compared with my eldest son.

Any other ideas how to teach number and alphabet to children below 3 y.o?

allseasons
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 am

I have not seens flash cards that match animals and alphabets but I do have a chart which I bought from the stationary shop in Funan Center....

I used to point at the relevant alphabet and sing the alphabet song to my son when he is around 1- 18 months old and play the singing times (ABCs) one to him. Which seems to work...

alphabets with matching flash cards sounds like an interesting topic though... lets brain storm and I will see if I can get enough public domain images for all the animals to post a flash cards...

A -Alligator
B - Bat
C - Cat
D - Dog
E - Elephant
F - Fish
G -Giraffe, Gorilla
H - Horse / Hippopotamus
I - Iguana
J - Jaguar
K- Kangaroo
L - Leopard / Lion/
M - Monkey,
N - ?
O- Octopus
P - ?
Q - ?
R – Rabbit
S - Snail
T - Turtle
U - ?
V - ?
W- Whale
X - ?
Y – Yak
Z – Zebra

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 am

yes Addoil,
my boy is born in Nov 2006. he can't speak clearly or in sentences yet, but he can count, say the alphabet and sound the letters. :wink:

allseasons,
i am not a fan of flashcards as my boy will trash them, scatter them and then slot them under the cardboard :roll: - i only have 4 of the letters of the alphabet left :wink:

he has very short attention span and loves tv/animated stuff, so this is my other 'secret' weapon besides the Letter Factory...
- Animal Alphabet
- Alphabet Song
- ABC Song (again)
(Lets Start Smart has other quite interesting series too...some quite useful for older toddlers too...just simple search in Youtube and you can find them easily)
- Counting 1 to 10

for activities for letters, i got this book from popular (i saw tom and stef carry them too). i chosethis book only cos of its first 2 pages - they are A to Z lift a flap. then i have those loose A to Z tiles and get him to match and we sing the Letter Factory song at the same time.

mincy,
thanks for our earlier flashcards. they make great slideshows too. :D
maybe you can get some of the animal inspirations in my abovementioned clip. :D

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38 am

N - Narwhal/Nightingale

P - Penguin/Pigeon/Platapus
Q - Quail

V - Vulture

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Addoil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi allseasons

how old is your elder son? is it possible to get him join in the lesson with younger son? :D

hi jedamum

Mine is Dec06. allseasons's son is Jun06, ur is Nov06. :D Thks for the sharing.

hi mincy

may I know how to find your earlier flashcards. Title for the forum subject is? :D

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mintcc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 pm

you are most jedamum :D And thanks for the animal cards references and ideas! Got inspiration to make some liao...

:celebrate:

Addoil, the other flash cards are at :
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... parentscom

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Addoil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 pm

hi mincy

Thks for the link :D good day.

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt