Afraid of school bus

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Afraid of school bus

Postby calcium » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Till date my son has still not settle into the school yet, and the main reason is his fear of school bus.

During the first few days in school, he played a game called "Tag" on the school bus and accidently touch some P3 and P4's gals. Upon reaching the school, the gals complained that my son molested them.

I went to the school wanting to find out more and later punished him not because played this game but because he did not tell the truth when I was questioning him. :x

I told him to stay by himself and not to agitate the gor gor and jie jie in the school bus and I think the parents also told him not to play with him. Now the journey to school for him is torturous and lonely. :cry:

Calling to my wife and saying don;t want to go to school is an everyday affair and heart aches to see him cry and board the bus

We plan :idea: to get him some interesting books for him to read on way to school.

calcium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sashimi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 pm

1) He needs to assuage his guilt - has he made a proper apology? But this may not work if the girls continue to ostracize him. Kids can be even more unforgiving than adults. They will not understand the social implications of their behaviour.

2) You can help as the adult - go with him to the bus and together (both you and your son) apologize to the kids involved, and ask them to forgive him, explain it's an accident, etc. This will hopefully clear the air.

If this fails:
3) Change bus or change method of transportation. I.e. remove him from the very environment he fears, until such time as the ill feelings have faded away. This is a very blunt solution, but it is likely to be the fastest.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ryankwek » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 pm

I think proposal #2 works.

My son accidentally tripped his classmate and she fell down.
She went back home to complain to her parents. Of course, the parents went to the school and spoke to his form-teacher.

I set an example to my son and apologized to the classmate's parents. I explained to them that it was an accident.
My son acknowledged that although he did not do it intentionally, the girl did in fact fell down.
He was brave and apologized to his classmate in front of his class.

Now, the incident is over.

ryankwek
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby calcium » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 am

I actually went to the school and get the facts from the girls and subsequently apologise to the girls, but probably the parents asked them not to mingle with him.

I would also like to drop by the school to coincide with the bus arrival time to have a look at the situation. Would that be a good idea. :?

calcium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby dream » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:19 pm

:cry:

dream
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby calcium » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:25 pm

I drop by the school yesterday and managed to catch hold of the bus and spoke to the other boys and gals. Apologising to them and asked them if they can accept my boy again.

I explain to them the situation about him fearing the bus and no friends and they were quite receptive and readily forgave him. I will need to check with my boy today how is the situation on bus......

Stay tune and for all the discussion shared, Thankyou very much.

calcium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MMM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Calcium,

Did you paint the scenario to those kids. Eg. imagine if you play with your friends and you acidenatlly get into the same situation, will you like it if your friends also treat you like that????

The kids ought to think about it. They never know if they will get into the same situation.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sashimi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:32 pm

calcium wrote:I drop by the school yesterday and managed to catch hold of the bus and spoke to the other boys and gals. Apologising to them and asked them if they can accept my boy again.

I explain to them the situation about him fearing the bus and no friends and they were quite receptive and readily forgave him. I will need to check with my boy today how is the situation on bus......

Bravo, I'm so glad to hear of the improvement. I hope it works out - do keep us updated!

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mwchua » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 am

hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have kids taking the school bus in the form of a van.

Are they safe in your experience ? and the ventilation ? for P1 kids who are quite tall, will it prove to be very cramped ?

The reason why I am asking is most probably the school bus plying on the route will be in the form of a van.

Many thanks.

Rgds,
Ming

mwchua
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby calcium » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:18 am

sashimi wrote:
calcium wrote:I drop by the school yesterday and managed to catch hold of the bus and spoke to the other boys and gals. Apologising to them and asked them if they can accept my boy again.

Bravo, I'm so glad to hear of the improvement. I hope it works out - do keep us updated!

Sorry was doing a bit of travelling, the talk with other students help and now he enjoys going to school and some of the elders also take care of him.

:celebrate:

calcium
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child