Pls help my p4 gal....

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pls help my p4 gal....

Postby wewecheng » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 pm

My gal is now P4 studying in Keming Pri sch. Her CA1 results had all dropped. Her results are range from 50 to 60 marks. She is still playful and does not understand the <concept> of being serious in examinations.

I had a long chat with her form teacher. She is a <happy> study but does not put an effort on concentration. teacher advised me to revise her old work before moving to a new chapter.

I had tried my best. She is with student care now (with tution) and also had engaged a personal tutor for her Maths, sending her to the tution center for English, Science and Chinese once a week.

I am really worried and stress. Pls advise on how to help my gal. I had talked to her many times and also get her form teacher to talk to her.

Any advise.

Desperate Mum :?

wewecheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Pls help my p4 gal....

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:28 pm

wewecheng wrote:My gal is now P4 studying in Keming Pri sch. Her CA1 results had all dropped. Her results are range from 50 to 60 marks. She is still playful and does not understand the <concept> of being serious in examinations...

Dear wewecheng, don't worry, you are not the only one. Lots of parents have the same problem too: kids with a most carefree, can't-be-bothered attitudes. That's why classes such as MindChamps are so popular in Singapore. Why not go down to the free talk on parentology this Thursday in SMU and see if you can learn something?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Emelyn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:07 am

Is the talk good ?
I understand that the speaker has not much experience working with children. Only raising his own 2 sons.
So, am quite skeptical how much one can gain from his talks.

A friend went to a 2-day workshop in Jan09. And her conclusion is, the talk is useful for those very hands-off parents. I believe most parents in this forum are very hands-on.

Just my 2c worth.

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mintcc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Emelyn,

I went for the free seminar and my impression is that the talk will probably be very beneficial for parents who are accustom to using punishment, bribes and naggging to get their children to do what they want. It is a different perspective on how to motivate and help chidlren improve. Most of the parents at the free seminar have primary school age chidlren so many of the issues may be what you are concern with.

Not too sure about the 2- day workshop though.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Emelyn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Mincy,

Care to share what method we can use other than bride, nag and punish ??

I'm a working mother of 3 kids without any helper at home. So, night time very very very tough for me to go out.

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:23 pm

hi wewecheng, just want to find out more before we can see how to tackle them.

1) "She is still playful" - playful in terms of use a lot of her time playing toys, computer games, watching TV ?

2) "teacher advised me to revise her old work before moving to a new chapter." - did you get the tuition teachers to do that ?

Bascially, other than bribe, nag and punish, I find that setting and observing house rules are very important and should start at young. At this age, you could also try out setting time schedules for her which include home work, house work, play and relax time.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Emelyn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:36 pm

I find talking to my DS1 (P4 too) very stressful.
If he is in a good mood....everything is fine.
If he is in a not-so-good mood.....something I said could trigger a volcano eruption.

Just 5 mins ago, I ask him if he has checked with his Sony Creative Award partner about his meeting with the teacher.

He said "no... can't be bothered".
I said "but you are joining the competition, you need to know what XXX has discussed with the teacher."
He : "I don't want to join anymore"
I : "You need to be responsbile. YOu have already submitted the entry form. If you decided to pull out, you need to let the teacher know."
He : "Why me ? you go and tell the teacher lah."

then he started to cry.

Sigh Sigh Sigh.

Emelyn
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby wewecheng » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi Daisyt,

1) "She is still playful" - playful in terms of use a lot of her time playing toys, computer games, watching TV ?

Playful - lack of concentration, mind wanderer, always wanted to complete fast and spend her time playing with her stuff toys..for eg. baby alive...

2) "teacher advised me to revise her old work before moving to a new chapter." - did you get the tuition teachers to do that ?

I had a long chat with her last week. she cried and saying that the tutor is very fierce and always compare her with other students. I admit that the tutor at times talk in a loud tone. She nows even reluctant to have her tution and request to change her tutor.

Now, just pray hard and hope she will grow mature in time to understand about the importance of education.

cheerio

wewecheng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:23 pm

I highly recommend parents to watch "Supernanny". I personally find her methods are very useful and effective. I have seen a few episodes on how she handle small kids about 3 years old to a girl of 13 years old. Clap * Clap * Clap * :D Disciplines + Persistance

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:33 pm

daisyt wrote:I highly recommend parents to watch "Supernanny".

i had only watched a few episodes of Supernanny and personally, i felt that it is more of a showcase of how badly the parents handle the kids that shed some light on our own relationship with our kids (ie clearer as 3rd person point of view).

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child