Playing with stationeries in class

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Playing with stationeries in class

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi all,

It is common for children who are having lessons to play with their stationeries. If your child plays with his/her stationeries in class and has been confiscated, and they still continue to do so, can you share your experiences here how to educate your child that it is not right. Confiscating does not work, what approach did or will you use? :idea:

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

dunno abt the kids...but I used to when I was a kid :oops: ....I thought very normal?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:22 pm

DS1 used to do that during P1. He used his erasers etc, as lego figurine and play it after he finished his work. At times, he even hid under his desk and play. I only know about this during 1st PTC meeting.

I think DS1 did it cause he's bored after doing his work and create his own imaginery play. I requested the teacher to allow him to do drawing or help his friend. Of course, I did tell him that it is not the right thing to do and gave him these options with Teacher's permission.

Hope this helps.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I think it's mostly boys who play with stationery during class...my boly used to come home with missing spring and other parts

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 pm

My kids said a couple of their classmates like to eat paper or suck pencils :!:

I guess playing with stationery is fine comparatively

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:05 pm

I had the same complaint from the P1 n P2 teachers. In the end, my boy could only bring the most basic stationery to sch. He has not outgrown the habit :oops: , frequency lesser only.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the response. Ya, maybe my son was bored during lessons too :P

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dotti » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm

I have the same problem too. All his teachers in kindy and enrichment class told me about it. Now that he is in P1, i buy the most plain and simple stationary for him. However, he will still draw on white, plain eraser or try to put a pencil through it.

dotti
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Ivy Ang Siow Kia » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 am

heyhoe wrote:DS1 used to do that during P1. He used his erasers etc, as lego figurine and play it after he finished his work. At times, he even hid under his desk and play. I only know about this during 1st PTC meeting.

I think DS1 did it cause he's bored after doing his work and create his own imaginery play. I requested the teacher to allow him to do drawing or help his friend. Of course, I did tell him that it is not the right thing to do and gave him these options with Teacher's permission.

Hope this helps.

Hi Heyhoe,

Your DS1 school teacher must be really understanding.... I thought it is normal for kids to play with stationeries too and many kids do that. I even did that until I was in Tertiary education. I like to peal my erasers into small pieces... :cheeky: and I never got caught... :lol:

Inorder for the teacher to be understanding, they must know the reason why a child does that. Confiscating can't always solve the problem...my DS won't buy that, he must be thinking the more you confiscate, the more I'll do it. Mummy will buy new ones for me...haize!! really headache :slapshead:

Ivy

Ivy Ang Siow Kia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Vevey » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:16 am

Ivy Ang Siow Kia wrote:
heyhoe wrote:DS1 used to do that during P1. He used his erasers etc, as lego figurine and play it after he finished his work. At times, he even hid under his desk and play. I only know about this during 1st PTC meeting.

Hope this helps.

Hi Heyhoe,

Your DS1 school teacher must be really understanding.... I thought it is normal for kids to play with stationeries too and many kids do that. I even did that until I was in Tertiary education. I like to peal my erasers into small pieces... :cheeky: and I never got caught... :lol:

Inorder for the teacher to be understanding, they must know the reason why a child does that. Confiscating can't always solve the problem...my DS won't buy that, he must be thinking the more you confiscate, the more I'll do it. Mummy will buy new ones for me...haize!! really headache :slapshead:

Ivy

Don't buy anymore 4 him or deduct his pocket $ for the new (but plain) stationery? :lol:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child