How to build organisation skill in kids?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to build organisation skill in kids?

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi all!
My son in P3 and 9 yo.
Does your kids has organisation skill?My son very poor on that.He always lost his pencil,ruler,eraser,etc.He never put back in proper place.From early age onwards I keep on telling,but he doesn't has the habbit.Yesterday he brought 4 pencils,evening I checked the purse only two were there.I asked him where, he said in the bag.How to handle this?Please help me.
TIA

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to build organisation skill in kids?

Postby kayatoaster » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am

start from his toys? like get him a toy box and tell him if he nvr keep his things properly he will not get any replacement if they are lost.

maybe have to control his stationary buying oso? if not he will always think that once lost can just buy new pencils/rubbers etc.

kayatoaster
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby acforfamily » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I will make him search everywhere in the house, even if I know it is not in the house and he may have lost it somewhere
He will learn his lesson if you do it a few times

sorry, evil mother here

acforfamily
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby smartmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi kayatoaster,acforfamily

Thank you for the suggestions.Actually, when he was in playgroup he had the habbit.After that my mom came here,she only changed the habbit.I asked him to do, she did,that time I told her don't spoil him.She didn't listen to me.When she started to caregiver for him all his behaviour has changed.I am not sure the reason is above or is normally happend when children grows up :?

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:02 am

Hi smartmummy,

I share your frustration and have the same problem with my P3 ds too. We have been trying to help him since young but still not much improvements. I believe this is his character.

Whenever we attend PTC, the teachers always told us he's disorganised, absent minded and has poor handwriting. I've read a book and I think my ds has the traits of a "Dreamer". His mind is always preoccupied with things that he conjure his thinkings and neglects the details in everyday life.

As a parent, we're always trying to help him and these are some ways we've done:-
1) Packing of school bags - I've to keep checking on the way he packed. Eg. bigger to smaller books. Folder with tabs for each subjects. Still have to periodically check as he will lapse after some time. Lots of papers - need to throw away (he loves to draw). I tried giving him sketch book. It helps a bit but he still collect bits of papers here and there. Sigh, he's my "karang guni" boy.

2) Write a short note on what he has to do after coming home daily. Still have to remind or point him to the note. He tends to day dream and will forget what he's supposed to do.

3) Lost items. I used to scold him or ask him to use his pocket money to pay for small items. In the end it cause so much unhappiness. I resort to buying small items and replace at times. Just too tired so I choose my battle.

Anyway, I'm still learning and like you would definitely welcome any further suggestions.

Cheers

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:21 am

my son is disorganised, but saving grace is that he follows instructions pretty well.
so i do the organising and he follows through. ie i set the timetable, instructions, and he don't have to think much and just follow.
maybe you can breakdown what little poor habits that contribute to the absented mindedness (eg did not pay attention when you instruct etc? forgetful) or disorganisation before you can see which one you want to tackle first.

heyhoe,
if your boy likes to collect papers, give him a folder/clip so that he can keep those papers in this folder/clip them together (or any special compartment in the bags just for this. my boy likes to keep little used stuff (!!!) like short pencils, tiny pcs of erasers. i instructed him to only keep them in one pocket of his pencil case. and his other useless papers in one folder while sch homework in another. my boy also has a organiser book on his desk (i flipped to the exact pg each week) where i wrote down stuff to do for the week. i also reminded him to write down what impt stuff he needs to remind himself about (though he still forgets now and then).
JMHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kayatoaster » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 pm

starting from the sch bag is a very good idea. some kids just anyhow put papers into their bags without proper filing and in the end all become 'salty vege' lol.

check their sch bags often oso to see if they bring any 'rubbish' to sch/home. :evil:

kayatoaster
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Heyhoe, Jedamum
Thanks for the tips- very sensible ones.

So for my DS (in P1 this year) is ok - No many things lost, some junk in bag but ok on the whole. I help to go thru the bag with him once a week during the weekend, weekdays its his duty to take care. One lazy mum here :oops:

Heyhoe , Your comment "Sigh, he's my "karang guni" boy." so touched me. What is so beautiful about this is that you accepted him whole heartedly and found ways to work around his personality. And you do so realistically. Kudos.
:salute:

The beauty of this site is these nuggets of insights i get , to improve myself.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smartmummy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi All!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.Its really helps me.comfort me as i am not alone.

smartmummy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby heyhoe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Jedamum,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I like your suggestions on the organiser and will work with Ds on planning his revision.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child