4 years girl wears makup

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

4 years girl wears makup

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Dear moms

Need your advice.

My 4 years girl recently crazy about anything related to princess . She like to dress like princess, wear long dress(must touch the ankle). Always demand to put on my lipstick, powder etc (after one try for her school concert). When doing colouring (regardless in school or at home), she will use colour pencil to paint her nails. When come home from school, often tells me one of her classmate ( a boy) will get married with her, and he is her prince etc.....

Is this normal for 4 years? althot i am working, I seldom put on make up and I never use nail polish. She has a few Barbie DVDs, I believe she pick up those idea from DVDs (she has limited access to TV and DVDs). I do not see the same behaviours with those neighbour friends whom she plays with every day. Also, she is very conscious about her appearance, she dress and comb her hair neatly, a very very mature girl.

Maybe it is nothing wrong for a girl to be like that, but isn't it too early for a 4 years old to behave like this? anyone has any advice? Thanks

Mandie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sashimi » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Pretty normal. :) Mine is like that, went through a phase. So long as she doesn't go overboard it's actually fine.

And good, because the simple truth is, in today's society, good looks WILL and DO bring you to places. People, companies and interviewers DO judge a book by the cover, no matter who denies it.

So, if your daughter takes it the right way, you could encourage her - in terms of building her ability to self-groom and also her self-esteem. Of course, inner beauty too. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby csc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:13 pm

My take is that it's better for her to be 'girly" than to be a 'tomboy". That will be another set of problems.

Somehow, as girls approach puberty, they dislike wearing dresses and skirts. It's so unlike when they were younger and you can dress them in all those lovely, floral , lacy dresses. Now, it takes a lot of persuasion before my daughter would put on one for CNY.

And mind you. It's neither floral nor lacy. I thought it looked simple and sweet, just right for a young teenaged girl. She just loves wearing jeans even though she is still quite lady-like.

Mandie, it's good that your daughter takes pride in her feminity. Maybe, just make sure it doesn't go towards the extreme. Dressing is fine but I won't encourage lipsticks and powder at such age - think it may do more harm to their naturally soft and flawless skin and lips. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Thank you Sashimi , CSC

phew! at least i know she is normal. I totally agreed not to let her wear make up, she sometimes just "steal" it from my purse and put it on. I have tried to reason with her and ensuring her natural beauty. But seems not very useful. Of course she doesn't do it all the time, but when there is party invitation, she will request for it, I have to threaten her no party if she wants to put on lipstick etc... Any advice for me how to talk to her nicely and let her believe she is pretty without using it at this age?

Mandie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby westmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm

How about telling her that there have been reports that certain lipsticks are cancer causing and so we have to be very careful about using one? You can search for such article in the web and read to her. Will that work? Since young, I have been telling my daughter that make up is for "adults" because chemicals in the cosmetics are damaging to their young skin. She can check it out herself by observing other kids ...See...they don't put on make up right...? because their mothers know it is no good for them. It works on her. She has never asked to put on "makeup" ever since...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sashimi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 am

Mandie, you could also try reverse psychology.
1) Assuming it's just a phase, let her try it once. Once she "gets it" that one time for novelty's sake, she may never ask for it again. That's what happened with my daughter.
2) Overdo the make-up and show her how funny it looks on her. Take off the make-up and show her how pretty she is, naturally. :)

sashimi
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:12 am

I would say she is on the high end of the normal band if she can get from your handbag to put it on. You can also let her try make-up that smudges when in contact with water. Show her it's even uglier especially prespiration is inevitable.

People wear make-up for a reason:
1. performance
2. hide a pale looking or unpleasant face
3. enhancement - is a good to have

and the flip-side of make-up:
1. damage the natural skin
2. does not allow your skin to breathe properly
3. looks artificial in some cases

If she has a need to go through the motion just get her a pretend-play makeup set.

You know glasses has a similar effect on some children? Some kids love to wear glasses and will pick everyone's glasses to put on? So if reasoning does not work, I know a friend who made a pair of zero prescription glasses for the child as pretend play. :D

Postby schellen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:51 am

You can also tell/show her how make-up will ruin her pretty clothes and that when she has makeup on, she must absolutely not do anything that will ruin it, e.g., play with other children at the party, touch her face/eyes/mouth even if it is itchy (good method if she has a habit of doing this), not eat cake or any food or drink cos lipstick will be gone (and she will be eating lipstick!) and any food stuck on her face will be wiped off together with the makeup.

This should deter her since no matter how much kids say they can do it, they just cannot sit still all the time and do nothing. She also wouldn't want to not wear pretty clothes to the party or not eat/drink anything.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Mandie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Thank you ladies, appreciate it.

I will try and let you know how it goes.... I will probably need to combine all the suggestions. Thanks again!

Mandie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby schellen » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Mandie wrote:Thank you ladies, appreciate it.

I will try and let you know how it goes.... I will probably need to combine all the suggestions. Thanks again!

You're welcome! :) But no matter how hard I try, and from all angles possible, sashimi doesn't look anything close to a lady. :wink: (sashimi is a daddy, by the way.)

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child