Assessment books

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Assessment books

Postby Shoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I was at the popular book fair and saw the mind-blowing selection of assessment books. Have no faith in assessment books because some years ago, my then newly graduated cousin responded to an advertisement and this company offered her a job to write assessment books for like $800, I think? I mean, how reliable are these companies?

Soooo... my question is, which should be the assessment books that we should get. Does it mean that if it comes from a branded publisher, the book will be of a higher standard? What do you look out for when buying assessment books?

Shoe
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sall » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I normally buy assessment bks written by trs or ex-trs. The qualifications of the writer is printed. (Dip ed or cert ed)

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby wonderm » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:39 pm

I don't follow any particular publisher. Usually flip through the book and look at some questions and sometimes answers to see if it is suitable for my children. But still have bad buys as the initial checks were not thorough, only after my kids did the questions then I realized some questions or answers were not correct or not good.

wonderm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 am

wonderm wrote:I don't follow any particular publisher. Usually flip through the book and look at some questions and sometimes answers to see if it is suitable for my children. But still have bad buys as the initial checks were not thorough, only after my kids did the questions then I realized some questions or answers were not correct or not good.

Do take note of the bold.
That is why i dont like to buy all assessment books at the beginning of the year. Buy as the child progresses, assess and browse and buy. Feedback from other parents serve as a very good guide, but check what best fit the child.

And when there are bad buys - just leave it - dont make the child do it just for the sake of doing... Its not worth their time

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 am

sall wrote:I normally buy assessment bks written by trs or ex-trs. The qualifications of the writer is printed. (Dip ed or cert ed)

For certain subjects like Maths, I go for the reputable ones like Andrew Er as well as those highly recommended by parents and friends.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 am

Sun_2010 wrote: Feedback from other parents serve as a very good guide,

Janet_Lee88 is like the inhouse resident. :celebrate:

Thank you Janet for not only checking out so many books and most importantly sharing it in this forum.

I will have to go thru reco soon when DS starts needing them.
For Primary school , things are changing by the year, so what i used for DD may not be relevant .

So :thankyou:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am

Sun_2010 wrote:

Thank you Janet for not only checking out so many books and most importantly sharing it in this forum.

For Primary school , things are changing by the year, so what i used for DD may not be relevant .

Yes Janet... you are a veritable Fount of Tips when it comes to assessment books. Thank you... :udawoman:

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gregsng » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am

While one has to be selective with assessment books, there is still a need for them given that more exposure and practice are still necessary for a child to learn & strengthen the skills of a particular subject. That said, parents need to be somewhat involved and understand the areas of weaknesses of your child. Most of us don't have the time to prepare exercises...hence the need for assessment books. But then, we should not overload our children by forcing them to complete all the assessments, as focus should only be on topics where they are weak and require additional practice to understand the concepts better.

gregsng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby janet88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 am

Sun_2010 wrote:

No lah...don't call me inhouse resident :oops: ...just sharing my thoughts and experience using different assessment books.
Agree with what you mentioned about ever-changing syllabus. What I bought for son when he was in lower primary doesn't seem to be applicable to my gal who's in P1.

The one inhouse resident is plum-cake. She has provided me with tips on different publishers and what to look out for.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child