Timetable for kids??? When is it most appropriate??..

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

When is do you set timetable for your kids??

3yrs & below
21%
3-4yrs
No votes
4-5yrs
16%
5-6yrs
63%

Total votes : 19

Timetable for kids??? When is it most appropriate??..

Postby e3nity » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Parents..

I understand some parents do set time tables for their kids.. My mom did that with me when i'm young.. 8) As a mom now.. i'm wondering if DS is ready to follow the timetable.. :idea: Thou its a must next year.. :|

So how do you set timetable for your kids?? what is the intervals? any guidelines to follow?

Appreciate parents to share tips.. :pray:

Regards

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Vevey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 pm

DS1 finds it useful to hv a routine so we hv a time-table since K2. Less frustration for me too.
Timing depends on each task's duration & filled the in-between w some play/rest time. Monitor & tweak it after a week. After awhile, it will b auto-pilot. Now that DS1 is in P2, I don't really need to spell out a time-table as he knows when he shld b doing his major tasks +/-.

These days, 3.5yo DS2 is the 1 setting his own time-table & pushes me to give his lunch at home (no eating out!) after sch, bathe him quickly so that he can settle down to watch his favourite tv show b4 nap. :oops:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby e3nity » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Vevey wrote:DS1 finds it useful to hv a routine so we hv a time-table since K2. Less frustration for me too.
Timing depends on each task's duration & filled the in-between w some play/rest time. Monitor & tweak it after a week. After awhile, it will b auto-pilot. Now that DS1 is in P2, I don't really need to spell out a time-table as he knows when he shld b doing his major tasks +/-.

These days, 3.5yo DS2 is the 1 setting his own time-table & pushes me to give his lunch at home (no eating out!) after sch, bathe him quickly so that he can settle down to watch his favourite tv show b4 nap. :oops:

Hi Vevey,

That is my initial idea.. i wanted DS to start with a time table 1st den eventually be auto when it come to doing his work.. Guess ur DS2 got some positive influence from his brother.. haha.. which is really good :lol: ..

Care to share your weekend program for ur DS?? do you make them study alot over the weekend??? :?

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Vevey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:06 pm

e3nity wrote:Hi Vevey,

That is my initial idea.. i wanted DS to start with a time table 1st den eventually be auto when it come to doing his work.. Guess ur DS2 got some positive influence from his brother.. haha.. which is really good :lol: ..

Care to share your weekend program for ur DS?? do you make them study alot over the weekend??? :?

I don't buy assessment bks so DS1 only needs to finish his sch homework over weekends. DS2 is 3.5yo so he just plays day in day out. :wink:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby IJJ » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Mine works well with schedule. W/o one, eveything can go haywire for her. I started very early. Maybe like when she was 2 or 3. Started with very simple ones, with pictures and only few activities. We plan a day ahead together. We used the 3M A3 sticky pad on the wall, the pad was segregated into 7 days. I made tags with pictures like ballerina, books, TV, car (outing), church etc and stick relevant tags on the 'next day' column. As she progresses, more items, more columns (time/duration, priority etc) are added. We always try to make it as simplified as possible.

Now, at P4, she plans her daily timetable/schedule to factor in the school works, piano practises as well as extra work from me. She can do it quite independently since we started her early. It does optimise the use of time. :wink:

IJJ
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I find the idea of a time-table aka schedule useful...it is systematic and child knows what to do. Planned a schedule before older child went to P1 (afternoon session)...still it was disastrous every morn getting him to sit down to revise. Slowly, he got used to follow a schedule.

However, when there is CA or SA, there is a separate schedule as revision is more intense...so he will look at the revision time-table instead. Unable to teach my son how to plan his CA/SA time-table as it's time-consuming. Maybe next year when he goes to P6, I'll slowly guide him, then he will realize how crucial time is.
The one planning time-table will usually be kancheong esp when time is so tight...and don't know where to fit in this topic/subject.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:58 pm

My dd ignores her timetable. After a while, I gave up trying to ask her to stick to one.... so I discard that timetable.

Now, I have a general weekly guide instead. Eg. learn spelling or tingxie if there's one that week, revise worksheets if there's test that week, and target to write 1 essay each week, so on & so forth. Everyday I will tell her what's her deliverable for that day, after factoring in the amount of school assigned homework she has that day

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 am

Vevey wrote:I don't buy assessment bks so DS1 only needs to finish his sch homework over weekends. DS2 is 3.5yo so he just plays day in day out. :wink:

Vevey that is when yr DS1 is P1.. How about when yr DS1 is K2? Do you have a timetable/schedule for learning??

insider wrote:I would term it as a 'routine' or a 'schedule' than a timetable.............................. Above applies to children of 'regular' temperament.

Insider your kids are reali wonderful to be able to stick with routine.. you reali did a good job :salute: :salute: ..

My DS noes he has a schedule to follow but tries to bargain everyday.. Thats y i thought its better to have a standard agreement on the wall to state the duration for everything.. i believe he is not the regular ones.. he is 'cunning' he tries his luck all the time.. :stupid: Till now i still can't adjust his slping time.. he will only slp when he is too tired.. :cry:

IJJ wrote:Mine works well with schedule. W/o one, eveything can go haywire for her..... It does optimise the use of time.

IJJ, how do you do the daily timetable when she still can't read time? Do you have a picture of the timetable u made for her?? i got to start working on one once i know where to start.. :oops:

janet_lee88 wrote:I find the idea of a time-table aka schedule useful.....................and don't know where to fit in this topic/subject.

Janet_lee88, care to share some tips in setting a time table for kids? :pray: How did you manage to get ur DS faithfully follow the schedule? So when it comes to CA or SA are you the one setting the timetable or did ur DS do it himself??

sleepy wrote:
My dd ignores her timetable. After a while, I gave up trying to ask her to stick to one.... so I discard that timetable.........
the amount of school assigned homework she has that day.

Sleepy, wah every day got to remind.. :udawoman: i guess i will give up if DS need me to remind him non-stop.. monitoring spelling ting xie n homeworks are driving me crazy apart my part time studies..

However, do please share your weekly guide and tips in setting it.. perhaps its a better option for inconsistent mommy lke me.. :oops: Weekly program always change.. :clubmyself:

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:44 am

Hi e3nity,
I set schedule the moment from the time he returns home from school and also those days which he has suppl lessons...very demanding but with time is so tigh,t I just can't afford.

For eg on days when he has no suppl lessons, 145pm Bathe/2pm Lunch/245pm Homework/345pm Nap.
He needs some time to unwind on the bed before knock-out. These days, we have been revising much later into the night since he's very tired after school.
I plan CA/SA still...bcos have to dig out all his books and look at daily schedule to see how to slot in diff topics/subjects. Dare not let him plan.
My son is more willing to listen as compared to younger daughter. He bargains and complains when he has to do more work during SA revision but will still do.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby e3nity » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:15 am

janet_lee88 wrote:Hi e3nity,
I set schedule the moment from the time he returns home from school and also those days which he has suppl lessons...very demanding but with time is so tigh,t I just can't afford..................................................... He bargains and complains when he has to do more work during SA revision but will still do.

Hi Janet_lee88, ur DS very guai.. i should say.. DS is in Childcare whole day.. So basically on weekdays he will be home earliest by 7.30pm.. aft bath and makan.. it will be about 8++ going to 9pm.. He will watch his cartoons till 9.30pm before he starts his spelling or ting xie.. Bed time can be as late as 11.45pm.. haiz :stupid: seriously don't know how to adjust his timing.. I can only do revision and assessment with him on Sunday.. I'm wondering if 1hr for english and science den 30minutes break followed by another 1hr for maths and chinese too long for K2? He is making a big fuss everytime we have 'tuition'.

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child