Child can't sit still in class

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Child can't sit still in class

Postby Poohbear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi,

Would like advise on how to train DD (in K1) to be able to sit still / talk in class.

Recently, DD's teacher created boxes in class for children who cant sit still/ talk during lesson/ walking ard during lesson. DD didnt tell me abt it until i went to her CC classroom. Apparently all children who cant sit still would sit in a box.

DD was actually quite proud that she has a boX :roll: But I was really concerned cos DD used to be a good student and seldom has negative feedback for the past 3 years in CC. She has been in CC since 18mths n the feedback generally has been she behaves herself.

I was thinking if her behavior arise out of boredom since she is ok with her work. I tried talking to the teacher. However, she say that the box is used only during circle time/story time and so boredom shld not be the issue. Anyway, she say that the box is not meant to be a punishment. Once the kids can sit properly, they are then not required to sit in the box.

I would say that DD academic progress is ok and belong to the "better" students grp in class. Socially, she is a bit shy with strangers but she enjoys her frens (esp the boys) very much.

In terms of discipline at home, i will usually rationalise with her before i use the cane occassionally. For this incident, i tried to talk to her after the feedback from teacher. She told me she knows that she should not talk when teacher is talking. However, she really want to talk to her fren. I told her she could talk during tv time, lunch time, etc.. She say tv time cannot talk cos will disturb the rest, lunch time must eat , cannot talk...

Maybe I worry too much.. she may outgrow it... but what if this gets worse... Just want to nip it in the buds where possible...I hv picked up a lot of tips from this forum and hope to get some advise on how i shld handle this...

Poohbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Child can't sit still in class

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Poohbear wrote:... DD was actually quite proud that she has a boX :roll: ...

err... perhaps that's exactly why she "won" the right to be in the box?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby buds » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Can't imagine the box..
Is it like normal carton box?
Can you describe it?

This method of discipline is
new to me personally.

What is your take on it
so far...? And does it
work on your kiddie?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poohbear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 pm

buds wrote:Can't imagine the box..
Is it like normal carton box?
Can you describe it?

This method of discipline is
new to me personally.

What is your take on it
so far...? And does it
work on your kiddie?

They use masking tapes to demarcate the boxes... there are abt 8-10 boxes .. 1 for each kid to sit in it...

They just started it a week ago... i dont see any positive effect as of now.. but somehow my "maternal instincts" is making me feel uncomfortable abt it... just cant explain why... just keep thinking abt it... hmm

Poohbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buds » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Truthfully, dear...
I'm uncomfortable just
by the sounds of it too.
Then how, your child
has been there for so
long. What you gonna
do abt it? Did you mention
to your spouse?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poohbear » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:12 pm

buds wrote:Truthfully, dear...
I'm uncomfortable just
by the sounds of it too.
Then how, your child
has been there for so
long. What you gonna
do abt it? Did you mention
to your spouse?

I m really at a loss too... DH just take it as a form of discipline by the sch.. he is not too concerned...

Now i can only ask DD to "buck up" and not talk / misbehave n hopefully she will be out of the box soon...

I thot of asking the teacher to take her out of the box... but decided against it since it will be "unfair" to the rest of the kids...

I m a FTWM... n this CC is v near my workplace n home... so logically is the most convenient place.. also she has frens there oredi...

What do u think of the possibility that she is bored? or could it be something more psychological like trying to get attention? Or it may just be plain playfulness and i m thinking too deep into it...

Poohbear
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MLR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Hiya Poohbear

My 2.5 yo boy has a similar issue (I won't call it a problem as yet). During lesson time, he would sometimes get up and want to help teacher hold the book or start singing/dancing around. Teacher would asked him to repeat the words taught, but he would just shake his head, instead during shower or nap time, he will recite what teacher taught him earlier. I went in during lesson time to observe him w/o his knowledge and I realise that he already knows what was taught and he was feeling bored. So he starts doing his own things, he has a pretty strong character and he has his own opinions on stuff.

A couple of Qs: Did she just start attendng this cc, does she behaves in the same manner at home recently? Is she your only child?

Since the box is a recent addition in class and she is quite proud that she has her own box, she could be wanting attention. The teacher say its not a mean of punishment, which is why it doesn't seem serious to your girl. If she is the only child, she could be feeling lonely which is why she really wants to talk to her friends. Or the cc do not allow much time for the children to intereact, which is becoming important to her as she gets older and developing social skills.
I would suggest that you go observe her during lesson time w/o her knowledge and judge it yourself. Although my boy is only 2.5yo, I always listen and hear what he is telling me. He gives me lots of new insight to life.

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child