Pencil Holding

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pencil Holding

Postby Blur Blur Mummy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 am

Hi,

Anyone out there who can advise me on how to train my son (4 years - N2) to hold the pencil correctly before he is able to write?

I been teaching/guiding him to hold the pencil correctly since last 2 months (30 mins of practising per day) but...... This morning, his teacher also told me that he can't hold the pencil porperly when writing on the dotted line provided.

Please help!!

Thank you :)

Blur Blur Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MoonFlower » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 am

At 4, children still not able to hold pencil very well. You still need those thick fat pencil, you can get from Popular, trainer pencil (*thick fat triangular to help the grip about $1.20 each). Don't get those click on pencil type (*japanese)cos in long run yr child will rely on it. Just to share making your child to work on his grip 30 mins is pretty long and tiring for his age, you may "stress" him and he will reject his interest to writing. :D Hope it helps.

MoonFlower
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Blur Blur Mummy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:54 am

Hi MoonFlower,

Thanks for your reply.

Already got one fat, thick pencil for him from Popular, but seems not working very well. Haiz.....

Also, teacher informed that he has short attention in class, very busy walking here n there. The teacher gotta be harsh to get him to sit down n listen. But I can see/tell that he did absorb her teaching cos when he came home he can sing/tell me wat he have learnt today. Dunno whether this is consider good or bad?? :roll:

Hopefully things dun get worsen!! :pray:

Blur Blur Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby e3nity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

Blur Blur Mummy wrote:Hi MoonFlower,

Thanks for your reply.

Already got one fat, thick pencil for him from Popular, but seems not working very well. Haiz.....

Also, teacher informed that he has short attention in class, very busy walking here n there. The teacher gotta be harsh to get him to sit down n listen. But I can see/tell that he did absorb her teaching cos when he came home he can sing/tell me wat he have learnt today. Dunno whether this is consider good or bad?? :roll:

I think its pretty common that SONS especially to have short attention span and walks around.. So don't worry..

Don't force your DS to write too much as we won't wana see the rejection effect on him. Take your time! Each child development is different.. Give him more time to master pencil holding..

e3nity
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Blur Blur Mummy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi e3nity,

Thanks for your advice too :)

Will take note!

Blur Blur Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Blur Blur mummy,

Your problem sounds exactly the same as what I have been facing with my DS. He can't hold his pencil properly and also complain of hand aching practicing his alphabets, and even colouring a picture. Maybe, you should shorten the practice time to 15 mins if he has short concentration, than slowly increase the time when he gets better.

I got him the Fat pencils, those with Cartoons from Popular, he loved them so much and has been using them since even till now. He is already in P1. He still does not like to colour big pictures with colour pencils but small ones. We have to encourage him. Let him know that you understand that it is tough, even though we knew its not so tough. Empathise with them, share the same feeling as they feel, that it is painful to write holding a pencil properly. They will appreciate that we are here to help them. Demonstrate how you hold a pencil.

We have to be positive when we teach our children. Think positive and results will be positive.

Ivy

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Blur Blur Mummy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 am

Hi Ivy,

Thanks for sharing :)

Blur Blur Mummy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby buds » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Heyya Blur Blur Mummy.. don't stress yourself out with the actual act of it. :wink:

You can steer away from the actual holding and working with the pencil &
work with other fun stuff with him instead to encourage proper pencil grip,
which in Montessori we call the pincer grip. :wink:

You may want to read this article i shared with other parents some time back.
> buds' blogs

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:35 pm

e3nity wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I think its pretty common that SONS especially to have short attention span and walks around.. So don't worry..

Don't force your DS to write too much as we won't wana see the rejection effect on him. Take your time! Each child development is different.. Give him more time to master pencil holding..

My child is made to do coloring almost every day in school last time before age of 2 years old...

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kudozapex » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for your reply.

Good morning concerned mummy,

There is a range of exercises that you can do to help improve his grip on the pencil. Try looking on google or youtube, you should be able to find them.

Your child's short attention span: From your observation of him repeating the things he had learnt in school... you should be rejoycing! It probably meant that he has absorbed whatever the teacher was teaching and felt that the class was boring. Ive taught children from 0 - 6 and we all know that kids express what they really feel, if they like u they like u, if not they'll run a hundred miles from u :D do continue to encourage him and expose him to as many things as possible. Learning is easy when learning is fun.

Great week ahead, Cheers

Kudozapex
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child