LEARNConcierge

How to tell if a child is gifted?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: How to tell if a child is gifted?

Postby zac's mum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Thank u so much for your kind advise .. really appreciate it . For school i guess he is too bored . I am not sure if i should home school him

No problem. If it’s any assurance, my DS is also very mischievous and his K1/K2 teacher found him and his BFF walking around collecting the erasers during writing time & using them as building blocks to build a pretend fire station :rotflmao: I’m glad the teacher saw the creative side of it & laughed while telling me rather than scolding me!

But yeah...I did entertain thoughts of homeschooling my kid...until I realized that I myself alone cannot keep up with his non-stop questions or super high level of energy :lol:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blissedsher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Blissedsher wrote:Thank u so much for your kind advise .. really appreciate it . For school i guess he is too bored . I am not sure if i should home school him

No problem. If it’s any assurance, my DS is also very mischievous and his K1/K2 teacher found him and his BFF walking around collecting the erasers during writing time & using them as building blocks to build a pretend fire station :rotflmao: I’m glad the teacher saw the creative side of it & laughed while telling me rather than scolding me!

But yeah...I did entertain thoughts of homeschooling my kid...until I realized that I myself alone cannot keep up with his non-stop questions or super high level of energy :lol:

Is ur child tested to be gifted ? At least ur teacher entertained u . Mine is not so . More of an old sch kind of teacher n no nonsense . So u can imagine her disbelief look on her face when my son comes up with some stunts

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zac's mum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Is ur child tested to be gifted ? At least ur teacher entertained u . Mine is not so . More of an old sch kind of teacher n no nonsense . So u can imagine her disbelief look on her face when my son comes up with some stunts

I did not have his IQ tested, although I have my suspicions. Guess I will have an answer next year when he goes thru the GEP screening.

IMO, the problem is with the teacher’s old-school-ness. It’s probably not worth it to change preschool or fight her complaints. Just try your best to coach him to minimize noisy disruptions...although I know it’s very hard!

If he’s musically-inclined, you can also consider some sort of external music enrichment for him. It provides a legitmate outlet for his creativity. Strong-willed children (if they fall in love with a particular instrument) are very loyal and determined in their music practice. My DS was learning piano and now learning violin. Some boys especially enjoy drums because it lets them vent their suppressed anger in an acceptable way.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blissedsher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 pm

Thank u very much for your reply . I will explore music instruments with him . For now he is asking for chess club so will let him try that first .

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zac's mum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Thank u very much for your reply . I will explore music instruments with him . For now he is asking for chess club so will let him try that first .

Hey let me know if you find a good chess club to join?

We have a chess set at home so I started out by showing him how each piece moves in K2. He caught it very quickly. And then because I don’t know about chess strategy etc I sent him to Singapore Chess Federation at Bishan CC for their beginners holiday intensive course. He came back excitedly teaching me about castling and how to count the points (which I didn’t know). But the teacher commented that he cannot sit still for the 2-hour sessions. So I haven’t sent him for the more advanced course, which is 3 hours :slapshead:

He is on a chess hiatus until I can find one place that isn’t so rigid & old school. Hopefully someone can introduce a place where the teachers are more flexible about session lengths. Or at least understand that not every chess-lover is a quiet nerdy type lol

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blissedsher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:11 pm

My son has tried the same course too! Ya he was fidgety so we didnt go on to next level too . But he is pestering me about it . So see how. But for chess i guess they really need to have that focus to sit thru the game.

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Blissedsher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 am

Thank u so much to those who pmed me . I cant seem to reply . So i gotta do it here. Thanks for the tips . I am also working on my own patience . Will try harder to talk to him .

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zac's mum » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 am

Blissedsher wrote:My son has tried the same course too! Ya he was fidgety so we didnt go on to next level too . But he is pestering me about it . So see how. But for chess i guess they really need to have that focus to sit thru the game.

Hi I was just about to PM you. Wanted to arrange a chess playdate for our boys if you’re keen. If they need more expert advice I will try to find a private coach who is open to coaching the 2 of them. My DS likes to talk his way thru his moves. And ask plenty of questions. And chitchat along the way. Undoubtedly this is frowned upon during mass group lessons.

Please email me directly if your PM is still not working: grace55grace@yahoo.com

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JY2011 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Blissedsher wrote:Thank u so much to those who pmed me . I cant seem to reply . So i gotta do it here. Thanks for the tips . I am also working on my own patience . Will try harder to talk to him .

Hi, Blissedsher.

Sometimes, things can be settled in less stressful way if we take note on our tone and way when talking to the kids, especially for strong-willed type (agreed with Zac's mum - they don't like to be told what to do and not to do and give them choices if possible). For emotional sensitive kids, it is quite stressful for the caregivers, classmates and teachers (basically people around he/she) as the kids can just act out or throw tantrums uncontrollably and unexpectedly. Tips like let them calm down first and acknowledge their feeling after that (instead of scolding or spanking) will be helpful to deal with the kids' tantrums/mischef behaviours in the future. Also, has to be patient enough to see the improvement due to their stubbornness to change themselves.

Can pm me if you need to talk in private message.

Hope my reply is not too late.

JY2011
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Blissedsher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:25 pm

JY2011 wrote:
Blissedsher wrote:Thank u so much to those who pmed me . I cant seem to reply . So i gotta do it here. Thanks for the tips . I am also working on my own patience . Will try harder to talk to him .

Hi, Blissedsher.

Sometimes, things can be settled in less stressful way if we take note on our tone and way when talking to the kids, especially for strong-willed type (agreed with Zac's mum - they don't like to be told what to do and not to do and give them choices if possible). For emotional sensitive kids, it is quite stressful for the caregivers, classmates and teachers (basically people around he/she) as the kids can just act out or throw tantrums uncontrollably and unexpectedly. Tips like let them calm down first and acknowledge their feeling after that (instead of scolding or spanking) will be helpful to deal with the kids' tantrums/mischef behaviours in the future. Also, has to be patient enough to see the improvement due to their stubbornness to change themselves.

Can pm me if you need to talk in private message.

Hope my reply is not too late.

Thank u for reply . I cant send pm i am not sure why . Wonder if you have any idea if emotional sensitivities manifest as tantrum throwing amd crying? Or more like being extremely sad over things they cant control ?

Blissedsher
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child

LEARNConcierge