P1 Punishment

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

P1 Punishment

Postby bellerina » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Any advice? I got a friend with a P1 boy goes around pinching his classmates today. Then, his TR asked the whole class to queue & pinch his back. The reason is to make him feel the pain he did to others. But the poor boy got blue-black & nail marks on his both arms. He cried for a long time in class. My friend & the TR both knows that he got behavior problem. But is this the right way to punish him???

bellerina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby joyfulsally » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 pm

I seriously do not agree with the teacher's method of "punishing" the boy. It's like tit for tat. Really, schools should not condone such modes of "punishment". If my boy did something wrong, I'd like the teacher to inform me. Whatever the teacher has done, I hope he/she has managed the class well. Otherwise, there will be lots of chaos in time to come. :siao:

joyfulsally
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby smurf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Does it happen several times already or just this time only? If he keeps doing this, I dun see anything wrong with the way the teacher handles the situation. If its just this time round, then the punishment may be too much. A warning is sufficient.

The child has to learn that it is wrong to do that to other people. Words dun work if the parents dun care at all or simply just acknowledge the problem.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Yikes! I think it's inappropriate on so many levels. From the perspective of a parent of the other children, my biggest objection would be that the teacher got the class of young children to physically hurt someone else, when the lesson the kids should be learning is that it is not right for them to hurt others.

Like other parents, i teach my children 'no hitting', 'no pushing', 'no pinching' etc. I would be very upset if my child's teacher contradicts me on that. If my kids were told by their teacher to pinch their classmate, I sure hope they would decline.

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby BeContented » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:48 pm

smurf wrote:Does it happen several times already or just this time only? If he keeps doing this, I dun see anything wrong with the way the teacher handles the situation. If its just this time round, then the punishment may be too much. A warning is sufficient.

The child has to learn that it is wrong to do that to other people. Words dun work if the parents dun care at all or simply just acknowledge the problem.

Whole class to do it? Still acceptable to me if only the kids involved, definitely not the whole class.

BeContented
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 pm

No lah, just the involved kids. Whatever punishment, the child has to learn his lesson. No use talk and talk and the child dun listen at all. Something has to be done.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rong05 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 pm

IMHO, i feel this is not right. Regardless of age, this punishment is not right. Though i understand 'do not do onto others what you do not want others to do onto u'... This is ridiculous esp to the extend that the boy has blue black and nail marks. No physical / corporal punishment is allowed unless the child has commited a really serious offence. Especially to a P1 child, it is strictly no no.

I think your friend should speak to the teacher & principal.

rong05
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I disagree to the way it was done. It is not good to use children to go against children nor allow a group to execute a punishment on a child as they lack the maturity to understand what is going on. The punished child not only suffered the physical pain but ran the risk of being ostracised after this humiliating punishment executed by the classmates.

He should be punished and the need to punish him could be made known to the class as a learning point. However, how to punish him should be something the teacher can discuss with the parents and carried out appropriately without scarring the child for prolong period. Even getting the parent to pinch him to experience the pain is better than getting the children.

A teacher who garners a group of kids' support to punish another child is a teacher bully. As an adult, with so much authority over a child, doing that shows how immature the teacher is herself/himself.

Re: P1 Punishment

Postby buds » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 pm

bellerina wrote:Any advice? I got a friend with a P1 boy goes around pinching his classmates today.

What did your friend have to say about this behaviour?

What advice did you offer after he/she shared this incident with you?

bellerina wrote:Then, his TR asked the whole class to queue & pinch his back. The reason is to make him feel the pain he did to others.

Is is a habit of this child going round pinching others?

Did your friend agree to this punishment given by the teacher?

What kind of punishment your friend had in mind? How is the child
usually punished at home?

bellerina wrote:But the poor boy got blue-black & nail marks on his both arms. He cried for a long time in class.

How about the poor children who have been the brunt of his pinching then?
In my opinion, they are poor things as well. I also question how there was
no staff present during this pinching spree on everyone in class..

bellerina wrote: My friend & the TR both knows that he got behavior problem. But is this the right way to punish him???

Punishments are subjective to every individual... whose to say whose
way is the right way.. perhaps a handful may think punishment isn't
even considered a way.. :|

My apologies. Can't think of constructive reply perhaps, unless there are
details of the child, his usual behaviour, is it a habit, is he an only child, the parent's disciplinary methods so far.. and more details of how and
why the pinching spree occured in the first place.. (etc)

As for punishment, i just have to say.. that there are parents who will
never punish their children no matter how rude or ill-behaved they
are and it disturbs me.. i've experienced personally how a parent
just sweet talk her boy when he spat at my teachers' faces..

Just lulling sweet talk.. and you won't believe there was not
even an apology. Disturbing... really.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: P1 Punishment

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 pm

buds wrote:As for punishment, i just have to say.. that there are parents who will
never punish their children no matter how rude or ill-behaved they
are and it disturbs me.. i've experienced personally how a parent
just sweet talk her boy when he spat at my teachers' faces..

Just lulling sweet talk.. and you won't believe there was not
even an apology. Disturbing... really.

This is a case of the other extreme. Parents who behave this way is indeed disturbing.

Next

Return to Working With Your Child