Child suddenly became withdrawn in class

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child suddenly became withdrawn in class

Postby Peonies » Mon May 16, 2011 3:43 pm

My 18 month old daughter suddenly became very withdrawn in her weekly enrichment class. Usually she likes to explore the classroom, walk around and smile or wave at the parents in class. She was also curious and liked to go to the front of the class to see what the teachers are drawing or pulling out from the trays or bags.

However, she was very reserved and stick to me or my hubby like glue during class recently. She no longer walks around or turn away when the teachers show her some toys or pictures. She cries easily too for no reasons. The teachers and parents have noticed the drastic changes and asked me what happened.

Frankly, I also do not know but I do suspect it could be due to her unpleasant experience in her childcare centre on her 2nd day of school (we have withdrew her since) becaues she started to have this 360 degree personality change after that.

Anyone knows how I can help her feel secure and enjoy her classes again? It's very sad to see my once active DD becomes depressed and reserved in her class. She is however, her usual self at home.

Peonies
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Child suddenly became withdrawn in class

Postby UncleLim » Sat May 28, 2011 1:38 pm

It could be nothing serious. Their personality change as they grow. Or it can be a mild form of school refusal which happens sometimes... and that goes away too after a while.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Peonies » Tue May 31, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for your comment, UncleLim. Yes, I agree with you cos I noticed my girl has gotten a bit better now and coming out of her shell again in class.

Peonies
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gt1122 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:01 pm

my kid was very warm when she was 3 ... then out of a sudden she refused to speak in school... till now she is 6

gt1122
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child