List of online gaming

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

List of online gaming

Postby Otah » Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 am

Can we run through a list of popular online games? in terms of their content, which are safe for teenagers (16yo) and below to play and which are not safe for them? Is maply story ok? heard it is addictive. Is DotA Ok, heard it teaches strategic planning to win battle ... Any more?

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: List of online gaming

Postby BlueBells » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 am

My DH and I play maple story, but have stopped for a while now. Yes, it can get very addictive too. To top it off, we introduced it to our DDs. we limit their playing times to weekends, an hour or two, and used it as an opportunity to illustrate how people can hide behind the online characters, and educate them on the dangers of providing personal information online. Of course, in the process and during that time that we played, we also made some very good online friends, whom we are still connected via FB, and have met up personally. There were also a couple of teenagers with whom we played with, and surprise, surprise, they shared with us things they don't share with their parents. So all in, it wasn't too bad an experience. It had provided me with a glimpse of what teenagers do behind their parents back, into their world.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Otah » Tue May 31, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks bluebee. For once I tried to play also lie, but just don't have the patient and I think I am more addictive to KSP forum. ...hee...

Just want to know if maplestory involve in real money trading? Why and what are being traded ? Why people spend money to buy ?cash to play? do they get back their cash if they win? I would object my kid from playing if the game involve real money trading.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Otah wrote:Can we run through a list of popular online games? in terms of their content, which are safe for teenagers (16yo) and below to play and which are not safe for them? Is maply story ok? heard it is addictive. Is DotA Ok, heard it teaches strategic planning to win battle ... Any more?

MapleStory is addictive. And they usually conduct events requiring players to login & play for at least an hour per day for many days in a row, inorder to get some in-game reward.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby northernstar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:57 am

I used to play Neopets too. anyone played b4 too? :) i think DotA abit violent when i saw my DH playin last time.

northernstar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cteo101 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:43 pm

DOTA is a strategic game based on warcraft 3.
there is some violence in it, but its mostly more cartoon like.
It can be somewhat addictive and individual games can last more then 2 hours.
But it does promote good motor skills, mulit-tasking and fast response,
it is one of those games that alot of adults play as well, though there can be alot of bad language and harassing of each other.

moderation is the key i guess, because u can only control them at home, not when they are outside.

hope this helps
:boogie:

cteo101
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby UncleLim » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 pm

I mistakenly clicked on this thread... I thought it was about "Online Gambling" !!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby liawkaiping » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Hmmm. Justin here. As an avid gamer (still a student) I have played many titles. I think all games are fine as long as the kid is above 11. Based on personal experience, I became violent when playing violent games at age 8. Then I stopped for a while. When I was 10, I decided to start gaming again and realised, once you know that fighting or violence is wrong, the game no longer influences you, but is rather something for fun and fun only. Also a stress reliever. As long as the children understand that fighting is not a good thing.
Cheers!

liawkaiping
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child