Lose marks through carelessness!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Lose marks through carelessness!

Postby Yong HL » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi all

How do you deal with carelessness of your kids? How to improve their focus and minimise carelessness?

My girl brought back her tests yesterday. I blew my top! She dont know the questions, i am ok. But she loses marks due to her carelessness! Omit a word from the passage when the word is there, assume the questions without reading to the end and count wrongly! :x I was angry (and still am). I have been reminding her must check her work everytime and how important the marks are but she just comes back to square one.

I need help :?:

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Lose marks through carelessness!

Postby Vevey » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:40 pm

We live in a "fine" city & I'm a "fine" mother :roll: , so I fine DS1 10 cts (10% of his daily allowance)per careless mistake in all his homework & tests when he was in P1 last yr. His highest record was 80cts in a single nite that I had to let him pay by instalments. :lol: I was actually v heart-pained 4 him but no choice, had to carry through. :wink:

Always explain to him that the objective is so that he remembers to check in school, as we r not ard to remind him. So the fines act as reminders, & hopefully, he will form the good habit of checking his work.

Things improved alot (no careless mistakes on most months) even tho he is v sotong by nature.
However, after the dec hols, he forgotten the pinch & 10cts is longer "painful" enough, as he starts having savings too. Numerous careless mistakes surfaced again within the 1st few weeks! :x
So I increased his fine to $1 per careless mistake. :!: After a few weeks of fines (his record this yr is $4 in a night!), things r ok now. No fine for the past 2 mths. :wink:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Yong HL » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Vevey. Thats a great idea i thought. I think i will adopt :)

Yong HL
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:21 pm

The other day I was on the bus and overhead a Nanyang Girls' High student: The Maths test is so stupid, everyone could get 100 if not for careless mistakes.

My elder boy tries his best not to commit careless mistakes, claimed he had no control over carelessness. Now he is in sec sch, his rate of carelessness has decreased significantly. Think he is more careful now becos he wants to maintain high std of his own work.

My P4 boy still needs to be threatened with cane. I look forward to the day he can be more auto in checking his work. Am seeing some changes in him- showed me today his sch EL compreh which has only 2 marks deducted. The recent MA mock papers has 2 qn not done, 1 qn really dunno.

So my conclusion: it takes some time for some children to 1) learn how to do a proper check and 2) instil pride in own work so that carelessness is minimized.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:58 am

wah! Using cane for careless mistakes!! :shock:

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:40 am

for me, i will have a nice talk with the child

look, you know the stuff, right ?

yes

is it fair that you lose the mark ?

no

so it does not reflect your ability, right ?

no it does not

so what are you going to do about it ?

be more careful

how are you going to be more careful ?

check and check and write carefully, transfer the number carefully and check

kids do take pride in their work, so i psycho them lah. it works for me/my kids

however, in work place, I fine them $10 for every one data entry mistake
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:41 am

Think we touched on this topic in another thread.

DD too is prone to carelessness. She can throw away 10 pts just because of carelessness. I had to remind her to check the question numbering, if this page ends with question number 5 then the next page should start with question number 6. Had to do that because she missed out a whole page of questions before. This year she has been pretty ok so far.

She has a couldn't care less kind of attitude and will say, not that I don't know how to do what, just that I did not read the numbers correctly or copied the words wrongly. And DH had to echo that thought, saying she knows the answer right so it is basically carelessness so ok lah. For me that is a big NOT OK. To lose marks due to carelessness is wasteful.

For DD, money does not incentivise nor deter. I tried various methods, and in the end the one that worked was for her to make her do additional work everytime she exceeds a certain number of careless mistakes. But I think the real turnaround was this year when she came home with full marks on one of her tests and she said she checked her work properly and found 2 mistakes which she corrected else it will not be full marks.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am

sometimes they r just too young to aqppreciate that few marks, esp if they r not very competitive in nature and it may take a little bit more than or perhaps a major exams, such as PSLE to make them it the 'consequence'. Also, they do not listen as much to us as compared to their friends.

If their grp of friends r all aiming for some top schools...then they will see the direct impact of dropping a few marks here and there...and missing out on the 'upper tier' of schools.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:35 am

insider wrote:
Funz wrote:I tried various methods, and in the end the one that worked was for her to make her do additional work everytime she exceeds a certain number of careless mistakes.

I don't usually get my kids to do extras for carelessness but I will tell them casually and in an 'understanding' manner that mum thinks that you are tired and so your brain can't see clearly and get them to sleep half an hour earlier (and they hate to sleep early and so this 'punishment' is not punishment per se but it is still a 'punishment').

If your kid is like mine who dislike to sleep early, can try this as one of your methods...

They hate to sleep early. But I don't think this will have much impact on DD. Tried this before lah, for other transgressions she committed. She will basically just go to her room and laze in bed but not sleep and in the mean time, be in and out with a million and one excuses, be it to drink water or apply ointment on a mozzy bite. When forced to stay in bed she can create stories to keep herself occupied and wake up the next day with a head full of ideas and the next thing we know, she will be ordering us to the living room to watch a puppet show that she and DS will put up.

I know a lot of parents here do not advocate using more work as a form of punishment since the goal is to make the kids like doing work. By using it as a form of punishment, work will have a negative connotation. Frankly, I am not for it either. I resisted doing that, but in the end, tried it because I was really fresh out of ideas. And who knows, it actually worked, well for now anyway.

For DS, it is a different story. All it takes is for me to talk to him, ask him to reflect and voila, improvements.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Nebbermind wrote:wah! Using cane for careless mistakes!! :shock:

Ours is "threatened with cane" type. So far, his marks lost are really dunno type qn.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child