25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun May 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Recently I've been encountering a lot of students which I personally feel are rather rude. When I correct their behaviour, they claim that their parents did not teach them that their behaviour is inappropriate! Some even talked back to me and asked me who am I to tell them that what they are doing is not right/nice!

If you are a parent, do spend some time reading this article. I reposted it on my blog: http://thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com/

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... -9-2480238

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby smurf » Sun May 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi mrswong,

Have PM u few times but u didn't reply. :(

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:27 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun May 15, 2011 3:25 pm

smurf wrote:Hi mrswong,

Have PM u few times but u didn't reply. :(

Hi Smurf, I did not receive any PM??
Did you PM me during the 'upgrade' of the forum? Cos I was not able to log in for quite some time during/after the upgrade & when I managed to log in, there were no PMs for me?

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby kaka » Sun May 15, 2011 10:43 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:Recently I've been encountering a lot of students which I personally feel are rather rude. When I correct their behaviour, they claim that their parents did not teach them that their behaviour is inappropriate! Some even talked back to me and asked me who am I to tell them that what they are doing is not right/nice!

If you are a parent, do spend some time reading this article. I reposted it on my blog: http://thelittleonesinmylife.blogspot.com/

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... -9-2480238


Mrs Wong, thank you for sharing the article. Now that SA1 is over, it's time to reinforce some values and manners in our children. This article comes timely and serve as a platform of discussion with my children.

kaka
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:42 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby fristrom » Sat May 21, 2011 4:24 pm

The list can be extended but one thing obviously missing to me is:

- greet people when you see them eg. hello, good morning.

While I insisted that my kid greet people, it is a norm for her not receiving *any* response from adults and kids alike.

fristrom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby 2ppaamm » Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 am

I am not very good at teaching social manners to my children and I'm sure my lack of ability shows. So I don't have 25 manners that I teach, just 5 that I will teach my sons these three months. Small targets but I think achievable: (they were extracted from eHow)

1. Maintain eye contact with a soft gaze. Women and men both appreciate someone looking them in the eye when having conversation. But don't stare. Staring is awkward, uncomfortable and definitely not behavior becoming a gentleman.

2. Give fair and kind treatment to all. Giving preferential treatment goes against gentleman-like behavior. Seek to treat everyone with the respect and kindness they deserve. Be polite to everyone you meet, deferring preference to the other person over yourself.

3. Remain in control of your person and respect the boundaries and property of others. This includes common-sense behaviors that are generally disregarded in today's society, like not losing your temper. A gentleman never threatens anyone with his words or his physical ability.

4. Keep your word and arrive on time or early. If a promise becomes impossible, give the other person an immediate notification and an apology.

5. Remain humble. No matter your place or position in life, you haven't arrived yet and you never will. Retain the perspective that you haven't learned all there is to learn, don't know all there is to know and haven't accomplished everything you could accomplish.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2538
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby Oppsgal » Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 pm

1. No spitting anywhere except in bathroom basin.

2. Do not take belonging that belongs to others without seeking permission first.

:imanangel:

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby Oppsgal » Tue May 24, 2011 3:01 pm

fristrom wrote:The list can be extended but one thing obviously missing to me is:

- greet people when you see them eg. hello, good morning.

While I insisted that my kid greet people, it is a norm for her not receiving *any* response from adults and kids alike.


Is weird to greet strangers.

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 4:24 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby smartmummy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Mrs Wong!

Very nice! Good job :salute:
I think parent should do all these rather than just teach.Previously, I have changed myself for my son he also very obedient.But now he has changed his behaviour and i feel very stressful.Now I realise i also not dispilne nowerdays,so ihave to change myself then only he will change.Parents are the role model for them.What do you think? :goodpost:
:thankyou:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: 25 Manners Every Kid Should Know By Age 9

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 am

concern_parent wrote:Hi Mrs Wong!

Very nice! Good job :salute:
I think parent should do all these rather than just teach.Previously, I have changed myself for my son he also very obedient.But now he has changed his behaviour and i feel very stressful.Now I realise i also not dispilne nowerdays,so ihave to change myself then only he will change.Parents are the role model for them.What do you think? :goodpost:
:thankyou:


concern_parent, you are absolutely right ! Children learn by copying our behaviour. Even my 2 year old copied my cursing when I was frustrated with the *&^%# traffic. That is how we humans learn.

There is this mother who can always be heard to say "Darlings, be nice... " but they will never be nice. Why? Because day in and out, they watch their parents calling others "stupid idiots", fighting with other motorists over car park space, telling retail assistants off and demanding to see their managers. Will these kids grow up to be nice? Not likely.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am
Total Likes: 7


Next

Return to Working With Your Child