Is 15 years old too young to send overseas for studies?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Is 15 years old too young to send overseas for studies?

Postby lovejoypeacce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

What do you think?

I am planning to send my dd to NZ and to enrol her as an international student in one of the colleges there. She will mostly likely be staying in a homestay.

The reason why I am contemplating this is because I think she will have a better education there - equal chances and more exposure to different subjects.

Please share.

thanks

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Is 15 years old too young to send overseas for studies?

Postby poppy15 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:06 pm

but since she's already 15 yo, why nt let her complete her secondary education here in Singapore first :?

poppy15
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:09 pm

IMO, too young to be without trusted supervision (and of the same value & yardstick as your own).

tankee
Site Admin

Postby lovejoypeacce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:16 pm

poppy15 wrote:but since she's already 15 yo, why nt let her complete her secondary education here in Singapore first :?

We have thought long and hard about this. She is currently taking N level in Singapore. I feel that as an N level student, her options are seriously curtailed under the current system. We attended a briefing session in her school and its seems that N students are not allowed to take certain subjects because they are deemed too difficult for these students.

I want to give her another alternative. A chance to study in a place where subject selection is not based on one capability but are open to all. Where if it takes longer for you to reach a certain route, it is still ok.

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm

It depends on the child. If your child has independent thinking and knows how to care for self, age is only a guide of their maturity. The main thing is ability to look after self and strong mind.

Postby CMF » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:34 pm

How well your child adapts overseas alone depends a lot on her temperament and character. For instance is she mature, an independent child, able to look after herself well, an extrovert, adaptable, "street smart", self motivated etc?

I studied overseas by myself from 19 years old. Although I was fortunate enough to have a family friend of about the same age to settle me in, a lot depended on how well I could adapt myself. Initially it was not easy, as there were bouts of homesickness to deal with (then there was no email, Skype etc), having to plan one's own schedule for everything, including laundry, cleaning of accommodation, food shopping, cooking and studies etc, was a good learning experience on the whole.

At the end of the day, although 15 years old is young, alot depends on the child; you have to assess your child, have a frank discussion with her on what to expect, and why you are doing it and the expectations you have.

Good luck!

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Oppsgal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Next question will be can she adapt alone there? Will she be safe there?

Oppsgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lovejoypeacce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:00 pm

She will be staying in a homestay arrangement with a local family where all her basic needs will be met. There are stringent laws governing this arrangement and as she is below 16, there will be a curfew of 6pm for her and the caregiver must be in the house at all times when she is home too.

Yes, the question will be adjustment and homesickness etc but she will have the chance to come home every 3 months or so...

lovejoypeacce
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:03 pm

lovejoypeacce wrote: to enrol her as an international student in one of the colleges there.

What abt Sg international schools?

These days we see many success stories of Sg students in the route of ITE/polytechnics.

Is it really necessary to go overseas?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Jennifer wrote:
lovejoypeacce wrote: to enrol her as an international student in one of the colleges there.

What abt Sg international schools?

Locals can go to international school?Wonder how much is the fee and which are the schools?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child