Why do we use pencil instead of pen for writing in school?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Why do we use pencil instead of pen for writing in school?

Postby Jaisbiz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Parents who are educators,

Do you have the answer for above question?
My boy impose above doubt when doing his homework.
Is it because pencil is a better tool on achieving good penmanship?

:?

Jaisbiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby e3nity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 pm

when the child is younger, they are asked to use pencil as they tend to make more mistakes when they right. I don't think the teachers will wish to mark worksheets with thick layers of correction tape.. As they grow older, they are equiped with the ability to write nicely.. Lesser mistakes will be made.. My personal opinion.

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby phankao » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:32 pm

e3nity wrote:when the child is younger, they are asked to use pencil as they tend to make more mistakes when they right. I don't think the teachers will wish to mark worksheets with thick layers of correction tape.. As they grow older, they are equiped with the ability to write nicely.. Lesser mistakes will be made.. My personal opinion.

Usually from p4, they use pen.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:24 pm

phankao wrote:
e3nity wrote:when the child is younger, they are asked to use pencil as they tend to make more mistakes when they right. I don't think the teachers will wish to mark worksheets with thick layers of correction tape.. As they grow older, they are equiped with the ability to write nicely.. Lesser mistakes will be made.. My personal opinion.

oops I missed that part haha.. Yup when they equip better writing skills they will start to use a pen..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Jaisbiz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm

e3nity wrote:
phankao wrote:

oops I missed that part haha.. Yup when they equip better writing skills they will start to use a pen..

I see,thank for the responds.
I am in the process of training my boy on his handwriting skill which I think a bit kind of late on starting him on that ..
He is discouraged when I asked him to erase and rewrite on those out of line or out of shape ... Should I let him practice writing many many letters/words till ok stage without erasing? If so, then it does't matter whether he like to use pen or pencil on his written works?

Jaisbiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ANobleNerd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 pm

We teach the lower primary kids to use a pencil because pencils don't blot and the kids can foster neatness by erasing their work cleanly.

If you're doing writing work at home, encourage him to use a 2B pencil to copy texts. The 2B pencil marks can be erased easily, so that the paper can be cleaned.

Get him to copy sentences rather than single words. Doing so helps him to gauge spacings and promote the idea of starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending with a full-stop.

Let him practise erasing cleanly. It's an important skill, and will help him develop a mental habit of correcting his text to an acceptable level of neatness and legibility.

The pen can be a reward for him to use at home when he gains a certain level of skill in writing neatly.

ANobleNerd
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Jaisbiz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 pm

ANobleNerd wrote:We teach the lower primary kids to use a pencil because pencils don't blot and the kids can foster neatness by erasing their work cleanly.

If you're doing writing work at home, encourage him to use a 2B pencil to copy texts. The 2B pencil marks can be erased easily, so that the paper can be cleaned.

Get him to copy sentences rather than single words. Doing so helps him to gauge spacings and promote the idea of starting a sentence with a capital letter and ending with a full-stop.

Let him practise erasing cleanly. It's an important skill, and will help him develop a mental habit of correcting his text to an acceptable level of neatness and legibility.

The pen can be a reward for him to use at home when he gains a certain level of skill in writing neatly.

Thanks, ANobleNerd.
Will put these advices into action. :wink:

Jaisbiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child