How to improve english for 5 years old kid

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to improve english for 5 years old kid

Postby wendy2006 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:52 am

Time to worry for me. I do not know how to guide my child's education.

wendy2006
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: How to improve english for 5 years old kid

Postby tamarind » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am

wendy2006 wrote:Time to worry for me. I do not know how to guide my child's education.

Hi,
You can start by reading my blog :wink:
http://tamarindphonics.blogspot.com/200 ... onics.html

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby samuelarnold » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 pm

You could hang up a board and have the kids post a new word everyday. Talk about these words, what they mean, put into sentences. Talk about them over breakfast or dinner. You can turn it into a game (who can name a synonym for.... antonym.... who can make the longest sentence using....). Keep it light and fun.

samuelarnold
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 am

If you don't know how to, or don't have the time to guide your kid's education, then don't worry about how others perceive you as a mom.

Pay external parties to do the job. There are so many enrichment centres around.

Not every mom must do the education of her kids by herself. And believe me, educating your own kids can cause high blood pressure.

Leave the education to the experts if I were you. Your job is to provide for them. "Provide" means to make those avenues available to them. Nobody said you have to do everything by yourself.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 am

Teaching kids at home can be a very fun and enjoyable experience, if you don't even give yourself a chance, then you are denying your kids the best learning experience in the world. Kids can learn so much more at home, no enrichment classes can guarantee the same thing. In fact, my kids enjoy learning at home so much, they refuse to attend any enrichment classes which they think are boring. Teaching pre-school kids is actually very easy. Remember, if you want your kids to learn, then you must set a good example for them, and you must be constantly learning too. :wink: In fact, if you have good resources, then teaching at home is very easy, just spend 15 to 30 mins a day will do.

Most importantly, kids learn best when given one to one attention. Even if you send them to the most expensive enrichment classes, it is always 1 teacher to many kids. Many kids cannot do well even if they attend many enrichment classes. Also, not all teachers in enrichment classes are good. Note that these so-called experts may have just learned how to teach for a few months only, or worst, some may even be learning on the job.

Besides spending so much money, you also need to spend a lot of time and effort sending your kids to and from the enrichment classes.

Of course, if you are the type who gets angry very easily and tend to scream at your kids every time you teach them, then I do not advise you to teach at home. However, note that spending a few hundred dollars a month to send to enrichment classes does not mean that you can totally do nothing at home. You still have to make sure that your kids revise the lessons everyday, that means you still have to teach at home. Some enrichment classes require kids to do tons of homework at home, and you may have to scream at your kids to complete those homework. If you do nothing at home, attending enrichment classes will be useless.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 am

I agreed with what Tamarind's experiences. It is actually fun & enjoyable and of course at times can be quite :frustrated:

When I was young, I used to envy my brother who was taught by my mum. I used to wish my mum does that for me but...... I saw what my brother's beautiful learning curve and to this this date I personally still stand by it. So now I am teaching my boys English, Chinese, Maths, piano and roller blading.

I always believe that once you taught your own child, at least you kno what is the child's capability. And hence do not unnecessarily set too high an expectation.

Learning with your child is the most beautiful bonding. You will feel the sense of the achivement.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to improve english for 5 years old kid

Postby laughingcat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 am

wendy2006 wrote:Time to worry for me. I do not know how to guide my child's education.

Hi wendy2006, your child just need to read alot of books. No amount of textbook study and assessment books will help much in the english synthesis or grammar.

Only through reading loads of good english books will help. Applying what you read through writing will helps much. Language is not like hardcore subject such as Science and Technology, it just come naturally if you apply it effectively.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi laughingcat,
Wow you are teaching your boys piano ? I really envy you. I wish I can do that too, but I never learned piano :(

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby laughingcat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:12 pm

tamarind wrote:Hi laughingcat,
Wow you are teaching your boys piano ? I really envy you. I wish I can do that too, but I never learned piano :(

Actually quite easy lah. Get the books by the author of Lina Ng and then can learn together with your kids.

But if my boy wants to sit for the graded exam, I think I would leave it to the teacher bah. But I will still teach on a daily basis. :D

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 pm

laughingcat wrote:
tamarind wrote:Hi laughingcat,

Actually quite easy lah. Get the books by the author of Lina Ng and then can learn together with your kids.

But if my boy wants to sit for the graded exam, I think I would leave it to the teacher bah. But I will still teach on a daily basis. :D

That's a very good idea :D I always want to learn piano myself :wink:

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child