Class Monitor

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Class Monitor

Postby MomDana » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi,

I am in a dilemma. Can someone advise if i "will be" doing the right thing.

I understand from my son that his class monitors rotate by term.

So i am thinking of asking the Form teacher during this coming parent-teacher meeting to let him become class monitor for one term.

The reason is that he does not have any siblings or extended families (cousins)and neither does he has group that he hang out with. He is the "only" child at home and therefore no opportunities to test his leadership and people skills :oops:

I am just concern if the teacher will "think" otherwises. I really like him to try one term to discover more about himself and see how he fair in a team. :lol:

Should i or should i not make this "Request" from the teacher? If parents do not take the initiative to make thing happen, will the child also learn not take the initiative and wait for things to happen? ...meh dilemma... :|

MomDana
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tankee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:16 pm

IMO.

If your child wants to be the class monitor, then let him approach the teacher himself. This is the first step to be a leader. We should advise, encourage but never interfere.

:D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby qms » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

What if all parents were to make the request? :scratchhead:

Teachers have their own criteria when they appoint monitors.

If your son gets selected to be a monitor, good for him. If not, you should encourage him to excel in his everyday life so as to enhance his chance of being selected as a monitor.

My two cents.

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby 3kiddos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 pm

From my experience with P2 dd and P4 ds, these days there are many opportunities for just about everyone to have a chance to be a "leader" in some way or other, from various class monitors (PE, music, art, AV, and so on) to group leaders and assistant group leaders. Even my P2 dd, who is very very shy, and would really rather NOT be appointed anything was library monitor in P1 and is a group leader now in P2.

So I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure your son will have a chance. =)

3kiddos
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Leaders of today.. ;-)

Postby buds » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

This is one inititative the child has to make on his own in my opinion.
It is not one where a parent should come in to initiate. The teachers'
opinions of the parent aside... the child should want the leadership
role as much too and not due to reasons of family background or
number of siblings in the family. I for one would rather not have
my girls be monitors if any of the tasks they have to do are to
always walk around carrying this and that and missing classes.

Here a joke over our dinner table sometime back which i've
shared in another thread.. just share again with you here.

DD1 : I get to be teacher's helper carrying books. I get to go to the
teacher's room ya know.. Do you get to do important stuff like me?

DD2 : Ya of course lah, more important than you even...
I get to carry balls! :idea:

They have aspired to be monitors since they started primary school
DD1 cos of peer pressure and DD2 from the stories jiejie shares with
her about the pride of getting to be one. However, for the wrong reasons
i would say... for if they want to be a monitor because they get to be in
charge, get to write names in the book (trigger-happy)! :lol:.. or because
they want to show off the shiny badge to others.. demean other classmates
who are not in leadership roles.. then i'd rather they not be monitors. All
the wrong reasons. So in P1, i asked if their class monitor was any good.
They both said the monitors were loud, bossy, choose their friends every
other day (one day friend you, another day don't friend you) and at times
the monitors use emotional blackmail on the friends.. like if you don't give
me your new eraser i don't friend you and i'll tell everyone not to friend u..

So, to cut story short.. like tankee and qms.. i believe if the child has got
what it takes to assume the role of monitor or any teacher's helpers they
will get it eventually. If they themselves want it, they will work hard for it
too... to get good grades.. to be on good terms with all the rest of the
classmates.. respect the teachers.. hand up work on time and with the
greatest effort put into the work as well.. help others when in need..
pay attention in class.. etc Climbing the ladder this way will be more
beneficial to the child in general for the child learns to build better peer
relationships and with figures of authority.. learns to be a better student..
learns to be at his or her best at all times. This way the child gets respected
where respect is earned and the nature of this built up character will make
him a leader anywhere the child goes now or later. So my take is do not
rush it.. the time for leadership will come for every child; especially since
in today's context of rotational leaders everyone gets a turn. :wink: If not
class monitors then, Mother Tongue monitors, or PE leaders or library
leaders.. (etc) .. many opportunities in my opinion. :D

My girls are monitors in their classs this year and i like to think that they
have been given enough training time to be better students in general &
learn from the past monitors to be fair ones, if not better. :love:

The plus is they also try their darnest best to achieve better in their studies
to keep up the form, if ya know what i mean.. :evil: Win-win situation! :celebrate:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm

Personally, I feel that there is no harm talking to the teacher about it. I believed as a parent, we do things within our means to expose them and this is one of them. Nothing to feel shy/ embarrassed about. I would do it in the form of sharing with the teacher and if the teacher think it's do-able then give the child the chance.

It's good that kids are rotated in some school. In my kids' school, they don't. The same person holds the role for the entire year unless his performance is really bad and the teacher got to replace the child. The other bad part is that when they start the new year and kids harboring hopes of becoming a monitor, the teachers have tendancy to choose a student who was ex-monitor. So every year, they ended up feeling disappointed.

But this year, my P4 got lucky. When one of the monitor got "promoted" to prefect, her class teacher asked her to be monitress. It was like a dream come true for her. It's really interesting to see the kids behaviour when they hold such posts. Are they playing favoritism to their friends, will they be impartial? Do they dare to stand up to their friends and say they are too noisy, etc... So it's a good learning experience.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Flipper123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm

You need to know whether he wants to be a monitor? If not, you may be interfering with his social life :lol:

Flipper123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Class Monitor

Postby sakura_2009 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:31 pm

Since you understood from your DS that the school rotates the appointment of class monitors, then he too will have a chance to be appointed, isn't it? You can re-confirm with the teacher again during the PT meeting, and at the same time, check to see of there are other opportunities for your DS to be involved in activities that exposes him to some form of leadership skills. My DS is also the only child (similarly not much chance to mingle with cousins nor really have friends that he can hang out with). He has never been appointed as a prefect or class monitor before (I believed the teachers have their own set of criterias when selecting students for such positions) but he has been involved in other roles which gave him some form of 'leadership' training such as being the leader for some Maths program etc. Similarly, his classmates have also been given the same opportunities to be a 'leader' in some other projects. Do check with his form teacher on this during the meeting

sakura_2009
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby teh_oh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi,
Does your son wants to be a monitor?
My child does and we encouraged him to raise up his hands when teacher asked for volunteers to help out in class. He is vocal and offers his assistance to teachers as and when the need arises. We encourage him to help out his weaker friends too and he was appointed study buddy last two years to the weaker students (he even received Thank-you notes from his 'buddy'). When he lost out in his second term of monitoring job due to popularity vote (he lost by 2 votes), he took it in his stride and assist the appointed monitor in whichever way he can.
One does not need to be a monitor to hone leadership skill as he/she can start with being a good leader and offering help to classmates and teachers.
With his personality, my child is eventually appointed school prefect and he told me that his 'goal' is to continue to help his teachers and friends.

teh_oh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Class Monitor

Postby HappyFaye » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:23 pm

How old is your boy? If your boy is in lower primary, then I think there is no harm to approach the teacher for help.

My DD1 cried for 3 months during her K1 when she was new to the school because the form teacher was very fierce, even though she loved and wanted to go to school everyday. I approached the teacher about my concern and asked if she could be appointed as monitress (termly chosen) or model student (monthly chosen) but the teacher replied blunctly that they have criteria for choose model students or monitor. I was upset but no choice, just continued to send my crying DD everyday to school. Till one day I could not take it anymore and I went straight to the Principal. The principal talked to my DD1. The next day, miracally, my DD1 stopped crying and she was selected twice as model student the following month and a few months down the road. Her confidence has since improved and no more crying! I felt bad for not bringing the issue up to the principal early enough.

So if you think that will help your boy, go ahead! Explain to the teacher your concerns and as mentioned by others in this thread, there are many leadership roles in the class nowadays. I believe that a good teacher will be able to fit your boy in any leadership role.

However, if your boy is in upper primary, then you may have to discuss with him if he is ready to be a leader. it is true that there is criteria set for leadership quality in the upper primary. If he is forced to be a leader which he is not comfortable, his peers may gossip or question about his leadership. It will not do him good.

HTH!

HappyFaye
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child