How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby smartmummy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:35 am

My son in primary 3.He always very lazy to do practice.He asks why I need to do same type of questions again and again.I explained that practice makes perfect.If I sit with him only he will do.He alway asks if I finish can i see computer.I tell him if you do 5 days then one day you can see computer.Then he doesn't have any energy to do.How can make himself to study? Nowerdays he behaves very rude.I have some plan,but not sure all workout. I need to change myself (more discipline).Put a time table with him and go to play ground and play with a friend.once a week go outing.
Is anyone face these problems how did you solve?
:please: give some suggesstion/ :idea: ?.
:scratchhead:

:thankyou:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby coast » Thu May 26, 2011 4:53 pm

concern_parent wrote:My son in primary 3.He always very lazy to do practice.He asks why I need to do same type of questions again and again.I explained that practice makes perfect.If I sit with him only he will do.He alway asks if I finish can i see computer.I tell him if you do 5 days then one day you can see computer.Then he doesn't have any energy to do.How can make himself to study? Nowerdays he behaves very rude.I have some plan,but not sure all workout. I need to change myself (more discipline).Put a time table with him and go to play ground and play with a friend.once a week go outing.
Is anyone face these problems how did you solve?
:please: give some suggesstion/ :idea: ?.
:scratchhead:

:thankyou:



Hi concern_parent,

"practice makes perfect" does not apply to every situation. Every child is unique. Just to share, say for a particular Maths topic, I will look at the worksheets my ds did in school (his teachers will make parents sign the worksheets so that's when I check) and see if there is any area of concern. If so, let him practise those that he makes mistakes in school. During revision at home, some parents would choose the questions from assessments (reduce many repetitive questions) and only ask their kids to do the selected ones. For me, I just let my ds know which topic(s) he should do ... he is free to cross out repetitive questions but if he makes certain mistakes, then I will un-cross some of those questions and let him do so he can practise more after learning what was wrong with his earlier mistakes. His time could be better spent on more challenging questions or other subjects and non-academic stuffs.

As for playtime, being a P3 kid, I think you should allow him to have it daily. It would serve as a motivation for him to do his daily work and a more balanced daily life.

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby smartmummy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:12 pm

coast wrote:
concern_parent wrote:My son in primary 3.He always very lazy to do practice.He asks why I need to do same type of questions again and again.I explained that practice makes perfect.If I sit with him only he will do.He alway asks if I finish can i see computer.I tell him if you do 5 days then one day you can see computer.Then he doesn't have any energy to do.How can make himself to study? Nowerdays he behaves very rude.I have some plan,but not sure all workout. I need to change myself (more discipline).Put a time table with him and go to play ground and play with a friend.once a week go outing.
Is anyone face these problems how did you solve?
:please: give some suggesstion/ :idea: ?.
:scratchhead:

:thankyou:



Hi concern_parent,

"practice makes perfect" does not apply to every situation. Every child is unique. Just to share, say for a particular Maths topic, I will look at the worksheets my ds did in school (his teachers will make parents sign the worksheets so that's when I check) and see if there is any area of concern. If so, let him practise those that he makes mistakes in school. During revision at home, some parents would choose the questions from assessments (reduce many repetitive questions) and only ask their kids to do the selected ones. For me, I just let my ds know which topic(s) he should do ... he is free to cross out repetitive questions but if he makes certain mistakes, then I will un-cross some of those questions and let him do so he can practise more after learning what was wrong with his earlier mistakes. His time could be better spent on more challenging questions or other subjects and non-academic stuffs.

As for playtime, being a P3 kid, I think you should allow him to have it daily. It would serve as a motivation for him to do his daily work and a more balanced daily life.

Thanks for your kind explanation and you are right.Thank you very much. :smile:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby coast » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

concern_parent wrote:
coast wrote:
concern_parent wrote:My son in primary 3.He always very lazy to do practice.He asks why I need to do same type of questions again and again.I explained that practice makes perfect.If I sit with him only he will do.He alway asks if I finish can i see computer.I tell him if you do 5 days then one day you can see computer.Then he doesn't have any energy to do.How can make himself to study? Nowerdays he behaves very rude.I have some plan,but not sure all workout. I need to change myself (more discipline).Put a time table with him and go to play ground and play with a friend.once a week go outing.
Is anyone face these problems how did you solve?
:please: give some suggesstion/ :idea: ?.
:scratchhead:

:thankyou:



Hi concern_parent,

"practice makes perfect" does not apply to every situation. Every child is unique. Just to share, say for a particular Maths topic, I will look at the worksheets my ds did in school (his teachers will make parents sign the worksheets so that's when I check) and see if there is any area of concern. If so, let him practise those that he makes mistakes in school. During revision at home, some parents would choose the questions from assessments (reduce many repetitive questions) and only ask their kids to do the selected ones. For me, I just let my ds know which topic(s) he should do ... he is free to cross out repetitive questions but if he makes certain mistakes, then I will un-cross some of those questions and let him do so he can practise more after learning what was wrong with his earlier mistakes. His time could be better spent on more challenging questions or other subjects and non-academic stuffs.

As for playtime, being a P3 kid, I think you should allow him to have it daily. It would serve as a motivation for him to do his daily work and a more balanced daily life.

Thanks for your kind explanation and you are right.Thank you very much. :smile:


Hi, you are welcome :)

It will probably get more and more stressful as he moves to upper pri, esp P5/P6. Support your child for a happy and balanced life, what is important is instilling interests for his core subjects :)

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby smartmummy » Fri May 27, 2011 8:34 am

Hi coast!
yeah,thats why I scratched my head,now I got some idea,thank you so much for spending your time.Now I feel confident.I can do. :smile:

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4952
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: How to raise a responsible boy in studies?

Postby coast » Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 pm

concern_parent wrote:Hi coast!
yeah,thats why I scratched my head,now I got some idea,thank you so much for spending your time.Now I feel confident.I can do. :smile:


Happy for you and your kid :)

There are many parents here who could share their experience and offer suggestions ... so if you need help in future, just come back to KSP :)

coast
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm
Total Likes: 1



Return to Working With Your Child