How to teach a Pri 5 kid?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to teach a Pri 5 kid?

Postby Mum Lim » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Basically she is in Pri 5 this year. However her results are very poor. :cry:
When we ask her to do assessment books on her own. She get it all wrong. But when we sit down with her, she is able to get some of it correct. When either me or dh sit with her, when she don't know how to do. She will just stare at it.
I'm at a loss as to how to help her. Any parents with kids' whom failed and managed to get their kids to pass with flying colours in PSLE? Really appreciate if anyone can share their views. :pray:

Mum Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Mum Lim » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:06 am

I'm totally at a loss as to how to help her.
For a start, how should i help her?

Mum Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby wonderm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:47 am

Mum Lim wrote:I'm totally at a loss as to how to help her.
For a start, how should i help her?

You mentioned that she does not know how to do all the questions in assessment books, I think the first step is for you to explain to her how to do those questions. In the process, you will understand what are her weak areas and then you can teach her those concepts and get her to do the appropriate practices.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to teach a Pri 5 kid?

Postby tamarind » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Mum Lim wrote:Basically she is in Pri 5 this year. However her results are very poor. :cry:
When we ask her to do assessment books on her own. She get it all wrong. But when we sit down with her, she is able to get some of it correct. When either me or dh sit with her, when she don't know how to do. She will just stare at it.
I'm at a loss as to how to help her. Any parents with kids' whom failed and managed to get their kids to pass with flying colours in PSLE? Really appreciate if anyone can share their views. :pray:

What does she do when she is not studying ?

If she plays computer games or PSPs, I would advise you to remove all these totally. If she is watching many hours of TV a day, or talking on the handphone all day long, then remove all that. Remove anything that may distract her from her studies.

The main problem may be that her language skills are weak. Does she read books on her own ? If not, I suggest that you start a routine of asking her to read from good books to you, for at least 1 to 2 hours a day.
Language is the key to doing well in all subjects.

If you have to sit with her for a few hours a day to make sure that she is studying, then you have to do it. There are no other ways.

I have taught students like that before, they can only focus if an adult is sitting beside them. We cannot expect teachers to do that, so parents have to take up this responsibility. The child will be more independent once she has a good foundation in languages.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mum Lim » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 am

She watches tv when she's free. I'm a ftwm. Basically I do not have control over what she does in the afternoon. As she is taken care by her grandparents, and they watch tv basically the whole day.

The only time I have is when I reach home. Thats where all assessment books will come in. Both dh or me will sit with her to do corrections for those questions that are wrong. She is able to do most of it when we are around as we are guiding her.

She is slow in learning things, thats 1 of the major factor. As for reading, she need us to read with her too.

Any suggestions on how to teach a slow learner?

Mum Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 am

Mum Lim wrote:She watches tv when she's free. I'm a ftwm. Basically I do not have control over what she does in the afternoon. As she is taken care by her grandparents, and they watch tv basically the whole day.

The only time I have is when I reach home. Thats where all assessment books will come in. Both dh or me will sit with her to do corrections for those questions that are wrong. She is able to do most of it when we are around as we are guiding her.

Does your daughter have any naps? What time does she go to bed? Diff parents have diff ideas of bedtime. For my son in P5, I get him to take a nap in the afternoon so that we can revise later into the night (1030). I draw up a schedule what he has to do everyday after school. Since P1, I have been sitting beside him but he's not so dependent on my presence now.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mum Lim » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:46 am

She doesn't take naps. Her latest sleeping time is 10pm.

Mum Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sydney » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:31 am

Mum Lim wrote:She watches tv when she's free. I'm a ftwm. Basically I do not have control over what she does in the afternoon. As she is taken care by her grandparents, and they watch tv basically the whole day.

She is slow in learning things, thats 1 of the major factor. As for reading, she need us to read with her too.

I suppose you are refering to Math. Although I have a Master degree, My math knowledge was barely able to manage P4. These days the primary school Math is so different. Thus after I outsourced the teaching when my DS is in P5, I took the opportunity to learn from his learning centre trainer.

My DS is now in P6. He have the similar problem as your DD. But one thing I learn is that for Math, providing too much guide to the child is actually not good. To do well in Math, the child need to go through a thought process, figure out the steps, try to understand the solution etc without assistance. As a mother sitting beside him, its very frastrating and very tempting to just give him the solution and moved on to the next question. But I constantly tell myself to hold back.

Next time when you coach her, try this - instead of guiding her how to solve the Q, guide her to look for the solution. E.g. ask her questions that lead her to the next step rather than tell her what the next step is.

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mum Lim » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 am

not only mathematics bascially all her subjects. what we did is to keep on giving her to practise. but i feel her heart is not with us when we are going through with her. it gets depressing and irritating to see her daydreaming.

Mum Lim
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby BlueBells » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Have you considered enroling her in a student care if possible? Student cares are more structure - they have nap time, study time and play time with little or no television.

Might be worth considering given that the structure in place will help a long way since she will be P6 next year?

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child