Handling/ Motivating a P3

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Handling/ Motivating a P3

Postby shandee » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 am

need help here..... :imdrowning:

my boy has been a mediorce academic performer whose priority is PLAY.
come exams time, it is both a very trying time for me & him.....he is very unwilling to do his homework/ revision.... at times he would throw tantrums.....i have tried both soft & hard methods, talk to him nicely/ used the cane.....but both methods proved futile

he has private one-to-one tuition on all subjects, tutors would come to our hse.....but results have not improved.....esp Chinese. Tutor have commented that it's his attitude and that hopefully as he grow older, he would be "enlightened" & start to perform better and that such students (esp boys) are common & that they would outgrow this phase.......i had thot so too but now i am beginning to wonder when the "enlightenment" would come...he is already in P3, how much longer can i afford to wait....? I do not want to regret later/ lament over why i didnt try to help him more.....what can i do ?

Now, trying to limit his play time, came up with a reward chart whereby he has to earn his play time......he is of course not receptive to it but hopefully tis would work....

Also, reconsidering his tuition arrg. since one-to-one tuition does not seem to work, should i explore tuition centre? however my one concern abt tuition centres is that the class would have many students...would my boy be able to focus & concentrate & gain from these sessions or would it be just a fun session, with what is taught conveniently forgotten once he step out of the class? I have also heard of other arrg whereby after school (pte ASC) , students goes to tutor's house and students would have tuition in group for 2-3 hours at a stretch.....have anyone heard/ can recommend any of such an arrg?

Any thing you can share would be appreciated!

shandee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Handling/ Motivating a P3

Postby smartmummy » Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 am

hi
currently i am facing same as you.my son also in p3.nowerdays he is more naughty.I realise that i need to improve my discipine level then he also folllows.Put schedule for everything with him and follow the schedule.I am a SAHM,so i prefer to teach him.So I know where is his weakness so I can give more pracise on that.if we send tution they cannot study with us so we don't know where they are weak.Most important thing we need to spend more time with them so they know we love them so they will listen to us.Make them Happy.Good Luck!

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HoSayLiao » Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 am

Hi. You mention you have used soft and hard method. Let me share with u a hard method I commonly see in my neighbourhood when I was growing up. The father will throw, or rather drag the boy out of the house with the books and locked him outside. When the boy finished his homework then can go back into the house.

The boy is really outside the house, not some kind of shame corner or naughty corner.

HoSayLiao
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby shandee » Sat May 28, 2011 11:07 am

HoSayLiao wrote:Hi. You mention you have used soft and hard method. Let me share with u a hard method I commonly see in my neighbourhood when I was growing up. The father will throw, or rather drag the boy out of the house with the books and locked him outside. When the boy finished his homework then can go back into the house.

The boy is really outside the house, not some kind of shame corner or naughty corner.

Wow! Tats pretty extreme.....

Nowadays, parenting is soo different.....we hv to see how kid respond to different parenting styles & adopt one tat works best.....we try to make learning fun, hoping that kids would enjoy wat they are doing & thus be able to perform......in the older times, "where are got such things?", our parents just leave us to be.....and still we made it....

shandee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby shandee » Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 am

concern_parent wrote:hi
currently i am facing same as you.my son also in p3.nowerdays he is more naughty.I realise that i need to improve my discipine level then he also folllows.Put schedule for everything with him and follow the schedule.I am a SAHM,so i prefer to teach him.So I know where is his weakness so I can give more pracise on that.if we send tution they cannot study with us so we don't know where they are weak.Most important thing we need to spend more time with them so they know we love them so they will listen to us.Make them Happy.Good Luck!

Kudos to you.....not easy to teach own kid plus the P3 syllabus are getting tougher.... i'm clueless at some of the math/ science questions

yes, schedule is important for kids so tat they know wat they are suppose to do.....i have that in plc as well, just started a "rewards" scheme - earns points for outdoor play/ IPAD/ computer, a weekly library visit and to ensure they read the books they borrow (earn points for each book read), am also cutting down his CCA time,.....well, starting these are easy, its the perseverance to "maintain" these at takes effort.....

shandee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby newuser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 am

My DS is in p3. One to one doesn't work for him. He is restless and refuse to stay attentive. Lately, I enroll him to home tutor who is coaching small group of 3 to 5 students in a class. So far after 2 lessons, it seems to work better cause the boys competes with each other and it motivates him to stay attentive. One lesson is 3 hrs with tea break. Another alternative.

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 am

newuser wrote:My DS is in p3. One to one doesn't work for him. He is restless and refuse to stay attentive. Lately, I enroll him to home tutor who is coaching small group of 3 to 5 students in a class. So far after 2 lessons, it seems to work better cause the boys competes with each other and it motivates him to stay attentive. One lesson is 3 hrs with tea break. Another alternative.

yeah, you are right,we also thinking to send him a tution.His nature also competitiveness.My DH prefer to send I also agree.But :moneyflies:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shandee » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 am

newuser wrote:My DS is in p3. One to one doesn't work for him. He is restless and refuse to stay attentive. Lately, I enroll him to home tutor who is coaching small group of 3 to 5 students in a class. So far after 2 lessons, it seems to work better cause the boys competes with each other and it motivates him to stay attentive. One lesson is 3 hrs with tea break. Another alternative.

I have heard of such arrg and am interested to explore this option. Where is this tuition plc and how much are the fees?

shandee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby newuser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm

It works out to be 375 for 8 lessons and each lesson is 3 hour including tea break snacks. Around hougang area.

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby newuser » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Pros is small group. Currently my DS class is 3 students. The tutor promise not to hv more than 5. Managable class size.
Cons tutor need to have structural lesson plan. So tutor plays an important part.

newuser
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child