My daughter said "NO" often. WHY?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My daughter said "NO" often. WHY?

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 am

Hi everyone!
Why my daughter doesn't listen to me? She just can't follow me.When I teach her this is giraffe she said no its xxxxxxxxx. She created a name for it.Now reduced but still she has the habbit.I feel difficult to teach her.Is anyone experience like that?How do you handle?Pleace advice me :sad:

TIA

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: My daughter said "NO" often. WHY?

Postby Kissgurami » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:45 am

Hi Smartmummy,

how old is your DD :)

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 am

How old is your dd? If she's about 2-3, it's quite common. At that age they're trying to test the boundaries by saying no to everything. If she's 4-5, I'd put it down to an active imagination and creativity. It's alright. She's probably absorbing everything you say. :) I'm no expert of course, just speaking from a mother's POV. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am

My daughter is reach 5 yr old in August.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:20 am

jtoh wrote:How old is your dd? If she's about 2-3, it's quite common. At that age they're trying to test the boundaries by saying no to everything. If she's 4-5, I'd put it down to an active imagination and creativity. It's alright. She's probably absorbing everything you say. :) I'm no expert of course, just speaking from a mother's POV. :)

thank you for your kind advice

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 am

Kissgurami wrote:Hi Smartmummy,

Thank you for your kind response.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Kissgurami » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:53 am

smartmummy wrote:
Kissgurami wrote:Hi Smartmummy,

Thank you for your kind response.

You can play along with her and ask "why does <DD name> feels it is called XXX?" , Get her to open up and explain in her simple words. My DD2 just turned 5 years old and feels she is correct in everything and a super nag at that :sweat:

They are at an age where they find they are correct, just a matter of talking more to them and getting them to say how they came to this idea (although they tend to say "don't know") alot of probing is needed :smile:

You can try asking her to name things first before you say out the answer, easier to correct her thoughts as well.

Bring her to the library or get books , cover the pic, read out the word and match the picture with the words :smile: some of the ways IMO :smile:

Kissgurami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Kissgurami wrote:You can play along with her and ask "why does <DD name> feels it is called XXX?" , Get her to open up and explain in her simple words. My DD2 just turned 5 years old and feels she is correct in everything and a super nag at that :sweat:

They are at an age where they find they are correct, just a matter of talking more to them and getting them to say how they came to this idea (although they tend to say "don't know") alot of probing is needed :smile:

You can try asking her to name things first before you say out the answer, easier to correct her thoughts as well.

Bring her to the library or get books , cover the pic, read out the word and match the picture with the words :smile: some of the ways IMO :smile:

Thank you.She always say no but she learnt from me.Now she knows words.When I explain something she said no.Sometimes I get irritating.Otherwise ok.I think I need constant practice with her.
Whenever I go with her I ask what is that what is this.Explain.Today she response well.I have boosted some confidence from kiasu parents.Thanks to all!

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Pen88n » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:43 pm

As most mummies have said, your gal is probably testing boundaries. She wants to have things her way. For some very small matters, just let it go or ignore it and continue. But at times, you need to set the boundary as well and not give in. Example:
Mummy: This is a giraffe
Gal: No, this is Benny
Mummy: Oh, this is Benny the Giraffe. Benny is his name, but he is a giraffe.

I think sometimes it is impt to establish the boundary and ensure the kid knows who is the authority subtly. Without establishing this authority when they are young, one might find the kids becoming "uncontrollable" when they grow up.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Pen88n wrote:As most mummies have said, your gal is probably testing boundaries. She wants to have things her way. For some very small matters, just let it go or ignore it and continue. But at times, you need to set the boundary as well and not give in. Example:
Mummy: This is a giraffe
Gal: No, this is Benny
Mummy: Oh, this is Benny the Giraffe. Benny is his name, but he is a giraffe.

I think sometimes it is impt to establish the boundary and ensure the kid knows who is the authority subtly. Without establishing this authority when they are young, one might find the kids becoming "uncontrollable" when they grow up.

Thank you for your advice.You remind me something.She always asks people names.She remember their names.May be she likes to call by specific names.I have to speak more with her.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child