How to Teach your kid to focus in class?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to Teach your kid to focus in class?

Postby e3nity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:25 pm

DS has a problem which needs constant reminder to sit still. I brought him to KKH for assessment. Doctor say he is normal. In another words he is not hyper active or attention deficiency. His learning abilities is normal as well. But whenever it comes to class time, he just need to move here and there. His school teachers say it is normal for kids to behave this way. But when he goes to his enrichment class in (Igenius) his teacher say otherwise.

Do you have such problem with your child? How do you train y our child to be focus during lessons?

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

How old is your child? Mine is always running about, playing with doors.

How much is the KKH assessment?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:35 pm

Oppsgal
I went to the poly clinic to get a referral letter so the KKH assessment was very cheap. About $30+. My DS is going 6yrs old. Next yr he will b in P1. I'm so worried. Don't know if he is able to cope well in P1.. haiz..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cnimed » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:18 pm

My son (P1) doesn't run around, but he's still a space cadet - mind in outer space - while physically in the seat . Going through his work is .... :faint: He says he just copies whatever the teacher tells them to copy and then go back to making airplanes with his pencils and rubber bands. I do think it's a normal sign of boredom, but extremely exasperating.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby e3nity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

deminc, i wonder how some parents train their kids to focus during lesson. Most of his peers seems ok and rather attentive. But my little monkey will be running here running there touching this touching that.. :faint:

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: How to Teach your kid to focus in class?

Postby Jaisbiz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi e3nity,

Just curious, how do the doctor assess your DS?

My DS also can't sit still. When watching TV, he will need to hold on to something and if not backside keep moving up and down .. When asking him to practice writing, write one letter - ask a few questions ..

Whereas in his "Berries" class which he say he don't like chinese lesson, I peep and observe that he will sit still and listen if it interest him ,if not or tired on that day he will start to touch here and there ..

When reading stories: if interest him, he will listen and chip in his story while hand,leg,backside moving like octopus swimming in the sea ...

When he is tired/hungry/too much in-take of chocolate or sweet stuff, he will start these octopus 's move too

So I cut-down on chocolate,sweet stuff,ensure enough sleep and lastly interesting lessons for him which are the hardness to be done .. :cry:

Jaisbiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: How to Teach your kid to focus in class?

Postby e3nity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:33 am

Jaisbiz wrote:Hi e3nity,

Just curious, how do the doctor assess your DS?

My DS also can't sit still. When watching TV, he will need to hold on to something and if not backside keep moving up and down .. When asking him to practice writing, write one letter - ask a few questions ..

Whereas in his "Berries" class which he say he don't like chinese lesson, I peep and observe that he will sit still and listen if it interest him ,if not or tired on that day he will start to touch here and there ..

When reading stories: if interest him, he will listen and chip in his story while hand,leg,backside moving like octopus swimming in the sea ...

When he is tired/hungry/too much in-take of chocolate or sweet stuff, he will start these octopus 's move too

So I cut-down on chocolate,sweet stuff,ensure enough sleep and lastly interesting lessons for him which are the hardness to be done .. :cry:

Same same.. Ds is like that as well. Kkh assess the child by surveys and observe his behavior when asked to do some stuff. to be frank the result is always "parents need to set clear boundaries and let them b certain about what is do and Wat is don't. School teachers in this case do enforce these golden rule but enrichment teachers r nt following. As a result Ds will turn off the lights and walk about Coz teacher didn't tell him NO!! No matter how many times I request the teacher to be firm in setting boundaries, the centre reply is the teacher is soft spoken.. :stupid:

However as Ds gets older, he seems to be copin well in school. But the case in his igenuis enrichment class didn't improve. Recently I enrolled Ds to krtc phonics class, the teacher's reply was Ds is performing well in class and she got no problem in asking him to sit dwn..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Jaisbiz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

I see, what do igenus teach in class? I can't see much information from their web site

Jaisbiz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cherrygal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 am

I think the teachers at some enrichment centres are young and forget to set boundaries for the kids. My son was so afraid of one male teacher who was very strict with the kids. He didn't dare move in that class! It's the same with parents. If you don't set boundaries for your kids, they will behave like little emperors and climb over your heads. Kids have an innate need for boundaries and rules. Use them.

Just read Supernanny by Jo Frost and here are her top 10 rules:
1. Praise and Rewards - best are attention, praise and love. Not sweets.
2. Consistency - a rule is a rule, no changes
3. Routine - set a timetable
4. Boundaries - You need to set rules and keep them
5. Discipline - Keep boundaries with discipline. Can be with authoritative voice, warnings etc. She doesn't advocate harsh punishment. Perhaps withdraw privileges.
6. Warnings - give advance notice of what is coming up and also give kids the chance to correct bad behaviour without further disciplinary actions.
7. Explanations - explain why you are disciplining the kid in a simple to understand manner.
8. Restraint - Keep your cool.
9. Responsibility - Allow the kids to boost their self confidence by letting them do small achievable tasks. Get them to help around the house and give praise.
10. Relaxation - Make sure you, your spouse and other kids get quality time for individual attention. Chill.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Jaisbiz wrote:I see, what do igenus teach in class? I can't see much information from their web site

They train the kids to use more of their right brain. Well.. i do suggest to parents to let their kids enrol to such classes when they understand what is goin on.. I seriously doubt if ds reali understand wat the teachers r teachin when he is lke 3yrs old.. now he is turning 6yrs.. i dont see any effect on him..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child