Need some help!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Need some help!

Postby angela » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Dear all mummies,

I have a 10 months baby girl. She is a very active girl who likes to crawl about. Recently, I start flashing cards to her. If she is not siting on the chair, she will come forwards to snatch the flash cards.

Besides flashing cards, I also try to read storybooks to her but the same thing happen. She will also come and snatch away the books and she ownself flips the pages.

Can any mothers or fathers help me to deal with my little girl to sit down quietly and listen to the story?

Thanks

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:09 pm

I thought bb at this age cannot sit still? My going to 1 year old boy also like this.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby usaik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi Angela,

Sounds like you have an active and healthy baby girl who is eager to explore!

I do not think there is a need to make her sit down quietly and listen to story when at this stage, they learn best via touch and feel.

I am sure it is getting her all excited to learn when you flash the cards or take out the story books. I suggest you let her feel the materials she wanted to as long as it is safe for her to do so. Continue to talk to her or explain to her on things that she is exploring. Focus on things she is interested to do, instead of things and way we want it to be done.

usaik
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Need some help!

Postby phantom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm

angela wrote:Dear all mummies,

I have a 10 months baby girl. She is a very active girl who likes to crawl about. Recently, I start flashing cards to her. If she is not siting on the chair, she will come forwards to snatch the flash cards.

Besides flashing cards, I also try to read storybooks to her but the same thing happen. She will also come and snatch away the books and she ownself flips the pages.

Can any mothers or fathers help me to deal with my little girl to sit down quietly and listen to the story?

Thanks

My kid have the same behavior as yours when young, I still kept on flashing the card, just let them crawl around. As time goes, it will become sort of a habit and they will get used to it and slowly pay attention.

phantom
Site Admin

Postby angela » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks for all the mommies reply.

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 pm

You can try to let your gal sits in baby chair, and flash the cards. that way, she sits in and looks at u instead of crawling all over the shop.

as for book, I usually hold my boy firmly and show him the book. after 10 secs, he will try to crawl out though. so I try to let him concentrate for that 10 secs, and then try again.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mintcc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm

I think I used the Bumbo chair when DS is young. He loves to take my flash cards first but I told him I will give him the flash cards after I flash to him and he have to be patient. He seems okay with the compromise.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby angela » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 pm

smurf wrote:You can try to let your gal sits in baby chair, and flash the cards. that way, she sits in and looks at u instead of crawling all over the shop.

as for book, I usually hold my boy firmly and show him the book. after 10 secs, he will try to crawl out though. so I try to let him concentrate for that 10 secs, and then try again.

Now, I usually let her sit on a chair and then flash cards to her but sometimes, instead of looking at the flash cards, she will look at other things. I am wondering does it help her?

As for books, I will put her on my lap and read the book to her but she always wants to flip the pages by herself so usually can read one or two pages per day.

:x

angela
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:04 pm

my bb does the same, but I still cont flashing the cards to him.hee.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child