Almost-5 year old not enjoying school

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Almost-5 year old not enjoying school

Postby momdor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 pm

My son has been going to a church kindy since N2. He is an active child and even when reading a book/paying attention, his body does not remain still. He is averagely intelligent, is very visual, very imaginative, has a great sense of humor, and has a good grasp of phonograms (school uses Spalding method). But his fine motor skills is not strong.

It took him a year to get used to going to N2 (!!), I feel partly because the programme is very structured. This year (K1), he seems more used it. But when I ask him how his day went, he would answer according to whether teacher has been "angry" with him. I communicated with the teacher about this, and she told me that he was dreamy, needed more individual attention, and she was concerned about his attitude, which was a bit of a shock to me. Apart from being dreamy and easily discouraged, my son is very obedient and teachable.

Personally, I do not mind that my son is not academically 'brilliant', and I would prefer that he develops at his own pace. He is usually able to focus and learn if something interests him (e.g. golf). But I am afraid in school, he is beginning to feel very lousy about himself.

Now I am wondering if I should switch him to a less structured environment, and whether this would make him less ready for P1.

I live near River Valley, and the preschool programmes can be quite costly.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

momdor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 pm

new teacher?

DS is very dreamy too. Often pretending to be Ben 10.

And thus in his pre-schools' day, we often receive similar feedbacks from his new teachers each year.

Luckily after they got to know him better, relationship warmed up.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Charmaine_chong » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 pm

Dear Momdor,

What comes to my mind first is how does the teacher react towards your son? Is she/he a loving, patient and caring teacher? What does he/she planning to do to help your son or attract yr son's attention to reading/activities?

Teacher is extremely important.

I would suggest to enrol your son to an environment whereby kindergarten is caring, kind, patient and always having fun. Learning academic is a must. Teacher must know how to make it fun for them.

Do you spend time with your son playing together, reading aloud to him with interesting and age appropriate stories, exposing him to good games like blokus, bingo, sodoku...., bringing to fun places eg: zoo ?

Attention can be improved through reading to him daily and bring him to playground to run around, swimming ... to drain his energy. Trust me, he will learn better. This is my personal experience.

My son had short attention when he was aged 3, 1-5mins the most. What i have done with him is reading aloud every night, doing crafts, let him run/play at playground as much as i can, and we recite classics.

Dont be discouraged by the teacher. You try to do your part at home, i am sure you will see great improvement on him over times.

Praise him when he did a great job eg: help to clean table, shower on his own....

Let me know if i can of any help.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sydney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:57 am

My DS when he was in pre-school, very active, short attention span etc. Very common experience with many others. When my DS was in P1, he was diagnosed with attention deficit. Since then, our whole approach in teaching him had to be modified.

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sydney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:59 am

Momdor,

Sorry don't mean to frighten you. Just sharing my experience.

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Working With Your Child