How to handle when a P5 child request to classmate house?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to handle when a P5 child request to classmate house?

Postby Musicstar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Parents,

May I check any of your children request to classmate house to do project? I also wonder how come a P5 students already have project to do.

I am firm and not allow her to go classmate house but tell her classmate to come over to my house. I'm stay at home mum so I can know what they are doing their work. Unfortunately, her classmate's mother also say the same thing, why come to our house should go to their house.

If you child request you to their classmate house, will you reject and what is the reason you will give.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to handle when a P5 child request to classmate house

Postby Chenonceau » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 am

Musicstar wrote:Hi Parents,

May I check any of your children request to classmate house to do project? I also wonder how come a P5 students already have project to do.

I am firm and not allow her to go classmate house but tell her classmate to come over to my house. I'm stay at home mum so I can know what they are doing their work. Unfortunately, her classmate's mother also say the same thing, why come to our house should go to their house.

If you child request you to their classmate house, will you reject and what is the reason you will give.

In P4 they already have projects. In P5, they do have to meet. I think it helps to build relationships with the classmates parents. So whilst I encouraged their friends to come over, I was also aware that they could take turns to do projects at each others' houses. I drive them over and make friends with the other mothers.

When it's our turn to host, I try to provide a lot of nice things (snacks and all) etc... so that they will wanna come over more often. And I am very welcoming and warm. This sets a pattern for adolescence when you wanna know who they hang out with but dun wanna come across as spying. The more you know of the families of your children's classmates, the easier to keep tabs on your child in future.

I don't allow sleepovers though.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:27 am

If both mums insist on the other coming to her house, why not the mum and child go together to her house? the girls can do their work, the mums can chit chat ???

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 am

if you don't allow your child to go to her classmate house, how do you expect the classmate parent to allow their child to come to your house ? they also think they way you think

having projects at P5 is not uncommon

actually it is an opportunity for you to know the classmate and her family, bring your child there, stay for a while, get to know the parent, may be while the child do project, the parents can chit chat tips sharing......children need to learn to work as a group too, overly protective will only harm the child in social skills
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby teh_oh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

Hi,
I will call the classmate's mother direct and communicate with her to ensure that she is around when the children are working on the project; I will say no if no one is at home except the maid. Then I will send my child to his classmate's house and hang around (with the permission of the classmate's mum) for say 10-15min before telling him that I'll come back to fetch him at a certain time.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alng » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:44 am

Hi musicstar,

I have a P5 girl too and she has been doing projects since P3. There are more projects this year. She has completed 2 projects in the last 2 months. Both projects required research, preparation of presentation slides, preparation of scripts and rehearsing of speech. One of the two projects required some filming too as she has brought the video cam for filming. She has 3-4 known projects on hand now to be completed in the next few months. In the nutshell, yes P5 students are doing projects.

I have allowed her to go to her classmates' house for projects since P3. We rotate the houses too. Usually, the host has to make sure that all the facilities are available for the project work, like for example, the kids may need a few laptops with internet connection, a colour printer, and not to mention food and drinks. When my girl was younger, I would find out the project work to be done, estimated the amount of time required and factor in some play time. We would then work out the number of hours required to be at the classmates' house. Usually, it would be at least 4-5 hours / half day or sometimes even 8-9 hours / full day. Usually, lunch and one-two snacks were provided by the host.

When the kids were younger, the host would monitor the progress of the project preparation when the kids were there. I would also call my girl to check on their progress too. When the parents pick up our kids, the parents would also review the project and give our inputs for improvements.

Now that the kids are in P5, the parents have learnt to let go of the monitoring.

Regards,
alng

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyBaby » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:48 am

I set this rule - if need to meet to do school project, do it in school. I don't like the idea of DD going over to another classmates' place for the following reasons:
- not sure who would be around (could be helper only while both parents work)
- too many distractions in a home environment (internet, TV, playstations etc)
- problem with sending and picking up (if DD stays back, she can take the later school bus)

I was glad when she needed to do a project at P4, her teacher also set the following rule - no going to each others' house, just do it in school.

MyBaby
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby alng » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:53 am

I totally agree on getting to know the parents of our children's classmates.

When my girl was in P1, I got to know the parents of 1/3 of her classmates as we have many activities and gatherings for kids then. At P1, there were many birthday parties to attend throughout the year so that helped in building relationships.

As the kids get older and busier, birthday parties get fewer, many of us are still in contact with one another. It really helped when you received a call from a parent telling you that your child cried in class over an issue but your child never uttered a word since return from school. :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:54 am

Obviously the best is to do the project in school. If not, call the other mum to discuss it, and also to get to know her. I think I'll be ok with it if I know that there will be a responsible adult around to supervise the children. no need to insist on coming to my place for the sake of it.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Musicstar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 am

Yes, I agree with you that to do it in the school. I told my DD to stay back in the school to do but she did not want to.

MyBaby wrote:

I set this rule - if need to meet to do school project, do it in school. I don't like the idea of DD going over to another classmates' place for the following reasons:
- not sure who would be around (could be helper only while both parents work)
- too many distractions in a home environment (internet, TV, playstations etc)
- problem with sending and picking up (if DD stays back, she can take the later school bus)

I was glad when she needed to do a project at P4, her teacher also set the following rule - no going to each others' house, just do it in school.

Musicstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child