How to best manage time teaching >2 kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to best manage time teaching >2 kids?

Postby berriestan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:59 am

Hi,

Would like to get some tips/ ideas on how to best manage time teaching the kids. I'm a FTWM and no matter how hard I try not working late, I still find it a struggle :( After the logistics of travelling to/fro and by the time we settle down back home it's 8+/ 9pm :(

I only get to spend 30/ 45mins with my 1YO (while my 3.5YO bumps around or watches tv). After 1YO goes to bed, I get to spend another 30/ 45mins with my 3.5YO. As they have different needs, I cant do the same activity for both at the same time except reading story books. Hubby is not the hands on type, so I cant rely much on him

The best I could do is to get my 3.5YO on the PC for educational games while I teach my 1YO. Or free play for 1YO while I teach 3.5YO. Do you face a similar issue/ problem?

berriestan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Imp75 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 am

hi

I hv the same issue as you, I got a 4.5yr gal + 2 2.5 yr gals. After I came home from work after dinner etc, it's usually 830pm and then the girls need to be tucked to bed at 930pm.

In that one hour, I really can't do much. I am currently focusing more on my first girl as she is in K1 and I really wanted to make sure she's ready for P1.

For my twins, I don't really have time to supervise, I think they are still young and am leaving them to grow and develop holistically in their playgroups. I think refining their motor skills and picking up the right values and social skills are more impt in this stage

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby EatNonStop » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 am

Haiz...we are in the same boat! I am FTWM with a 4.5yr old gal and 20 mths boy...also trying to find out from other mummies how they manage their time with their kids.....Opening eyes big to watch out which mummy can give us tips / advises. :shock:

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Addoil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi.. I am also the one looking for solution.................. :wink:

Now I am doing the same way like berriestan, we sure will put more attention on the elder one, When I teach my elder one, the little one will leave him play his favourite computer games, Clifford Phonic, later both of them take turn. Can the kids play the computer games for 45min? is it too long??? I am worry about it.

Hi Imp75 & EatNonStop

Is father manage to help?

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm a SAHM, but even me also find that I do not have enough time to spend teaching my 4 YO.

Early in the morning, I've to get breakfast ready for them and pack lunch, and after breakfast, the 4 YO will play for a while before going to school. that left me with bb right? but I've so many things to do, eg., laundry, mop floor, cleaning, cooking, go grocery shopping, make the bb naps (which can be quite difficult cos he takes quite a while to nap).

by the time I finish with all these, have to go and fetch the 4 YO from schoolbus.

and then after that, gotta prepare dinner. in between, I read to him or let him play if he doesn't want to nap.

What i think is that, time management is very important. Something which I have no time to think and plan. You may want to ask Tamarind for some advise as I think she is doing a very good job in teaching her kids after work.:)
Last edited by smurf on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Picolo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Aiyoh ladies, wait till your kids hit pri. schools, then you'll realise your current situation is 'own time own target'. When the kids are in pri. schools, you'll need extra time to administer the correspondences with the teachers, check their school work, help them prepare resources for projects/games/etc, go thru homework, coach them on their weak areas, prepare for CA1, SA1, CA2, SA2.... 'time no enough'. :cry:

Picolo
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby EatNonStop » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Addoil, daddy does help abit but kids always look for the mummy :cry:
The problem is, both my kids wanted to do the same thing at the same time...if I spend time doing activities books with my gal, my boy also want to get involve which make it very difficult to concentrate on teaching and guiding my gal.
By the time I am done showering them, feeding them dinner and settle down, it is almost 8.30pm liao. That left me an hour to play with them before taking my boy to sleep at 9.30pm. By 10pm, read some books to my gal and get her to sleep at 1030pm.
This is my everyday (Wkdays) routine....

Picolo, I cannot imagine when my gal reaches P1!!!!

Tamarind Help help.....Mummies here need your advises.[/img]

EatNonStop
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Addoil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi hii .. Tamarind, where are u now???? :?: :wink:

Time really no enough for all the ppl, while we are busy on doing something, by the time finish, wah lao... what is the time liao... :cry:
it seem like spend a lot of time to do only a bit of things...

Smurt, agree, time management is the only way to solve our problem no matter is working or not working mother.

Picolo.. then how are you going to manage your time now? Are u FTWM or SAHM?

Eatnonstop, mummy always is the first choice of the children, my situation also the same.

Addoil
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sashimi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:45 pm

I've mentioned my opinion on this on KSP before: the root of the problem is our work culture. OT culture notwithstanding, I've realized that the issue is exactly the fact that 6pm+++++ is the norm in society for workers to knock off.

(Following scenario assumes both FTW parents, 50 mins travel time from office to home).

Think about it: this is crazy. This means that, as many can see, many people spend the hours between 6-7.30pm++ just travelling home and/or running personal errands. For parents, add picking up kids.

Think about it: we grew up being told that this time slot = dinnertime. Health nuts tell us you must have dinner before 8pm. How is this possible when we knock off from office at 6pm+? And people used to talk about cooking at home, now I don't hear of it anymore cos the truth has sunk in - where got time? And as parents do you want to have your kids having dinner at 8pm?

And 6pm is just for people like me who refuse to OT! Think about all the nutcases out there who OT well past 7pm, 8pm, 10pm!

No matter what corporate trainers tell you about "work-life balance", the implicit message in society is that the longer you work, the better an employee you are. No number of articles written about productive efficiency and time management is going to change that. We are a stupid people who measure work done by the time you clock-in and clock-out at office.

I say to all you workaholics - get a life. Don't spoil the market for those of us who actually have a family and CHILDREN.

We live in a society where we have to hold an annual "Eat With Your Family Day" campaign! Hilarious!

Anyway, to cut a long story short - I gave up trying to "time manage". You cannot manage time when there is effectively no time. My general rule of thumb is, do things fast, but give chance to enjoy life after kids do their homework. Once in a while, being late for things is ok. It's not worth it to generate a lifetime's frustration just because every day we are chasing 15 mins that never existed.

Still, my DD is only P1. I shake my head at the other thread involving sec kids. I will persist as far as I can.

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tamarind » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi all,
Sorry I was not reading this thread :oops:

I am a FTWM with 2 kids. My girl will be 6 years old this year, and my boy will be 5 years old.

I am fortunate because my mother stays with me, and I have a good maid to help out. I don't have to do any housework when I return home. I usually reach home at about 7 to 8pm, and my kids are in bed by 9 pm because they are in the morning session this year. After the kids are asleep, I sleep at 10 pm, and wake up as early as 4:30am in the morning because I only need 6 hours of sleep. Then I work from my computer, update my blogs or chat in forums :)

I only teach each child about 15 minutes a day. I think the most important thing is to use the right method, and be consistent. I teach them every day, even on sundays and public holidays. If you can spare at least 15 minutes for each child, then it is good enough. You just have to start earlier. I think 3 years old is the best age to start to learn to read for most kids. I believe that some kids can start from as young as 18 months old.

Reading very well in English is most important. Both my kids are able to complete their kindergarten homework independently, which includes English, Science and Maths. I don't have time to teach them Chinese, so I send them to Berries class on Saturdays. But I make sure that they revise their Berries materials everyday, which takes less than 5 minutes. During the weekends, I teach them to recite tang shi, as well as extra maths enrichment from mommy :wink:
Last edited by tamarind on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child