good sleeping habits

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

good sleeping habits

Postby dex5er » Fri May 27, 2011 5:25 pm

any idea how to teach your kids good sleeping habits? :snooze:

my kid always insist on leaving the lights on~

dex5er
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: good sleeping habits

Postby SBKS » Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm

dex5er wrote:any idea how to teach your kids good sleeping habits? :snooze:

Night light? progress to dimmer and dimmer and dimmer...to no more...

peg sleeping in the dark with rewards. or slp with ur kid initially and slowly go. its a progressive thing...not instant.

SBKS
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Good sleeping habits

Postby DesertWind » Sat May 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,
From young my boy sleep in our room and I never totally black out the room for bedtime. I always open one side of the curtain to let in the street lamp (yellow light outside) so that once your eyes get use to the dark, you can actually see quite clearly in the bedroom! Secondly, the aircon light somehow is brighter than usual which I find very irritating but provide another source of light in the room. Also I always switch on the music until my boy doze off....
Recently, we started leaving our boy to sleep the room on his own and surprisingly he was not afraid and did not insist we accompany him! (He is coming to 4 yo). So great! We have been leaving him to sleep by himself at night for about 2 weeks now and still find it surprising that he is actually liking it.
I think leaving the main bedroom light on is too much for my boy he won't be able to sleep.
For your boy may be a habit from young already to have the lights on?
A dim night light is a good idea...
All the best!

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby diam0nd-dust » Tue May 31, 2011 3:37 pm

SBKS wrote:
dex5er wrote:any idea how to teach your kids good sleeping habits? :snooze:

Night light? progress to dimmer and dimmer and dimmer...to no more...

peg sleeping in the dark with rewards. or slp with ur kid initially and slowly go. its a progressive thing...not instant.

how about those mood lights that can change colours? heard light/colour therapy can actually help to create a relaxing environment :snooze:

diam0nd-dust
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Good sleeping habits

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:16 pm

DesertWind wrote:Hi,
From young my boy sleep in our room and I never totally black out the room for bedtime. I always open one side of the curtain to let in the street lamp (yellow light outside) so that once your eyes get use to the dark, you can actually see quite clearly in the bedroom! Secondly, the aircon light somehow is brighter than usual which I find very irritating but provide another source of light in the room. Also I always switch on the music until my boy doze off....
Recently, we started leaving our boy to sleep the room on his own and surprisingly he was not afraid and did not insist we accompany him! (He is coming to 4 yo). So great! We have been leaving him to sleep by himself at night for about 2 weeks now and still find it surprising that he is actually liking it.
I think leaving the main bedroom light on is too much for my boy he won't be able to sleep.
For your boy may be a habit from young already to have the lights on?
A dim night light is a good idea...

All the best!

bright lights actually stimulate your body to produce less of the "sleep hormone", which can disrupt your sleep pattterns.

http://drzarkov.com/blog/2011/01/16/why ... rms-sleep/

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mama_g » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:37 pm

my DH told my 6YO DD that she will put on weight if she sleeps with light on... and ever since, she refuses to sleep with light on. :rahrah:

dun know true or not, DH claimed he read somewhere on this theroy.

mama_g
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sunflowerseed84 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 am

i thought is if never sleep enough then will put on weight? if i rmb correctly got a specific range of duration one.

sleep too much may end up putting on weight. :scared:

sunflowerseed84
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child