Important non-academic lessons: What to teach and when

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Important non-academic lessons: What to teach and when

Postby daddybear » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:33 pm

I have been reading a book by Charlie Munger, better known as Buffet's partner and thoroughly enjoy his witty quips. One of the topics he touched on was how everyone before graduation, should take a compulsory module on the realities of life. I so agree...

To get a good spouse, the best way is to be one yourself since a good spouse by definition, is not stupid ~ Charlie Munger
Spend less than you make; always be saving something. Put it into a tax-deferred account. Over time, it will begin to amount to something. This is such a no-brainer. ~ Charlie Munger

Problem is that there are a number of lessons in life that are a bit too adult unless they reach a certain age. Also making the assumption by late teens, they dun want us us to nag and bother them anymore, the kiasu parent should start categorising key worldly lessons to impart.

Let me start the ball rolling:

Kindergarten:
-Everyone is born the same but our habits make us different. Therefore must have good habits (taken straight from SanZiJing)

Primary

Secondary

daddybear
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Important non-academic lessons: What to teach and when

Postby doterraMom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
-《LaoZi》

授人以鱼不如授人以渔 --出处《老子

doterraMom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am

I find this piece of advice to be useful and will pass on to all young men...

To know what kind of woman you are going to marry... just look at your girlfriend's mother.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BlurBee » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 pm

How abt:

To marry a man, u must check whether he is filial to his parents.

:lol:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Working With Your Child